By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Welcome Javier Manquillo

David Hodgson

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnson on form is the best right back in the league.

He just hasn't shown that form for about 24 months.

at his best johnson's an asset. but would say he's had an issue with consistency for whatever reasons throughout his time here, to one extent or another. there were periods last season where he was influential. but hard to accomodate big dips.

That's why he is being replaced, the Johnson as a viable option at FB boat left port ages ago, he should have been replaced 12 months ago, if anyone offers a fee we should look to get rid. His 'best' hasn't been seen since before 2012.

So the concensus is that now we've signed someone else's reserve, who has barely played never mind in the premier league, it is a good time to let an international right back leave? Madness.

If Flanagan starts first choice, fine but if he gets injured or loses form we need better options than Manquillo or Kelly and even in his current decline, Johnson is. He's not quite 30 yet so not quite past it yet. Manquillo will have a similar impact this season as Alberto did last.

Your wife not nurse. She Nurse. Your wife patient. Be patient. She Nurse. Your wife. Me doctor. Yew Tree. U-trecht. U-Manquillo, U Thant, Euphemism. Me Doctor.

I'm not sure how Manquillo and (Poss.) Moreno will perform, but at the very least we'll have more options and some healthy competition for places.

Your wife not nurse. She Nurse. Your wife patient. Be patient. She Nurse. Your wife. Me doctor. Yew Tree. U-trecht. U-Manquillo, U Thant, Euphemism. Me Doctor.

I'm not sure how Manquillo and (Poss.) Moreno will perform, but at the very least we'll have more options and some healthy competition for places.

U ok, Hun?

So the concensus is that now we've signed someone else's reserve, who has barely played never mind in the premier league, it is a good time to let an international right back leave? Madness.

If Flanagan starts first choice, fine but if he gets injured or loses form we need better options than Manquillo or Kelly and even in his current decline, Johnson is. He's not quite 30 yet so not quite past it yet. Manquillo will have a similar impact this season as Alberto did last.

"international right back" an interesting term you chose to describe our currently completely out of form (over two years) right back who has been a major weakness for a good while.

"We need better options than Manquillo" How do you know he is an excellent player?

A manager who doesnt rotate and has the brilliant Juan Fran in his place meant Manquillo didnt play too much, he sounds like he is very highly rated in Spain, why not give the lad a chance?

Coutinho wasnt getting in the Inter side, Sturridge in the Chelsea side etc etc

Up there with the greatest most bizarre posts on here.

Sturridge and Coutinho couldn't get into their teams when we signed them. They've done alright.

True. But Aspas couldn't get into his team last season. Same with Cleverly, Bertrand, Defoe, Bendtner and Rodwell. Because they're sh*t.

Manquillo is cover for whoever is first choice, be it GloJo or a new signing. And i suspect Glen will be it (before going abroad next year).

The reason he is an 'international right back' is that the national team is managed by a clueless owl.

Edited by RedMersey

True. But Aspas couldn't get into his team last season. Same with Cleverly, Bertrand, Defoe, Bendtner and Rodwell. Because they're sh*t.

Manquillo is cover for whoever is first choice, be it GloJo or a new signing. And i suspect Glen will be it (before going abroad next year).

Johnson might start the season at RB but if he plays like he has for the last 18 months he won't last long as first choice. I had thought he'd be off but QPR getting Isla has probably ended that.

I think we're looking at Manquillo like he's Moreno of 12 months ago. A great prospect with not many game behind him who'd be worth a hell of a lot more if he were to get a full season of games.

The only thing I don't understand about this is why we still have so many RBs at the club. Kelly especially seems like hell struggle for games.

Edited by Maldini

The only thing I don't understand about this is why we still have so many RBs at the club. Kelly especially seems like hell struggle for games.

The Coady move to Huddersfield seemed to happen quite quickly, perhaps it will be like that for a few other fringe players now.

<br />The Coady move to Huddersfield seemed to happen quite quickly, perhaps it will be like that for a few other fringe players now.<br />

Yeah I can understand us prioritising the ins early in the window. Watching the game the other night I was thinking that we had 4/5 lads on the bench who were probably earning more than Gerrard, Sturridge and Sterling combined who have little chance of making any meaningful contribution to this season.

Yeah I can understand us prioritising the ins early in the window. Watching the game the other night I was thinking that we had 4/5 lads on the bench who were probably earning more than Gerrard, Sturridge and Sterling combined who have little chance of making any meaningful contribution to this season.

You mean their combined earnings were more than the three mentioned ?

You mean their combined earnings were more than the three mentioned ?

Yeah, actually the bench V United wasn't as strong as I thought it was but the likes of Toure, Lucas, Kelly, Borini, Coates don't have much to contribute to this squad but are all on a decent wedge. I think the last few weeks of the window will focus on getting some of that deadwood off the books.

You'd think Kelly would be off, I thought he was great when he first came into the team, but long term injuries are never good.

Glen has a year left and I wonder if we'd let him go with a £4m or so offer came in given his big wages too.

Then that leaves Manquillo and Flanno as our long term right backs you'd think.

It's all coming together.