Us and Them. How do we catch up next year?

New York Red

I drive myself absolutely mental thinking about what we need to do, who we need to buy, to win the title. Well after this weeks performances, I'd have to say "not much".

It's just a matter of turning those draws into wins as we all know. To absolutely crush some of these lower positioned teams every few weeks. It may well be that they have a better squad than us, but it wouldn't take much for us to get there. So how do we stack up versus them?

Goalkeepers: Reina, Cavallieri VS Van der Saar, Kusczak, Foster

Looks pretty even to me, though they may be a bit deeper in the case of injury.

Left Backs: Auerilio, Insua, Dossena VS Evra, Fabio, O'Shea

I'd take us here. Auerilio needs to stay fit, Dossena won't cut it, Insua and Fabio are a wash. Arbeloa can cover.

Centre Backs: Carra, Sami, Skrtel, Agger VS Rio, Vidic, Evans, Brown

They may have a better first choice pairing, but we are deeper. A wash.

Right Backs: Arbeloa, Degen, Darby VS Neville, Rafael

With the fact that O'Shea can play here, they clearly have a lead here despite Carra deputizing.

Left Midfield: Riera, Babel VS Giggs, Nani

Either one of ours would be a good backup. I like Babel's versatility. But this would be where we need to spend big.

Centre Midfield: Gerrard, Xabi, Marscher, Lucas VS Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves, Fletcher, Anderson

We take them here, no question. I would not be averse to switching Lucas for a very versatile player.

Right Midfield: Kuyt, Benayoun VS Ronaldo, Park

Clearly they are better. A star RM and keeping the pair of ours would give us great quality AND depth.

Striker: Torres, Ngog VS Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez

We have the best striker in the world. They may have #'s 3, 5 and 7 (or thereabouts). Someone who can replace Nando in a 4-2-3-1 and who can play alongside him in a 4-1-3-2 is ideal.

Frankly I think if we sign Agger, we are in good shape in the back. Even though we need a right back, I think we could manage with the players we have. I wouldn't hesitate to get rid of Dossena though. I thought Sami might be finished, but after today, can you think of a better fourth choice CB?

Three players in the midfield right across the field would be preferable. Could we get all that in one summer? Doubtful. But players like Robben, Sneijder, Ribery, Diego, Barry, Young, Agbonlahor, Kuba, Srna, Zhirkov, Van der Vaart are what we need to get in. One definitely, two preferably, three hopefully.

Then up front, who would it be? Villa? Aguero? Santa Cruz? Luis Fabiano? Here's the thing though. Who would tip things would be us being complete ruthless b*stards and signing Tevez.

Now I'm going to take a nap...