By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Keane - is he off?

Keita

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange transfer strategy whereby if you go for 2 players one of them will only work if the other one is signed.

Which is why its bulls*** IMO

Agree with that.

I also don't see the point in buying a 20m player and then leaving him on the bench half the time. For whatever reason he hasn't gotten Rafa's support. Keane might not be the best in the world, but he was pretty decent at Spurs and he's playing nowhere near that level.

Rafa isn't getting the most out of him and that's poor management in my opinion.

I've got to admit that I was taken aback by the amount quoted for Keane and even more taken aback by the fact that we agreed to it. I still have to pinch myself that it actually happened.

But I agree, Rafa must surely have known how much we were going to pay for him.

I've always liked Keane but I didn't think we'd ever go there because of the fee Spurs would want

I'd love to know what exactly Barry would have offered that Alonso can't resulting in Keane getting the boot. Just doesn't add up for me.

The majority of the time Xabis game has been linking defence with midfield.

Barry can do the same, but he is also more dynamic getting forward, in the areas Lucas does, linking midfield with attack. This is probably the area we have been lacking most from midfield, this term. Fabulous performances from Xabi, but lacking as a team in the final third.

Barry can play in either of Xabi or Maschas positions and link up to the attack better than either of them, as well as at left back or left mid. My opinion is he would be a massive addition to our squad and I still hope we get him (and keep Xabi).

The majority of the time Xabis game has been linking defence with midfield.

Barry can do the same, but he is also more dynamic getting forward, in the areas Lucas does, linking midfield with attack. This is probably the area we have been lacking most from midfield, this term. Fabulous performances from Xabi, but lacking as a team in the final third.

Barry can play in either of Xabi or Maschas positions and link up to the attack better than either of them, as well as at left back or left mid. My opinion is he would be a massive addition to our squad and I still hope we get him (and keep Xabi).

I agree. Also, his free kicks are very consistent with his left foot, not to be underestimated IMO.

If we would have signed Barry for 18 Million and consequently missed out in Keane, where would we be now (assuming a budget that wouldn't accommodate both at selling-club value)?

If Barry didn't shine, would we have written him off after half a season? Would the option of shifting a midfielder after half a season seem absurd?

Would there have been uproar that we didn't sign Keane?

Barry was as big a loss as Keane is a pain in the hole.

I like the idea of a Barry/Alonso partnership against the weaker teams though and this was not the plan.

ME TOO - I really think with Barry here we'd have turned those draws into wins - free kicks, better attacking ball retention - balanced side capable of dynamically changing formation - still hope we get Barry ( less likely now with Villa doing so well).

Dossena was a full back at his previous club and has not played left back in donkeys years..

Was he a reserve at his previous club? Or, don't you understand that a left back is a full back?

Please answer 'yes' to the second question, I'd love to spend a few hours taking the piss out of you.

A few sources say he is off, even Bascombe, shame for the lad, he has done nothing wrong but i guess he is victim of the Parry V Benitez rant.

ROBBIE KEANE IS AXED

Liverpool ace dropped as Harry Redknapp waits to move

By CHRIS BASCOMBE, 31/01/2009

ROBBIE KEANE has suffered yet another humiliating snub by Rafa Benitez after being axed from today’s squad to face Chelsea.

And that could drive the £20m striker into Tottenham’s arms. Harry Redknapp will make a last ditch bid to re-sign Keane ahead of tomorrow’s transfer deadline after being given every encouragement by Benitez a deal can be done.

But the move by Redknapp will send the Liverpool boss on another collision course with his board.

The Anfield hierarchy are not convinced it is the right call and would only sell if the full £20m can be recouped. Even then, Keane would have final say.

Keane has been wrestling with a dilemma since hearing of Spurs’ interest — first exclusively reported in the Sport of the World on December 6.

He’s in despair at the way his Anfield career has gone — but won’t ask to leave.

I always though a plier could not rejoin a club with 12 months?

anyone care to confirm that the above is more lazy journalism from Bascombe?

Haha! Maybe he'd get longer if generally he wasnt so s****? I love how its all nasty Rafa now and Keane is perfect, its brilliant.

never said it was Rafa`s fault, or even Keane has been perfect. He has been woeful at times, but I think he has been harshly treated. It cant be doing to much good for his mind all this.

id say in terms of ball retention lucas is probably better.. gerrard did not have to leave his home country and play in the most physical league in the world with limited opportunities of first team football as there was little competition at the time..

You're out of your tree

From Irish Sindo.

Keane on his way to Spurs

By Dion Fanning

Sunday February 01 2009

Robbie Keane has been left out of Liverpool's squad for today's crucial Premier League game with Chelsea, with reports last night suggesting that the Irish captain has already re-signed for Spurs.

While those reports were denied by Tottenham last night, Rafael Benitez's decision to omit the player from the 18 to face Chelsea suggests Keane has no future at the club.

Keane is understood to have been desperate to prove himself at Anfield, but having been excluded from the squad for consecutive Sundays, he has now accepted that he will not satisfy Benitez.

Benitez had refused to confirm that Keane would be in the squad during his regular press conference on Friday, and when asked how a player he signed for £20m could not make the squad, he replied: "The club paid £20m for him."

Tottenham are in need of a striker after Jermain Defoe's foot injury looks like ruling him out for the rest of the season.

As Liverpool have not paid all the transfer fee from last summer's signing, Spurs will believe they can get Keane back for a reduced fee. Liverpool may yet be tempted by a cash-plus-player offer.

Harry Redknapp had earlier hit back at Benitez following Tottenham's defeat at Bolton. The Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry had written to Tottenham to complain about Redknapp's comments earlier this week about Keane, but Spurs' manager did not back down

"The comments I made, there was absolutely nothing wrong with them. I don't know why the manager of Liverpool gets upset about everything -- it is strange.

"I said Robbie is a terrific player and a good lad but he belongs to Liverpool so it's not a possibility. It's crazy. I never mentioned I was interested in him. It was never a goer really."

It now appears that it is a goer and that Liverpool head into another key game in turmoil off the field. But that may no longer be Robbie Keane's problem.

- Dion Fanning