By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

"That" late goal on Weds night got me thinking....

dorgie

The feeling one got at about 9.40pm last Weds night, while not one we experience too often, it did bring back painful memories of really, really sore late goals over the years.

here are the 5 that spring to mind immediately, but I'm sure i've forgetten a few that could be in there:

1. Michael Thomas Arsenal 1989 (undisputably no 1)

2. J.A.R. og Chelsea 2008

3. John O' Shea ManU @ Anfield 2007 (ouch !)

4. Lua Lua Portsmouth in '04 at Anfield (for some reason that one always stays with me, maybe it was Dudek's part in gifting it to him)

5. Berbatov Dortmund in CL 2005 (coasting 3-0 and then another Dudek howler in inj time gave Dortmund hope and was a sickener for us, but we won through comfortably in the end)

McCall's late goal for Everton in '89 cup final, Jordi Cruyff's for Alaves and Brum's late goal in League Cup final were painful too but at least we went on to win those in ET or on pens so the pain was short-lived.

My two worst moments supporting Liverpool

Cantona in the FA cup final 1995

When United scored TWO late goals to knock us out the cup at Old Trafford after Owen had scored early

Riise is probably 3rd

same for me

United's two late goals to beat Bayern left me feeling pretty bad too

Strangely enough, reading this thread has made me feel a bit better about what happened on Tuesday (or perhaps less terrible is a better way to put it).

For me, nothing has ever come close to Thomas in '89, and a far distant 2nd would be the mancs scoring 2 last minute goals against us in the cup in 99.

Those 2 events were both so 'final'. What Riise did the other night will only be put into full context once the 2nd leg is out of the way and we can see how costly that goal really was. I still have strange sense of optimism about going to Chelsea and winning the tie, but perhaps I'm just setting myself up for an even greater fall...

I was in planet football in Tenerife surrounded by mancs, fecking nightmare

You think that is bad. When we lost to Wimbledon in the F.A cup final in 1988 i was on exercise in the middle of nowhere. In a trench with a radio and some cockney Wimbledon fan. :angry:

When we lost to Arsenal at home 2-0 to lose the title run in i was on guard duty with a f***ing Arsenal fan. It was a conspiracy i tell ya. :angry:

The Michael Thomas goal was the biggest kick in the balls any Liverpool supporter could get. An entire league campaign wiped out with one kick of the ball. Nothing comes close to it.

A distant, distant second would be Cantona in the cup final.

Strangely enough, reading this thread has made me feel a bit better about what happened on Tuesday (or perhaps less terrible is a better way to put it).

For me, nothing has ever come close to Thomas in '89, and a far distant 2nd would be the mancs scoring 2 last minute goals against us in the cup in 99.

Those 2 events were both so 'final'. What Riise did the other night will only be put into full context once the 2nd leg is out of the way and we can see how costly that goal really was. I still have strange sense of optimism about going to Chelsea and winning the tie, but perhaps I'm just setting myself up for an even greater fall...

Nothing comes close to Michael Thomas in '89. So soon after the trauma of Hillsborough and the emotion of the Mersey Cup Final.

I think that is when the term 'gobsmacked' came about.

Edited by mooks