By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Donating blood

Gethin

I’m sat in the donation place, sipping on a chocolate milk and devouring a sausage roll and a party pie. 
I’ve got into the groove of donating on the Saturday in the weeks that my missus has chemo. It feels like I’m doing my bit and it feels good.

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pint 45 just dropped.

was told today by the nurse that my blood is marked ‘Neo’ which means it’s used for new born babies cos it’s free of some antibodies or other. Never knew that - thought it was all O-neg blood

BEAT THAT!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I had my third attempt to give blood a few weeks back. This time I got as far as attending the pop-up clinic. They did the blood sample check, I filled in all of the forms, got the first assistant to confirm everything was good to go, the senior clinician then did the final check and got to the "Oh, hello, what this about a seizure a couple of years back?" Apparently that means you can't do it. They like to have three full years of non-recurrence before you can give blood. So I'm back into non-doning until May 2025 at least.  God knows I've tried.

Edited by charlie clown

1 hour ago, charlie clown said:

I had my third attempt to give blood a few weeks back. This time I got as far as attending the pop-up clinic. They did the blood sample check, I filled in all of the forms, got the first assistant to confirm everything was good to go, the senior clinician then did the final check and got to the "Oh, hello, what this about a seizure a couple of years back?" Apparently that means you can't do it. They like to have three full years of non-recurrence before you can give blood. So I'm back into non-doning until May 2025 at least.  God knows I've tried.

Aggggh that must be so frustrating, sorry to hear that 😞

1 hour ago, charlie clown said:

did you at least get a chocolate biscuit?

On 08/04/2024 at 12:17, Cobs said:

Pint 45 just dropped.

was told today by the nurse that my blood is marked ‘Neo’ which means it’s used for new born babies cos it’s free of some antibodies or other. Never knew that - thought it was all O-neg blood

BEAT THAT!

how do you find out what your blood type is?

where is it written down? 

3 minutes ago, Molby said:

how do you find out what your blood type is?

where is it written down? 

i gave blood one time and they sent me a little card thing with my donor nnumber and blood group on it

It's probably on your medical records

this Neo thing is on top of the form with your donation details you complete each time you give blood. I'd never noticed it and no-one said anything about it to me.

5 minutes ago, Cobs said:

this Neo thing is on top of the form with your donation details you complete each time you give blood. I'd never noticed it and no-one said anything about it to me.

Yeah the missus is on pint 60-odd and she was only told she had that type very recently too.

1 hour ago, Cobs said:

i gave blood one time and they sent me a little card thing with my donor nnumber and blood group on it

It's probably on your medical records

its not on my NHS app

f***ing bulls***

also, is it better to have a very rare blood type in order to be more interesting, or a very ordinary and common one in case you need blood?

also, can you ‘give blood to yourself?’ 

ie give blood and store it at home in case you have an accident

50 minutes ago, Molby said:

its not on my NHS app

f***ing bulls***

also, is it better to have a very rare blood type in order to be more interesting, or a very ordinary and common one in case you need blood?

also, can you ‘give blood to yourself?’ 

ie give blood and store it at home in case you have an accident

🤣 asking for a friend?

re blood types  O+ is the common one but also has the greatest need. So one of them.

Oneg is rare 7% of the population but can be given to anyone

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cobs said:

🤣 asking for a friend?

re blood types  O+ is the common one but also has the greatest need. So one of them.

Oneg is rare 7% of the population but can be given to anyone

what if you want to change your blood type?

surely these days that should be allowed 

3 minutes ago, Molby said:

Sounds a bit dodgy - your own body might not be a fan

13 hours ago, Molby said:

I've looked into this. Modern science has failed. Adding the wrong blood type will generally make your blood and imune system go to war with itself.

• 2 weeks later...

went and gave double red today - they take twice the number of red cells but return the plasma. Weird AF. Halfway through I got really f***ing hot & thirsty and nearly threw. whitey. They gathered all was not ok, so inverted the bed - feet above head, then the plasma started being returned & normality came back. 

Drank 2 fruit juices & a water after plus a pack of pretzels, a brownie & some Oreos. 

Don't really see the point in double red though since my next available date is August so 2x as long - unless it's simply a case of they have it now so there's no risk of me no-showing for the next pint.

I'm O+

So I think that counts as pints 5 for me today

they take twice the number of red blood cells

Double red cell donation is similar to a whole blood donation, except a special machine is used to allow you to safely donate two units of red blood cells during one donation while returning your plasma and platelets to you.

OOH - they also call it Power Red. 

I'm having that

POWER RED