By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Player of the season 2009

Morse

The final table looks like this:

1. Alonso...............73 points

2. Gerrard................71 points

3. Kuyt....................39 points

4. Torres.................38 points

5. Reina...................37 points

6. Benayoun............34 points

7. Mascherano.........30 points

8. Carragher............27 points

9. Hyypia.................27 points

10.Riera..................17 points

11.Skrtel.................16 points

12.Keane................15 points

13.Aurelio...............15 points

14.Arbeloa..............14 points

15.Lucas.................12 points

16.Agger...................9 points

17.Insua....................8 points

18.El Zhar..................4 points

19.Dossena...............4 points

20.Ngog....................3 points

21.Babel................... 1 point

22.Pennant............... 1 point

Morse's points to note:

A big fightback from Stevie in the final 3 or 4 matches didn't quite win it this season. I know a lot of people reckon Stevie is our best player and indeed he should be treasured; but Xabi has shown that he is a crucial heartbeat for our side.

The 5 Sites to vote are YNWA, Scouser Tommy, Est1892, Six Crazy Minutes and The Liverpool Way. Each will have their victim players and some will have their favourites, some posters take the opportunity to make jokes (IE: voting for opposition players/referee or Manager)...but overall I believe this format gives a good indication of the way we feel players have performed over the whole season

Dirk Kuyt has seriously become indispensable and will be a valued player for years to come.

Mascherano and Benayoun have also become consistent. We are lucky to have a powerful core of good players now. With Riera, Insua and Lucas set to improve, we could find that 19 comes sooner rather than later.

With this season possibly his last, we should thank this year's winner of the Player of the Season Award...

Xabi Alonso!

Thanks for voting with me all season, see you next year!

The Previous Winners table:

2005..................JAMIE CARRAGHER

2006..................STEVEN GERRARD

2007..................DIRK KUYT

2008..................JAVIER MASCHERANO

2009..................XABI ALONSO!!!

pewter_trophy_lrg.jpg

Amazing just how far ahead of the rest of them the top two were. They got about as many points as the next four combined.

No surprise from me though. When Xabi has not played, we have looked much more laborious and weaker in midfield. I wonder if other teams see the same thing and thus try to tackle him out of the game (with red card consequences....)

Amazing just how far ahead of the rest of them the top two were. They got about as many points as the next four combined.

No surprise from me though. When Xabi has not played, we have looked much more laborious and weaker in midfield. I wonder if other teams see the same thing and thus try to tackle him out of the game (with red card consequences....)

I remember a couple or three seasons back Anny Road telling us that his mate in the Citeh dressing room had passed on the news that Stuart Pearce had decided that Xabi was the fulcrum of our side and needed to be closed down above all else. He put most of the Citeh midfield on him, Xabi was injured and carried off after about 20 minutes, Citeh had no plan B so we roasted em.

Cheers for doing this Morsest - I appreciate it must take some time to do.

Am glad Alonso won. I know he probably played a few games more than Gerrard, but it says a lot about his consistency that he was in the top 3 for more than three quarters of the games he played in, and was so good that even coming on as sub, he would often get into the top 3. We badly missed Gerrard and Torres when they didn't play, but when Alonso was out our whole game looked like it was missing.

I'd flip flop Gerrard and Alonso but they've both been brilliant

People said the same last year about Torres and Mascherano (Javier nicked it), but it is great that we are no "one man team".

Great stuff. I'm delighted to see Alonso win it, and well in for doing it

why not send the final table on to the offal and see if they'll print it - it does represent the votes of a large part of the Liverpool fan web community after all - and then Xabi will no doubt be made aware of it and stay!

Edited by Heighway 61 Revisited

Great stuff. I'm delighted to see Alonso win it, and well in for doing it

why not send the final table on to the offal and see if they'll print it - it does represent the votes of a large part of the Liverpool fan web community after all - and then Xabi will no doubt be made aware of it and stay!

Email sent...you never know.

Javier has been outshown by Alonso this season. He's usually up there with the top 3 or 4 with his industry but he's had a comparatiely poor season to his previous ones.

Carra started off the season really really well but it tailed a bit towards the end. Signs of ageing perhaps.

Am really surprised that Aurelio is only 13th in that list. This has been his best season for us and he's looked really good for the most of it. But thats what happens with fullbacks, i guess. Finnan had great seasons but was never in the reckoning in these votes.

I would have laughed if someone had told me last season that Babel would only end up with ONE point ! I thought he'd kick on from last season and do really well.

Benny's made a lovely comeback towards the 2nd half of the season. Its no coincidence that his form has coincided with us doing really well against teams who come to Anfield looking to defend.

A decent summer window and I can see us winning the league next year. And it'll be the first time that i actually consider us amongst the favourites to win it. Even last year it was 'We can win it but its a long shot and there are better sides'. This time i'm confident. Come on you reds.

Edit: Alonso HAS to stay, though. Come on Xabi, do the right thing.

Edited by carrafan