By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Radical rethink time...

Murphman

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can’t see beyond Allison, Virgil, souness, Gerrard, Kenny as a spine. Crosses all generations that spine. I think Hansen, Barnes and Trent fit any generation too. Can see the debates for left back and wide right, as well as striker however. We’ve been spoilt that’s for sure.

Based on having seen them in comparison to who else was around at the time:

GK - Allison - Clemence and Brucie were great in their own different ways but I think Allison has the shot stopping and positional sense of Clemence combined with Brucie's command of the box. I think the challenge for keepers became much greater once the back pass rule was abolished as you not only had to be good with your hands but had to have ball playing skills as well.

RB - TAA - tough one this given that we have had some great right backs in the last 50 years and that defensively Trent has still a lot to learn but for what he adds to the team and given the 2 centre backs, he gets my vote

CB - Hansen - had everything you needed as a CB and read the game like no other until...

CB - VVD - better than Hansen!

LB - Robertson - another tough one as Kennedy was probably better defensively but like RB, I think the team would be better with the more attack orientated Robertson. On this basis a case could also be made for JAR but I always remember him as being prone to clangers that Robertson does not seem to make.

RM/CM - Gerrard - with him and TAA on the right flank you could not stop quality crosses into the area

CM - Souness - Ball winning ability coupled with technical ability and a fierce long range shooting capability makes him a must. 

LM/No. 10 - Kenny - Had to get him in as in my view he is still our greatest ever player. 

RF - Keegan - Tough choice between him and Salah but I just think his all round game was better

CF - Rush - Did the same job Firmino does now but also had pace and deadly in front of goal. 

LF - Suarez - Another tough one given that I could have put Barnes in instead but I just don't think Barnes was as unpredictably brilliant as Luis and given the width provided by both full backs, I went for the striker who was more effective in crowded penalty areas. 

I should point out that the above is based upon the fact that I have watched all of these players in their prime (with the possible exception of TAA who I think will get better) and have based it on that.

Fair play to Raoul but I don't see how you can do this and leave John Barnes out of the team. 

I'd pick Barnes every time, but he put the effort into explaining his selection unlike the rest of us lazy arses

Can’t have Keegan in the picture. He relied on Tosh a lot.

Keegan was fantastic with or without Toshack. He carried England on his own for about 3 years

Seems to be absolute unanimity over TAA but he needs a couple of yet before he supplants Chris Lawler.

Phil Neal was better than Lawler.

TAA's a wing back anyway and in my opinion his delivery alone makes him an automatic choice for No.2. Of the top of my head I can only think of Roberto Carlos who might be his match at getting down the line relentlessly, consistently delivering balls with that pace that accuracy. 

Can’t have Keegan in the picture. He relied on Tosh a lot.

That partnership as fruitful and effective as it was doesn't define what Keegan was about. I think Toshack more or less finished playing for Liverpool in 1975, Keegan had 10 more years after that. Anybody who wants to argue Kev deserves a shirt won't get one from me.

3-1-4-2

Clemence

Hansen VVD Lawro

Souness

Gerrard Dalglish McDermott Barnes

Fowler Suarez

Three at the back is just wrong out of the gate though, no great Liverpool team has ever played that. It just isn't right. Nice attempt at squeezing Terry Mac in there though, I'd like to but can't. And good as Robbie was he was never Rushie.

So, how would the best team look if it was being picked to play in today's Premier League?

From Cobs team, I'd probably change the keeper to Alisson, swap Mascherano for Souness, Alonso for McDermott and Mane for Fowler.

As for the best right back, I'd go for Phil Neal, but Rob Jones was potentially due to be the best ever before having his career cut short by injury.

Edited by Nebraska Red

Three at the back is just wrong out of the gate though, no great Liverpool team has ever played that. It just isn't right. Nice attempt at squeezing Terry Mac in there though, I'd like to but can't. And good as Robbie was he was never Rushie.

It’d snot every other team named here.

And if Fowler played in a decent Liverpool team rather than carrying an average one as a kid he’d have smashed every scoring record going.

From Cobs team, I'd probably change the keeper to Alisson, swap Mascherano for Souness, Alonso for McDermott and Mane for Fowler.

Well, you’d be wrong on every count then