By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

30 May 1984 - Liverpool FC v Roma

Bao

Not a game that gets a lot of mentions. It made UEFA bring in a rule that teams couldn't play at home in the final (though I think that may have now been rescinded). We controlled most of the game and had a great penalty shootout, especially after a very young Steve Nicol missed the first one. Souness and Lawrenson had great games and of course Grobbelaar and Alan Kennedy were the shootout heroes. My first European away, on a charter so didn't do all the days there and back by road and train that others many did. Even having the coach to pick us up and take us back to the airport, we experienced more than a few incidents, especially after the match and friends travelling by train had a very rough night. Arrived home the next morning about 7.30 and was made to go to school by my mother.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Never knew that about the "home finals" but I think you're right as Munich played Chelsea in 2012 in their stadium.

Isn't there a story about Steve Nicol that Phil Neale looked around for the ball to take the 1st peno and saw that Nicol was already striding forward with it under his arm.

Just now, DazzlaJ said:

Never quite got Subbuteo

Yeah, looking back it was very odd. Loved it at the time but yep, it's just an weird thing that bear no resemblance to the actual sport of football. 

3 hours ago, Cobs said:

These things are nigh on impossible to quantify but, for me, It’s probably Liverpool FCs peak moment.

That’s got me thinking.

You’re probably right but it’s still got me thinking.

Vogts bringing down Keegan, Molby’s pass to Rush, Fernandinho’s handball...

Falcao was thought to be the best midfielder in the world at the time - then ran into Souness that night who disabused him of such nonsense.

(He was a magnificent footballer TBF. We just throttled him)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mofus77 said:

Solid shout I reckon. Treble that year as well wasn't it?

3rd title in a row

4th league cup in a row

4th EC in 8 years won in the opponents own ground

I think 76-77 is v close with a fluke deflection in the FA cup final beating us from the treble 

You could say 78-79 more efficient between front/back

87-88 more free flowing and easy in the eye

2019-20 was a stunning sprint to the title 

but, for me, 83-84 that was Liverpool FC as football winning machine a culmination of savvy,  grit, fight and skill. The best CB pairing, the best CM and the best strike pairing there’s been in British football (but I am bias as f***). 

• Like 3

Should also be said - with all the City shenanigans going on 

76-84   9 years in a row of winning the League and/or the European Cup is a staggering achievement.

And in 83-4 we beat Everton in the League Cup final. United were our main league challengers throughout the season before collapsing a bit at the end to finish 4th and City & Chelsea were pre criminal finances backing so were in Division 2 :) 

Edited by Cobs