Sign in to follow this  
McBain

The Athletic

And Daniel Taylor.

He was going to the daily mail until this bunch started up. Now on treble the salary that the guardian paid.

Edited by muleskinner

He was going to the daily mail until this bunch started up. Now on treble the salary that the guardian paid.

Jesus. And he's one of the less good writers I've seen involved with it.  

Jesus. And he's one of the less good writers I've seen involved with it.  

His reputation is huge though isn't it, I imagine he'd be one of their big earners?

His reputation is huge though isn't it, I imagine he'd be one of their big earners?

Guess so, was clearly promoted above his actual talent level at the Guardian. And at the time it seemed his promotions were based on having his head lodged up Ferguson's colon. 

The Suarez Affair made his reputation.

Think it was his stuff on the noncing at Crewe that really made him.

He literally couldn't write his weekly Observer column without shoehorning in a Clough eulogy.

I think he's a good writer when he doesn't write about Liverpool, Manchester United or Nottingham Forest. 

I've had a go of the £30 for the year sub. Read about 6 or 7 pieces so far and it's quite good. Interested to see how it develops when the season starts. 

While it’s good journalists are getting paid well, the lads behind it sound like bad bells:

Mather is unequivocal about The Athletic’s ambition to revolutionise the sports journalism industry.

He told the New York Times: “We will wait every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing. We will suck them dry of their best talent at every moment. We will make business extremely difficult for them.”

Edited by goodrobotusses

Haha f*** sake. He said that in an underground bunker whilst stroking a cat.

That c*** Neil Custis is losing his s*** over this on Twitter. Literally replied ‘Zzzzzzz’ to someone announcing they’d started there. Bitter he wasn’t even considered I hope.

Edited by Swipe

While it’s good journalists are getting paid well, the lads behind it sound like bad bells:

Probably got Steve Bannon on board in an advisory role.

I hope it is a complete failure just on the basis of that comment you quoted.

And they are only journalists, and sports journalists at that. They aren't breaking Watergate or exposing Blood Sunday or anything. Some of them have got a massively inflated view of what they do.

Yeah they really are. None of the journos who’ve jumped ship seem like particularly good writers to me. Which is surely why you’d join.

Do you get all the American nfl stuff if you get a sub over here? That might be interesting

Yeah they really are. None of the journos who’ve jumped ship seem like particularly good writers to me. Which is surely why you’d join.

Do you get all the American nfl stuff if you get a sub over here? That might be interesting

Yes you do. It's really good imo. Worth a try if they are offering a trial.

Simon Hughes is on there. There business model/aim stinks of s*** tho so I'm not bothering with it.

The idea that they are trying to strangle the life out of other news organisations and local media outlets doesn’t sit right with me. It’s not just a by-product, it’s their goal. For that reason alone they can f*** off.

They sound like a load of Silicon Valley Republicans with Zuckerberg complexes

That's most of the tech industry. It's mostly a libertarian w***-fest these days

The idea that they are trying to strangle the life out of other news organisations and local media outlets doesn’t sit right with me. It’s not just a by-product, it’s their goal. For that reason alone they can f*** off.

Yup. w***ers.