Sign in to follow this  
RP

Hillsborough

I always seem to forget how young so many of them were. Jesus they were only kids half of them.

You'll never walk alone. I'll never meet you but your parents and families have done you so proud for 25 years.

Your day is coming.

JFT96

Roberto and Brendan were brilliant today.

First one I've been to in about 17 years. Felt the mood today was cautiously triumphal - actually I can't get the words right to describe it, to be honest.

Some poignant moments but more optimism and thanks being handed out than I had expected, I think.

YNWA at the end got me.

Roberto and Brendan were brilliant today.

First one I've been to in about 17 years. Felt the mood today was cautiously triumphal - actually I can't get the words right to describe it, to be honest.

Some poignant moments but more optimism and thanks being handed out than I had expected, I think.

YNWA at the end got me.

Is it that there's a sense that two separate but intertwined long and painful journeys may be coming to an end?

I thought Martinez was brilliant, found it really really touching, because it was obviously heartfelt.

Brendan, likewise ... he gets us.

Hope today wasn't too tough on you mate.

Cheers - was nice to have my lad there with me. First one he's been to (since he was a babe in arms anyway). Really enjoyed talking about it all the way home (4 hours in the car).

Driving back from Dublin this evening two of the national stations had very moving pieces about the day at Hillsborough and the memorial service today. They both finished with Peter Jones closing piece from 25 years ago. Very moving

JFT96 YNWA

Have to praise Andy Burnham as well - he got it spot on, for me.,

Edited by RP

match of the day from 25 years ago. remember sitting up with my dad watching it and just crying my eyes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypE5TG2UPNk&feature=youtu.be

Can't recall watching that before. Very interesting to listen to Colin Moynihan at the end there praising the fans and what they did for fellow fans - Moynihan was Sports Minister and wasn't at the game but visited the ground that evening and would have spoken to many police by the time he gave that interview. Clearly the police hadn't yet concoted their c**k 'n bull stories to pin the blame on the fans at that point, as otherwise, Moynihan wouldn't have been praising the fans in that manner. Of course, Thatcher wouldn't have got to him by then either.

JFT96

Cheers - was nice to have my lad there with me. First one he's been to (since he was a babe in arms anyway). Really enjoyed talking about it all the way home (4 hours in the car).

I have two young boys ... 3 year old twins.

I think when you become a parent it hits you a lot harder.

I can hardly cope with even thinking about losing a child in those circumstances.

The families who've campaigned are so incredibly heroic.

I think people like Anne Williams, Trevor Hicks and Margaret Aspinall will have their stories told to the next generation of schoolchildren in the way that civil rights campaigners like Martin Luther King have.

It won't happen in this country, but when my boys are old enough when they ask what dignity and courage mean, I'll know where to point them.

I watched the RTE coverage of the 6 minutes of the match the other day - first time I'd seen it (not sure how that happened!)

At about 5 minutes in the commentator says something like "the Police have decided to open one of the gates to prevent the crush worsening at the turnstiles". Now someone must have told him that - why else would he have said it? How would he have known that a gate was being opened?

Amazing how that then became fans storming the gate, forcing it open.

It's on YouTube (I'm sure most have seen it many times)

I watched the RTE coverage of the 6 minutes of the match the other day - first time I'd seen it (not sure how that happened!)

At about 5 minutes in the commentator says something like "the Police have decided to open one of the gates to prevent the crush worsening at the turnstiles". Now someone must have told him that - why else would he have said it? How would he have known that a gate was being opened?

Amazing how that then became fans storming the gate, forcing it open.

It's on YouTube (I'm sure most have seen it many times)

It was George Hamilton commentating that day, and you're right ... that information must have been relayed to the commentary position.

Hamilton isn't prone to speculation, he's very professional ... can't imagine he'd say that without being told.

Watched the whole thing live that day on RTE

Boss lad Russell Brand has won some damages from the s*n and donated to the HJC according to his twitter.

Edited by smithdown

Driving back from Dublin this evening two of the national stations had very moving pieces about the day at Hillsborough and the memorial service today. They both finished with Peter Jones closing piece from 25 years ago. Very moving

JFT96 YNWA

Have just watched the memorial service - Brendan spoke really really well. He gets the club and all it stands for. Roberto Martinez also spoke well.

Boss lad Russell Brand has won some damages from the s*n and donated to the HJC according to his twitter.

Saw that. And Joey Barton had a go at him for doing it (sort of).

Joseph Barton ‏@Joey7Barton 1h

@rustyrockets whilst its a lovely gesture mate. The people of Liverpool wouldn't want their money. They have their lies to live with forever

Unnecessary Joey.

Just watch the espn 30for30 program. for obvious reasons it can't be discussed here yet. I'd just like to point out that it was very well done, a very tough watch and its quite remarkable that Hillsborough was a two hour program in prime time - unheard of in the past.

If you get the chance then its worth a watch - but it won't be easy.

Just watch the espn 30for30 program. for obvious reasons it can't be discussed here yet. I'd just like to point out that it was very well done, a very tough watch and its quite remarkable that Hillsborough was a two hour program in prime time - unheard of in the past.

If you get the chance then its worth a watch - but it won't be easy.

Yes, it was a really well done program. The producer and ESPN did a really good job with a very sensitive subject.

Watched the recording of the service on LFCTV last night. Just couldn't sleep after it. Especially the names and faces at the end. And their ages. I got angry. As young as 10 FFS!

Brendan spoke wonderfully. Fantastic tribute to Kenny as well. Kenny looked shattered.

Interested to know what was shouted at Andy Burnham by Roy Dickson 5 years ago that spurred him on to fight for the truth?

Margaret was brilliant!

Truth and Justice for the 96 and peace at last for their families.

The word "awe" is used to banality these days, losing what it should really mean. So, in the true sense of the word, I am in awe of the families and their dignity and fortitude.

Interested to know what was shouted at Andy Burnham by Roy Dickson 5 years ago that spurred him on to fight for the truth?

"Justice for the 96" - which set everyone off.

Edited by RP

Watched the recording of the service on LFCTV last night. Just couldn't sleep after it. Especially the names and faces at the end. And their ages. I got angry. As young as 10 FFS!

Brendan spoke wonderfully. Fantastic tribute to Kenny as well. Kenny looked shattered.

Margaret was brilliant!

Truth and Justice for the 96 and peace at last for their families.

The word "awe" is used to banality these days, losing what it should really mean. So, in the true sense of the word, I am in awe of the families and their dignity and fortitude.

The names and faces at the end got me too. So many young lives taken needlessly.

JFT96

YNWA

It was a wonderful service. Always moving, always dignified, always passionate.

JFT96

Oh, and Margaret telling Brendan and the boys to bring it home :D Go 'ed girl.

The re-run of the service on LFC.TV ... anyone know where to get a recording of the (choir) YNWA version they use at the start?