By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Here's that new takeover thread

David Hodgson

Why are they talking to Gillett as well?

Thought Broughton was in charge of the sale and the owners had stepped back. If potential buyers still have to negotiate with the owners individually, then the what is the point of Broughton?

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are they talking to Gillett as well?

Thought Broughton was in charge of the sale and the owners had stepped back. If potential buyers still have to negotiate with the owners individually, then the what is the point of Broughton?

This is where I swing from optimism to pessimism.

Most likely the article is complete bull. Planted, as Davvo says, either by one of the owners, or even by this Syrian guy.

And then given how many lies there have been from everyone running the club over the last 3 years, and given how many times we've been let down, it's really hart to trust anyone and believe that we really are being sold in the kind of auction that Broughton talked about. This is where the 'agreed to accept any reasonable offer' and 'it's a board decision' (the board being Broughton 2 greedy lying owners and their lacky's) leave me worried that it's all a facade.

If we don't have new owners within 2-3 weeks, I don't really see it happening any time this year.

I'm still not sure how Rhone can be seen as our saviours. Given the past relationship between Rhone and Hicks I don't think it would change anything; it would just cloud the issue of true ownership and let the feckers do whatever they want.

If what Broughton said was true i.e. First round of bids ended last week Friday, then we're in the next phase i.e. eliminating those that do not meet the board's criteria and now using a weighted scoring model of sorts (perhaps) to come out with the winner.

Yes?

I choose to believe :(

If what Broughton said was true i.e. First round of bids ended last week Friday, then we're in the next phase i.e. eliminating those that do not meet the board's criteria and now using a weighted scoring model of sorts (perhaps) to come out with the winner.

Yes?

I choose to believe :(

First round of bids was by mid July, not end of July. We should already be well into the next phase, and as I've mentioned before, anybody serious about buying us (and with good intentions rather than just making some quick-ish money) would want it sorted before the transfer window shuts, and if G+H really are selling then they will see the need for this too

One of my mates works for BarCap. I asked him about it all and he basically said that there would be no news until they wanted there to be news. When the big takeovers & mergers hot up all people there know apart from the negotiators is that it gets more difficult to book a meeting room. It's a very tight ship.

Incidentally, he says the rooms are all booked up at the moment.

Why would they go? I still don't see their motivation.

Are they still getting paid? Yes. Are they keeping up their payments on the loans? Yes.

Is the football team suffering? Yes. Do they care? No.

Actually they're not really getting paid - not yet anyway (in that they rob money from us in terms of expenses, but don't receive a salary and haven't get claimed the 10% interest we owe the holding companies)

VCM will post more on this presently, but there are movements - and the upshot is that EVERYONE has to get on Fat Scouser's various RBS campaigns, and sign the RBS petition. It's pitiful that less than 1,000 have been arsed so far.

As will be all over the news tomorrow, a takeover headed by Kenneth Huang (though not solely) and backed by a sovereign fund that will dwarf anything available to any other club in world football is in negotiations with RBS to buy Liverpool F.C. It sounds laughable in light of the three years we've been through, but LFC could soon be the richest club on the planet - if RBS does the right thing.

The brief "highlights" are that Huang himself flew out to speak to Torres and convince him that good times are around the corner. His group have been dealing directly with RBS - so, potentially, there might be the added joy of zero profit for G&H. And he has thus far bodyswerved the Liverpool board, meaning Broughton and Purlsow have less opportunity to derail the bid.

Enter George Gillett. His inoccuous request for a Little Guy's Bike at the training camp was an act of Machievellian brilliance. He wanted the world (i.e RBS) to know that he was back in Europe on LFC business, and he knew his jokey inquiry would be seized upon and written up immediately. He had wind of the Huang takeover and knew he had to stall RBS at all costs. With Liverpool playing Al Hilal, his ruse was to intimate that he was fielding a rival, far richer bid from the Saudis - which RBS would be legally obliged to examine, thus slowing down the Huang deal (which was set to complete today, leaving a full month of the transfer window left for business). We should, for once, praise the heavens for the deluge that halted the Al Hilal game from going ahead. If Gillett had had his way, he'd have been sandwiched between a sheikh and a prince and the images would have gone around the world and straight onto Steven Hester's desk. Even without the circumstancial evidence, Gillett continued to imply he was talking to the Arabs. And he was - just that it was a different and far less impressive Middle eastern country beginning with S....Syria. And the 'bid' was not worth the paper it was written on.

I'll post more later but let's just say for now that RBS are still tempted to believe that Gillett is about to reveal a rival bid that the bank is duty bound to examine. Gillett hopes that that will frustrate Huang into making himself and Hicks an offer they can't refuse - knowing that he wants this takeover to happen quickly, so the club can take advantage of the transfer market. What he also knows - and here's where we come into it, comrades - is that as of 30th July, RBS has had the constituational right to call in the loan and sell it on to whichever bid makes the most sense for the bank and Liverpool F.C. If ever there was a time to re-visit Fat Scouser's magnificent campaigning letter-writing pages, it's now. And it's also time for SOS to add the might of our 7,000+ members to the campaign. Get writing to RBS. FLOOD Hester's desk with letters and emails reminding him of his duty to do this deal for Liverpool. Every last one of us has a role to play here so shoulders together for one last heave...NOW!!

From a guy on RAWK. f*** me.

copy and paste it, i'm not paying.

that post that kidoriginal quoted has knocked me sick.

Liverpool’s ownership battle picked up pace yesterday when it emerged that a Chinese tycoon was in negotiation with Royal Bank of Scotland to take control of the club.

Kenny Huang, who is partnered by one of the biggest sovereign wealth funds in the Far East, is determined to wrest control from Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr before the transfer window closes. Last month, Huang made approaches to a number of key figures at Anfield to emphasise the seriousness of the bid in an attempt to forestall a summer exodus of players.

Fernando Torres, who reports back to training today, will be asked to delay any decision on his future until the outcome of the takeover bid is known.

Liverpool have been up for sale since April, when the American owners appointed Martin Broughton, the British Airways chairman, to oversee any deal. However, last week, no viable bidder had come forward and Broughton has not moved the process on.

Hicks and Gillett took over three years ago in a leveraged buyout and owe RBS about £237 million. Hicks has consistently quoted an asking price of £800 million club but business analysts consider this unrealistic, with £325 million a more reasonable figure.

The approach by Huang guarantees RBS the repayment of the vast majority of the loan because the bid guarantees to clear Liverpool’s debt.

Huang, who was first linked with a buyout at Liverpool two years ago, has an impressive track record as head of QSL Sports Limited, a Hong Kong-based investment company. He was instrumental in taking Yao Ming, the basketball superstar, to the Houston Rockets in the NBA.

Sources close to Huang said that he was eager to push the Liverpool deal through to make use of the transfer window. Roy Hodgson, the manager, would be given funds to add to a squad that dropped out of the top four and the Champions League places last season.

As well as generating revenue, Huang plans to build a new stadium as quickly as possible. The Americans made a similar promise in February 2007, pledging that ground would be broken on the Stanley Park site within 60 days, but work has still not started.

Just out of interest, which Times journalist wrote the piece?

edit: and really very interesting if they're going straight to RBS, as (and I maybe completely misreading things) it kind of makes it sound like the sales process isn't quite as Broughton has described it

Edited by Zoob

Just out of interest, which Times journalist wrote the piece?

edit: and really very interesting if they're going straight to RBS, as (and I maybe completely misreading things) it kind of makes it sound like the sales process isn't quite as Broughton has described it

Evans and Barrett

This is all too much to take in.

There have been rumours of Chinese interest in the club for a long time now.

sovereign business fund, don't know what that implies tbh but its reasonably self explanatory. I don't get the stuff about a little guys bike being ordered...was that reported anywhere. I know Gillet was due to be at the hilal game, but 'little guys bike' ?

what is gillet playing at ?

Evans and Barrett

Thanks.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if there's truth in both the Times and Mail articles, that the whole official sales process is entirely another attempt to make an unrealistic profit, and that Gillett and Hicks are still trying to do what ever is necessary to either get that profit, or hold onto the club. This bull about Syrian mates of Gillett, or Hicks's mates at Rhone renewing their interest... absolute scum.