By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The gulf between us and the elite

magneto

Was watching the quarter finals of the CL this week and it just strikes as overwhelming how much the gulf between Liverpool of 2013 is and the teams remaining in that competition.

If we're struggling to beat the teams above us, and they themselves struggled in the CL, then what hope is there for us?

You then start asking questions as to whether the likes of Sturridge, Allen, even Henderson are "world class". Are they? Are we actually building a team that will challenge for European honours in the next 5- 10 years?

Next month its 8 years since Istanbul, 6 since Athens and we're so far away, its depressing.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those players aren't world class. I don't think you need a team of world class players to get into the top 4, which is what are aim should be.

It's going to the next stage when you do, and there's no point us thinking about that at the moment. Likewise, I think wondering about challenging for european honours is running before you can walk in the extreme (champs league anyway).

It is depressing to not be in the compeition, though. Although, as an aside, Gala and Malaga aren't anything special at all.

Edited by Swipe

It's step by step though. I'm still a little on the fence with Rodgers but I can see a plan there and I like it. I admire how he's stuck to his guns and he's shown belief in his approach and is sticking with his plan which excites me.

We've had a very pragmatic approach for a long time with managers like Houllier and Rafa. I loved those times but what we're currently seeing is the start of something that's very different, and as a player I would assume would be very desirable to play in. If we can find success playing this brand of football I think better quality players will come.

Biggest issue for me come the summer is sorting out the balance between defence and attack. It's probably the most difficult thing in football to manage but that's where we're heading if we're going to stick with the current setup rather than previous setups where it was always build from the back. I don't know if that's about getting better players or about tactics but for me two centre backs and someone like a schweinsteiger to sit just behind Lucas would be, at least on paper steps in the right direction.

As for the centre backs if we only get one then it's got to be someone dominant in the air like Hyypia. Feck knows where you pick up the next Hyypia with agger skills, and pace to burn but I think playing the way we currently do you really need excellent top class defenders.

You've got a unique set of circumstances where Man Utd had a rough draw, Chelsea had ongoing internal issues, Man City had a pig of a group due to their comelatelyness and a manager with a mental block in the CL, and Arsenal are at some sort of trough which amounts to their worst team in years. Last year Chelsea won the thing. There is no gulf. However should we return, we may not have, for want of a better phrase, the corporate memory of how to play the comp, similar to City.

You've got a unique set of circumstances where Man Utd had a rough draw, Chelsea had ongoing internal issues, Man City had a pig of a group due to their comelatelyness and a manager with a mental block in the CL, and Arsenal are at some sort of trough which amounts to their worst team in years. Last year Chelsea won the thing. There is no gulf. However should we return, we may not have, for want of a better phrase, the corporate memory of how to play the comp, similar to City.

Agree with all this. Europe's 'top table' always looks light years away when you're not at it. I remember the feeling in 2003, and thinking that we'd never get near the latter stages of the EC in my bloody lifetime.

Right now I would settle for us getting back in the hunt to have a chance of winning our own league. CL qualification would come along with that if we can at least stay close. However, every year we are so far off winning the league it is shocking. Let's face it CL qualification is the be all and end all right now. Winning the League Cup, FA Cup or Europa League are nice distractions and some great days out for fans but CL qualification is a must. Being 25 points or more off first place in the league is embarrasing for a club with the history of Liverpool FC. It seems Utd will always be favoured with whoever else who wants to throw money at it challenging. The owners really have to decide if they want to put the money in needed to have a run for the league or frankly we will be top 7 every year. The shame is that under Rafa we had shown how well we could play in the CL and put in enough performances to show we belonged there at the time. Unless Big money is thrown around that will remain a distant memory.

On a positive note though, if you look at the starting line up for Istanbul I doubt you'd call them all world class players..

Dudek, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Traore, Garcia, Alonso, Gerrard, Riise, Kewell, Baros

v

Dida, Cafu, Stam, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka, Shevchenko, Crespo

Amazing when you think about it.

Dudek, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Traore, Garcia, Alonso, Gerrard, Riise, Kewell, Baros

v

Dida, Cafu, Stam, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka, Shevchenko, Crespo

Amazing when you think about it.

Jesus how did we win it.

v

I've never seen the line-ups side by side before. I'd forgotten how good that Milan team was. Every single one of them arguably a legend of the game.

I've never seen the line-ups side by side before. I'd forgotten how good that Milan team was. Every single one of them arguably a legend of the game.

Same here. It's quite staggering actually.