By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

John Terry and The FA

WillG

More here.

When the game went to penalties, Chelsea struggled to find takers. Drogba was unavailable. Angry that he had been brought on to play wide right with less than a minute's warm-up time, Nicolas Anelka refused to strike one of the first five.

When Ronaldo missed for United, Lampard volunteered to move up from the number-four slot to convert the high-pressure third penalty. Aware of the opportunity to win the Champions League, Terry wanted to convert the final kick. Instead, the centre-back failed to take account of the sodden, deteriorating turf, went for precision rather than power, slipped into the ball with his standing leg and spooned it on to the outside of a post.

My link

• 1 month later...

from matt dickinson:

"Prosecution say that Terry accepts using "f*** off, f*** off", "f black c***" and "f nobhead" but defence will be "sarcastic exclamation"

the 'only joking' defence?

That's very clever. As a native English speaker he of course would be able to use such terms in a non-offensive manner.

Not like that sly Uruguayan.

He's walking away from this clean.

from matt dickinson:

"Prosecution say that Terry accepts using "f*** off, f*** off", "f black c***" and "f nobhead" but defence will be "sarcastic exclamation"

this is now the third different explanation to what happened that day

from matt dickinson:

the nuance of language? haha !

in that case, i change my mind - i think he's gonna be found guilty. Saracstic racist abuse is still racist abuse. The FA have established their own precedent. Literal translations only, please.

i thought his defence was the 'i didn't call you a..' bit being blocked to the cameras when a QPR player walked in front of him. He's f*cked.

in that case, i change my mind - i think he's gonna be found guilty. Saracstic racist abuse is still racist abuse. The FA have established their own precedent. Literal translations only, please.

i thought his defence was the 'i didn't call you a..' bit being blocked to the cameras when a QPR player walked in front of him. He's f*cked.

Yeah, exactly. And surely changing his explanation makes him sound even more guilty. This "sarcastic" defence sounds ludicrous.

Gonna be interesting how this plays out.

if this is his defence he must be found guilty. this feels like setting him up to be found technically guilty while he can point to the sarcasm bit after he's paid the fine to maintain that he's not actually a racist.

going to be oodles of character witnesses from chelsea now. black players lined up to say he's not a racist and was just foolish in using such an offensive term sarcastically etc.

if this is his defence he must be found guilty. this feels like setting him up to be found technically guilty while he can point to the sarcasm bit after he's paid the fine to maintain that he's not actually a racist.

supposedly said it in repsonse to Ferdinand taunting him about affair with Wayne Bridge's ex. So - not sarcastic at all - but abuse.

going to be oodles of character witnesses from chelsea now. black players lined up to say he's not a racist and was just foolish in using such an offensive term sarcastically etc.

well, yeah - but as it's only £2,500 fine max penalty it's unlikely he's gonna get anything less regardless

supposedly said it in repsonse to Ferdinand taunting him about affair with Wayne Bridge's ex. So - not sarcastic at all - but abuse.

i don't think that it's possible to say racist terms sarcastically though is it? in fact can you say any abusive terms sarcastically? it's a weird defence this.

i don't think that it's possible to say racist terms sarcastically though is it? in fact can you say any abusive terms sarcastically? it's a weird defence this.

It's like you say, just a daft way of saying "I was only messin". Bellend.

dunno, it's one thing to sit next to him on the bench or in the stands having a laugh, another to get up in court and say how great a lad he is

Sam Wallace@SamWallaceIndy Terry describes argument with Ferdinand (in FA statement) as 'a debate'

f*** me, he's going to look an even bigger t*** at the end of this. Should have took his medicine and moved on.

You would hope. I'd always assumed that the defence was he used blind c*** to the ref and when challenged by Ferdinand he said I didn't call you a.

I'm still expecting him to swerve any major sanction from the FA though.