By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Welcome Javier Manquillo

David Hodgson

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit non-plussed with all these defenders being signed after Flanagan was so good last season. What are BR's plans for him?

Last season our only viable FBs were Flanagan and Johnson. Kelly is a permacrock and has since gone. Enrique is a permacrock. Wisdom was and is on loan. Even with Flanagan available plus a supposedly sound FB to push Johnson, you still need at least one FB you're comfortable with in possession (not so much the FB being in possession, but the CMs being in possession and the FBs offering an outlet up the field). And so, with the squad we had, Johnson was guaranteed a place in the XI. What we needed was a couple of possession-oriented FBs, one on each side, to be viable options and push Johnson to either perform or get out of the side. That seems to be what we've got.

What's more puzzling to me is the CB situation, particularly regarding Sakho. I'm assuming Agger, Coates and Toure to be spare wheels and surplus except for the last man standing to be the spare spare CB. But Sakho was signed for big money last year, yet Lovren has been signed to play in the LCB position, with Skrtel a fixture at RCB.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems very keen to get close to his man and force him to play it backwards than allow him to get turned. I think Johnson has a problem getting back in, cause the left back slot isnt available for him to shift over to and if we want this kid for the future from Atleti then he has to play.

If the lad keeps it up then we could let Johnson go in January for a nominal fee (£1mln) and get his wages off the books for the last 6 months (estimated at £2.5mln) - leaves Flannon (RB) and Enrique (LB) as back ups.

Thats just mindless speculation but the jersey is Manquillo's to keep and if he keeps it up then there is no reason for Johnson to come back in.

Edited by Rory Fitzgerald

Manquillo played well tonight but i still think glen gets his place back as soon as he's fit

This is a classic case of succession planning. The fella has settled in remarkably well which is unusual. He is on loan so we have no guarantee of getting him but we will increase our chances if he is allowed stake his claim for No.1

Johnson on the other hand is in the last year of his contract and it would appear he wont be offered an extension and his performances havent been on it lately.

I think there other factors at play here and if the kid is performing well then he keeps the jersey because his progression should only be one way. if he hits a wall like Insua in 2010 then we take him out but when he is on form then keep him in there I think.

I'm still unsure what the deal is with his loan - Atleti can still take him back after the 2 years is up and we can't force the issue and buy him if they want him back, is that right?

I'm not entirely sure. However, Atleti are unlikely to be waiting around to see if this guy comes good or not. If they bed down the right back position in the next 2 years and we like Manquillo then we can get him .... not for £5mln though if he is succesful, maybe 10-12m. However, its a price Atleti might take to stenghten another area whilst it maybe seen as a good deal for young Spaniard that has settled well .......... and could still be sold at a profit when he is 27/28 if he wants to move back to Spain.

I'm not entirely sure. However, Atleti are unlikely to be waiting around to see if this guy comes good or not. If they bed down the right back position in the next 2 years and we like Manquillo then we can get him .... not for £5mln though if he is succesful, maybe 10-12m. However, its a price Atleti might take to stenghten another area whilst it maybe seen as a good deal for young Spaniard that has settled well .......... and could still be sold at a profit when he is 27/28 if he wants to move back to Spain.

So there's no pre agreed option to buy fee set then?

He's a bit raw still and makes the odd mistake and it's obviously too early to make a definitive judgement but long term I think him and Moreno could lock down our full back positions for a good while - they both have exceptional promise.

I'm still unsure what the deal is with his loan - Atleti can still take him back after the 2 years is up and we can't force the issue and buy him if they want him back, is that right?

No, we have a fee agreed for which we can buy him after 2 years. Or let him go back.

We also have a fee agreed with Atleti, where they can buy him back out of his loan / potential transfer next summer.

It's a bit odd. But basically, if he's still here next season, he's ours if we want him for the fee already agreed.

Edited by Billy Talbot