By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

maldini set to play another season

Guest Anders Honoré

Guest Anders Honoré
sauce

Milan captain Paolo Maldini looks set to postpone his retirement by another year.

The 39-year-old defender indicated after Milan won the Club World Cup in December that he intended to hang up his boots at the end of this season

However, the former Italy international has revealed his desire to play a 25th year for the Rossoneri.

"I am moving towards the decision to carry on playing and in the week I will go to the offices for discussions," he said.

New contract

"There's nothing official because there doesn't need to be while I am still under contract, but I am in agreement with vice president Adriano Galliani.

"I'm thinking about carrying on as my physical condition has improved and the club have asked me, more or less explicitly, to play for another season."

Milan are two points off a Champions League place with just one Serie A game to go but Maldini, a five-time winner of the competition, insists he wants to play for another season even if Milan miss out on qualification.

"Failing to get fourth place would be a big disappointment, but it's not a problem," he added.

I like the fact that Francesco Coco, who as a youngster was singled out as the man to eventually take over from Maldini at Milan, has now also become a senior player himself.

By some way the greatest left-back ever and by all accounts an absolute gentleman. Are Milan going to retire his number when he retires like they did with Baresi?

he plays centre half now.

never been a fan of such statements btw...like, how do you know?

he is one of the greats, for sure.