By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The cycling

surf

It's the 99th tour and it starts today with the prologue in Liege.

Tour2012%20route.jpg

198 cyclists

20 etappes

3497 kilometers

Evans and Wiggings favourites for the yellow jersey

Cavendish favourite for green, though he might quit half way to focus on the olympics.

Quite a few fighting for the mountain jersey.

Hopefully no doping shocks this year.

Excellent, cant beat the Tour. Wiggins to lose it in the mountains.

Can't see it.

Think he's the equal of Evans now in the hills, don't think either are aggressive enough or have the real uphill acceleration to gain big time on the other there, think it all comes down to the time trials where I'd give Wiggins the edge.

Also some really good climbers alongside Wiggins in Team Sky.

Froome has got a chance of a really good finish himself.

It's not too mountainous this year, more time trial kilometres than usual, no Contador and no Schleck, this is Wiggins' best chance. The best he'll probably ever get.

Don't think Cav will get Green Jersey - it looks like he's using this as training for the Olympic Road Race.

[quote name='Cunny' timestamp='1341047564' post='3218531'

Don't think Cav will get Green Jersey - it looks like he's using this as training for the Olympic Road Race.

Sure I saw an interview with him where he said the tour was bigger than the Olympics in the cycling fraternity??

Sure I saw an interview with him where he said the tour was bigger than the Olympics in the cycling fraternity??

Was it not Wiggins saying that?

Either way Olympic Road Race is something Cavendish has a chance of winning outright, unlike the GC in the Tour.

I saw an interview where he said he hopes to win a stage but does not expect to win as many stages as normal.

He's lost a lot of weight so he can cope with the uphill bits of the Olympic course.

Wiggins is targeting TdF, Cav is targeting Olympics.

Edited by Cunny

Its set up to be a more open tour this year with more emphasis on time trials and lightly less on mountain finishes. Wiggins is in form but its going to be tough on Sky supporting both GC and Green Jersey efforts. Evans, Sanchez are the main competition along with Hesjedal and Nibali. Think Nibali will be a force in the tours in the next couple years.

Cavendish was just ahead of that but he then got a puncture and no support forthcoming. Had to wait five minutes for another wheel. Turns out the support car was caught up with the pileup. No consolation to him, it's virtually killed his chances of the green jersey.