By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Luka Modric to the pool?

Guest balattack

Guest balattack

On a number of Croatian news sites. That Liverpool are interested in this Central Midfielder.

Chelsean and Tottenham and number of spanish clubs are also keen. Reported around 15 mill

Xabi on his way out?

He's very highly rated by a good part of the media and almost every big club has been 'apparently interested' in signing him at some point or the other. Think he's being lined up to play in the role that Gerrard is playing now.

Either that or its just his agent trying to drive his price up.

Guest oyvmong

If it's true, he must me intended for the playmaker role in the 4-2-3-1 system we're playing (where Gerrard is playing now).

Luka Modric admits he is flattered at claims that Liverpool have made a move to sign him.

It was reported in England that Tottenham had made moves to try and land the highly-rated midfielder - who has also attracted attention from Chelsea, Arsenal and Barcelona in recent months.

But the Croat media, says it is not Tottenham, but Liverpool who have made a firm offer for the 22-year-old.

Modric will almost certainly depart Dinamo Zagreb in the summer and the battle to sign him is firmly on, with Liverpool reported to be heading the queue.

Dinamo want around £18million for their prized asset, who is rated as one of the most impressive young midfielders in world football.

At just 22 - Modric is already a lynch-pin of the Croatian national side who comfortably dispatched of England in qualifying for Euro 2008.

Flattered

Modric has now admitted that he is delighted that Liverpool could be interested in signing him.

"I don't wish to discuss possible transfers, but if Liverpool really want me, then this is fantastic and I am truly honoured," he told Vecernji list.

"I watched the Champions League quarter-finals and the way they crushed Arsenal. Only the greatest and the best can play such a match against strong Arsenal"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3409618,00.html

Guest Milan

according to wikipedia:

At his team Dinamo Zagreb he usually plays as playmaker, on the left side of the field. His natural position is that of central midfielder and he plays as playmaker solely due to his capabilities to cover that role as well and to leave room for designated defensive midfielders in Dinamo's 4-2-3-1 formation

Nothing I've ever seen of him gives me the indication that he will make it at a big club. Decent enough squad player, but I'd certainly hope for someone better in the playmaker role. Also, a bit lightweight for the Premier League. Next!

Guest oyvmong
Nothing I've ever seen of him gives me the indication that he will make it at a big club. Decent enough squad player, but I'd certainly hope for someone better in the playmaker role. Also, a bit lightweight for the Premier League. Next!

Watching a lot of Croatian football eh?

what position does he play?

central midfield? wing? in the hole?

I've looked out for him ever since I read an article about him a year or so again and from what I've seen he seems to have what we're looking for - not sure what micmij is on about, always seems tough as nails. Can play where Gerrard or Babel plays in our 4-2-3-1. If we want him we'd have to go in for him before the Euros kick off as there's every chance his price tag will become a bit more bloated post Euro 2008.

Well, no. I did say from what I've seen of him - mostly for Croatia. He's been highly rated for a little while, certainly before the last World Cup, and I haven't seen in those games that he would be a commanding figure at a big club - which is what I hope Liverpool are (or are at least aiming at!), that's all. I'm just commenting on the fact that the article sees him as coming in to take the playmaking role over Gerrard. I'd be fine with him coming in as a squad player, but 15m is a bit steep.

The couple of times I've seen Modric in international he stood out, and I thought he looked a classy player. Intelligent, skilful, two footed and an excellent passer of the ball.

For me there would be other priorities in the terms of the type of player we need to sign, but if we have the money I'd like to see him here judging from what I've seen.

"I don't wish to discuss possible transfers, but if Liverpool really want me, then this is fantastic and I am truly honoured," he told Vecernji list.

"I watched the Champions League quarter-finals and the way they crushed Arsenal. Only the greatest and the best can play such a match against strong Arsenal"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3409618,00.html

If those quotes are true, I reckon there could be something in this. He's been very strongly linked with Arsenal and Chelsea in the past. To come out so strongly about us rather than the usual platitudes...

This is exactly the type of player we need to be signing that will help close the gap on the teams above us in the PL. Against England he absolutely ran the show against a midfield including Gerrard he was taking the mickey at times. Not sure where his best position is, but it wouldn't surprise me if its as a replacement for Alonso.

Because Mascherano is so good at covering in a lot of ground there really is no need for 2 sitting midfielders in a lot of the games we play. Alonso doesnt have the energy of pace to support the forwards Modric does. Maybe a formation something like this..

...........................Reina..............................

RB..............CB...............CB....................LB

.....................Mascherano.......................

................Modric.........Gerrard............

Kuyt....................Torres.....................Babel

Edited by alias75

Because Mascherano is so good at covering in a lot of ground there really is no need for 2 sitting midfielders in a lot of the games we play. Alonso doesnt have the energy of pace to support the forwards Modric does. Maybe a formation something like this..

the two games against Arsenal Alonso ran more than anyone else in the liverpool team, and the way we play one defensive midfielder is not going to be enough

i am always wary of buying players based on their international performances