By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The cycling

surf

On 30/01/2022 at 21:47, Gethin said:

Two rainbow jerseys for GB riders at CX Worlds. Zoe Backstedt in the Women's Juniors and Tom Pidcock in senior mens. Both absolutely destroyed the field. Best race was Vos vs Brand in senior women’s - just beat the crap out of each other for an hour. Incredible racing. 

A wee update on Zoe Backstedt

She's the Junior CX world champ  (^), She's the track Madison junior world champ, she's just won the world junior Time Trial championship and is still the world junior road race champion (from last year)

4 world championships in 4 different (bike) disciplines

• 3 months later...

Just reading about the Mark Cavendish robbery court case.  Two watches taken - one valued at £400k, the other at £300k.

He's a cyclist!  Hamilton or Messi I could understand but he's a cyclist!  A great and successful one but I'd have figured a salary of a few hundred grand, maybe endorsements giving him a couple of million. How many tens of millions must he be on to blow three quarters of a million on two watches. 

(obviously they could have been lent to him for promotional purposes) 

11 hours ago, Cam said:

Just reading about the Mark Cavendish robbery court case.  Two watches taken - one valued at £400k, the other at £300k.

He's a cyclist!  Hamilton or Messi I could understand but he's a cyclist!  A great and successful one but I'd have figured a salary of a few hundred grand, maybe endorsements giving him a couple of million. How many tens of millions must he be on to blow three quarters of a million on two watches. 

Top riders will have salaries of several million a year plus sponsorship and endorsements 

Froome’s nickname was FroomeDog, short for Froome Dog Millionaire, cos he signed a million quid contract with Sky way before he’d won a Grand Tour

11 hours ago, Cam said:

watch sponsorship?

https://timeandtidewatches.com/mark-cavendish-richard-mille/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gethin said:

Top riders will have salaries of several million a year plus sponsorship and endorsements 

Froome’s nickname was FroomeDog, short for Froome Dog Millionaire, cos he signed a million quid contract with Sky way before he’d won a Grand Tour

Jesus! I'm in the wrong job. Fair play to the lad. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cam said:

Jesus! I'm in the wrong job. Fair play to the lad. 

Reckon Grand Tour winners will be in the £4-8m a year range on just salaries. Don't forget that whilst it's still a relatively niche sport here, it's huge on the continent. Also it's rife with Sportswashing (Astana-Kazakhstan, UAE, Israel, Bahrain) and Greenwashing (INEOS & think there's another one coming in this season) money.

Like many 2nd tier sports, it's probably living beyond its sustainable means at the moment but that's what the top riders will be earning. Cav isn't in the top tier but he won't have been too far off that range at the height of his career

Great points about the size of the sport on the continent and (sadly) sports-washing. But £8m salaries has properly floored me. That's F1 stuff! 

No wonder whenever the offal has a shot of Salah in the gym he's always on a bike. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gethin said:

Probably coming to the end of his initial Jumbo Visma contract. Will be due a huge payday at renewal

Maybe right on that??

Would be on huge bonuses for winning Le Tour no doubt tho.

The Grand Tours this year will be mental, so many top riders now that will fancy their chances and tactics of where and what to race can be key.

• 2 weeks later...

so after spending 2 years walking every day, doing 10 - 13 miles twice a week, i bought a bike in November, managed to do over 600 miles on it so far, doing 20 - 25 miles on my days off work. Stupidly entered the BHF London to Brighton lottery and won a place, anyone done it, any tips apart from keep doing the miles each week 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, oakie bob said:

any tips apart from keep doing the miles each week

So first of all nice one for getting started.

BHF L2B is about 55 miles isn't it? Rolling hills with just Ditchling Beacon as the only climb? Never done the event but ridden the route loads when I lived up that way.

If you've already got a base of 20-25 mile rides with 6 months to go you'll be fine. I found that once I was OK with 30 miles then your legs are pretty much there, the secret to longer rides is mostly just keeping yourself fed and watered properly.

Heard that it gets congested on some bits of the course - especially the climbs - but you'll get a decent speed boost from riding in bunches for the rest of the time.

Get yourself a decent pair of bib shorts too - your hoop comfort is paramount 🙂

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gethin said:

So first of all nice one for getting started.

BHF L2B is about 55 miles isn't it? Rolling hills with just Ditchling Beacon as the only climb? Never done the event but ridden the route loads when I lived up that way.

If you've already got a base of 20-25 mile rides with 6 months to go you'll be fine. I found that once I was OK with 30 miles then your legs are pretty much there, the secret to longer rides is mostly just keeping yourself fed and watered properly.

Heard that it gets congested on some bits of the course - especially the climbs - but you'll get a decent speed boost from riding in bunches for the rest of the time.

Get yourself a decent pair of bib shorts too - your hoop comfort is paramount 🙂

Ditchling isnt worrying me, if i cant do it, will push the bike up lol. got good gel seat so, will just keep pushing the miles then lol, it is about 55 miles, so hell of reward when i finish it 

• Like 1

Congrats, it's a fun event. It's pretty flat to Ditchling and a load of people seem to walk up it (getting in the way of the riders). Tap out the hill and it's literally a roll down to the seafront

There's a couple of lumps as you head out of London but from the M25 on  there's nothing to worry about (there's some inclines that can drag a bit and some hills that are short. What you don't really have are steep hills that drag (see the profile in the link below) - so save your legs for Ditchling. Your legs will be fine.

Getting home is as big a PITA as a chafe (chamois cream can also help)

https://www.strava.com/routes/2658205

(edit - lose the gel seat - if it's not 100% fitted and in place/not causing any creases etc, it'll end up doing you more harm than enough. So start work on hardening up your undercarriage as part of your training by phasing it out)

Edited by Tosh
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Congrats, it's a fun event. It's pretty flat to Ditchling and a load of people seem to walk up it (getting in the way of the riders). Tap out the hill and it's literally a roll down to the seafront

There's a couple of lumps as you head out of London but from the M25 on  there's nothing to worry about (there's some inclines that can drag a bit and some hills that are short. What you don't really have are steep hills that drag (see the profile in the link below) - so save your legs for Ditchling. Your legs will be fine.

Getting home is as big a PITA as a chafe (chamois cream can also help)

https://www.strava.com/routes/2658205

feeling a lot better now, getting home is fine as i will be driving !!!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oakie bob said:

thats the wife problem, she can park in the NCP and come and get me, now how a rip off it is as we go there a lot lol 

I'm not sure you've appreciated how chaotic Brighton's gonna be after the event.

Bikes are banned on the trains, so it'll be carnage trying to get picked up as loads will be doing what you're trying to do.

10 minutes ago, Tosh said:

(edit - lose the gel seat - if it's not 100% fitted and in place/not causing any creases etc, it'll end up doing you more harm than enough. So start work on hardening up your undercarriage as part of your training by phasing it out)

Also this. Decent saddle and padded shorts are your friends here

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gethin said:

I'm not sure you've appreciated how chaotic Brighton's gonna be after the event.

Bikes are banned on the trains, so it'll be carnage trying to get picked up as loads will be doing what you're trying to do.

Also this. Decent saddle and padded shorts are your friends here

sound, will work it out, thanks 

Or have her pick you up in (west part of) Hove or out somewhere like Rottingdean or Saltdean - it’s a couple of extra (completely flat) miles for you but will save the carnage in town

If you go east, stay on the undercliff path at the Marina 

• Like 1