By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The player who disappointed me most

Magic8Ball

Don't know about you, but for me that was Harry Kewell.

I remember watching him play for Leeds (hated them almost as much as Brian Clough did). He was skillful, elegant and a joy to watch. The speed the control, I just couldn't wait to see him in a Liverpool shirt. Ironically, I rarely saw him in a Liverpool shirt and most of the time it was disappointing, just goes to show sometimes greatness doesn't transfer across teams. The best game I recall of Kewell was that great wing display against Chelsea in the FA Cup semi's, single handedly he seemed to get us into the final. Had me thinking of what could have been had we got Kewell before his injury spell.

Other notable mentions:

Ince, Thomas (well he was ok at Arsenal), Morientes, Reidle, Zeige and Litmanen ( who I had such high hopes for )

anyone else got players who disappointed them while in a Liverpool shirt ?

Kewell was one of my favorite players outside Liverpool before he joined, can't stand him now

I was disappointed with Ziege because i really thought he was the missing link for us

never really been much of a fan of Morientes so I didn't expect much from him, I though thomas did ok for us

I used to Like Robbie Keane before he joined us, he is another one who I can't stand now

Kewell still seems to divide opinion. Was he a workshy sicknote or did injury rob him of the chance to really show what he could do in a Liverpol shirt? Not sure if I know but Rafa certainly seemed to have a lot of patience where he was concerned.

The thing about Litmanen is that he never seemed to get much of a chance. I thought that he showed some great flashes of what he could do and given a run in the side could have settled in and been quality, but he never got that run.

I think he and kewell possibly arrived here to late.

The thing about Litmanen is that he never seemed to get much of a chance. I thought that he showed some great flashes of what he could do and given a run in the side could have settled in and been quality, but he never got that run.

I think he and kewell possibly arrived here to late.

Litmanen was fragile and injured a bit. I do remember one game where the played with Fowler, they seemed on the same wavelength which was a street ahead of the rest of the team ( sorry to mix metaphors). Shame really as together I thought they could unlock packed defenses and would have been our best strike partnership since Fowler and Collymore ( who I forgot to add to my list of players who disappointed).

I thought Baros was going to be one of the best strikers in the world after the euros!

The whole strike force Cisse (French top scorer) Baros (Euro top scorer) Morientes (Champs League top scorer season before i think) looked amazing on paper, didn't work out as i thought!

Litmanen was fragile and injured a bit. I do remember one game where the played with Fowler, they seemed on the same wavelength which was a street ahead of the rest of the team ( sorry to mix metaphors). Shame really as together I thought they could unlock packed defenses and would have been our best strike partnership since Fowler and Collymore ( who I forgot to add to my list of players who disappointed).

Yeah I agree, but there was a rumour doing the rounds at one point about Litmanen and Houllier falling out over Heskey or something. Anyone remember the alleged incident?

Yeah I agree, but there was a rumour doing the rounds at one point about Litmanen and Houllier falling out over Heskey or something. Anyone remember the alleged incident?

It was pure internet myth making. The tale went that Litmanen was giving Heskey some pointers during training and that Houllier felt undermined, and then took his insecurity out on Jari. There is not a shred of evidence to support this it must be said.

Nigel Clough. The first in a long line of post Keegan-Kenny-Beardsley flop no 7's.

As a striker, Kuyt has really disappointed after looking the real deal in his first few games.

Oddly enough, given who Souness expected him to emulate I wasn't disappointed with Clough. But you do have a point, no one seems to be able to play well in the No. 7!

It's interesting, hearing Rafa talk of the desequilibrante I still feel we're missing him. I take the term to mean "unsettler" and/or magician someone you just cannot mark out of a game, someone who does what King Kenny could do and can do that consistently. Our current team is packed with good/great passers of the ball, but we're lacking someone who can dribble through a packed defense like a hot knife cuts through butter.

Messi's the closet thing to that I've seen in the modern game.

It was pure internet myth making. The tale went that Litmanen was giving Heskey some pointers during training and that Houllier felt undermined, and then took his insecurity out on Jari. There is not a shred of evidence to support this it must be said.

Aahh, cool, thanks for that.

Diouf was a big let down. I remember thinking during the 3rd-4th place play off that for all the talent he showed, he didnt score a goal or even look like scoring one - a very early seed of doubt.

Was also disappointed by Kirkland. I developed a real dislike for him just like the one I had for Westerveld.

Cisse was a huge disappointment. Although if he hadn't been hyped up so much, he may not have been quite such a big disappointment! But then Ged had a bad habit of over hyping players :)

I didn't think Kewell was tbh. He was such a major crock! So yeah it was disappointing he couldn't play more, but he was still a fine player.

Edited by Benitez

In fairness Benitez, Guy Roux didnt exactly keep a lid on it.

Roux was disappointed to see Cisse leave Auxerre, but believes he has made a good choice in joining Liverpool.

"I think he has made a very good choice. It is one of the best clubs he could have chosen.

"He will be a first team-member and that is the most important thing when you sign for a great club. Moreover, his game will perfectly fit with Owen's one. I even feel he will cause absolute carnage in the English defences."

In fairness Benitez, Guy Roux didnt exactly keep a lid on it.

In fairness Rory, I know, hence the whole embarrassing 'Carnage' thing here!

But GH did the over hyping thing with a lot of players, as you know, in fairness ;)

In fairness Rory, I know, hence the whole embarrassing 'Carnage' thing here!

But GH did the over hyping thing with a lot of players, as you know, in fairness ;)

In all fairness Benitez, I was just looking for an excuse to post that comment from Roux.

As for GH, he did keep a lid on it, after all, he never told us Cisse was the new [insert name] ;)

Except for the footballers stated here, Mark Gonzalez disappointed me a lot. I had seen him for Albacete and he tore Barca (and Puyol esp, who played right back) a new a******. It was a shame when he came here and i realised that he didnt have a pair. If he had half the balls that Luis did, we'd finally have had a proper left winger.

Up until his first serious injury Kewell was very good for us. Once he got injured it was all just downhill. And he was incredibly unlucky with injuries. Think it's a real shame he couldn't have stayed fit, but I'm disapponted with the bad luck he had rather than the player himself.

Wasn't disappointed with Diouf because I could never understand why we signed him. It wasn't even as if he had a great world cup, and his scoring record in France - hardly the toughest of leagues - was not even slightly impressive.

Had high hopes for Cheyrou and Cisse - Cisse was a real disappointment because for the hype and money we paid, I did think he'd score loads. Perfect example of how bad the French league is, and of how useless it is to have speed if you don't have a brain.

Up until his first serious injury Kewell was very good for us. Once he got injured it was all just downhill. And he was incredibly unlucky with injuries. Think it's a real shame he couldn't have stayed fit, but I'm disapponted with the bad luck he had rather than the player himself.

Wasn't disappointed with Diouf because I could never understand why we signed him. It wasn't even as if he had a great world cup, and his scoring record in France - hardly the toughest of leagues - was not even slightly impressive.

Had high hopes for Cheyrou and Cisse - Cisse was a real disappointment because for the hype and money we paid, I did think he'd score loads. Perfect example of how bad the French league is, and of how useless it is to have speed if you don't have a brain.

It was in the cup against Bolton I think, that's where Kewell's Liverpool career started its slide. He picked up an injury from one of fat Sam's thugs and that was that.

With regards to Cisse, that's a weird one. He did score 19 goals from a predominantly wide position. While it's true he lacked foot-balling intelligence, he was always a goal threat. I think Guy Roux was part of the problem, he built a team around Cisse and wouldn't let him go until he'd effectively spoiled him. Sometimes with players like that you need to get them young where you can mould them. I think Babel's an example of that, I would have preferred him a little sooner than we got him, or I would prefer him as more of a finished article.

As for Spit the dog, NO COMMENT ( so disgusted he played for us).