By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

commemorating Hillsborough at the match

Molby

I think Smithdown said before about coming up with something to honour Hillsborough - a new song perhaps

we already have the memorial in Anfield Rd. I was thinking about something to be done before games perhaps

I've been thinking about this for a while because (and I hope I'm able to express myself properly here) for some time now, during the struggle I haven't been entirely happy with all of the ad hoc chants - 'stand up for the 96' etc

I much preferred the likes of what we did against Arsenal that time, in a kind of 'less is more' type of way

this season I've twice sat down and heard that 'stand up for the 96' and I'm not massively keen on it; obviously not because I'm indifferent but because it's just a bit too throwaway for my liking

now that the tide has turned I was thinking of something really dignified, yet celebrating the success of the struggle, the families, the justified defiance, our supporters...the whole bit

something like(but not actually this - as I said I've drawn a blank here so far) a new verse inserted in to YNWA, perhaps as well, it henceforth finishes with Justice! Justice! Justice! shouted out 3 times like when we played Arsenal and maybe something like 96 balloons released as the players come out

as I said, the type of idea rather than the actual suggestion - anyone got any thoughts on this?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can't remember which club it is in Europe but every game they play the crowd stand up and clap at a certain point in the game for a minute due to a similar tragedy they experienced.

Maybe we can do that for a minute at 6 mins every game?

Dunno just throwing it out there.

Think it would need to be something permanent in the ground in a similar vein to the memorial rather than an "action"

Perhaps 96 seats throughout the ground in some way different to the others.

I'm not sure the memorial doesn't say everything that is needed already to be honest.

Think it would need to be something permanent in the ground in a similar vein to the memorial rather than an "action"

Perhaps 96 seats throughout the ground in some way different to the others.

I'm not sure the memorial doesn't say everything that is needed already to be honest.

a couple of thoughts:

most of our fans don't attend the game

and for the families and everyone affected, after struggling for so long (and I know it isn't over but hopefully one day soon it will be) one can fall in to a kind of vacuum after fighting so long and hard for something and then suddenly that part of your life is over. It's not just a given that you find solace and move on; what if you wake up the next morning and realise that the fight for justice was all that was keeping you going?

so this would keep it alive for everyone. I think it's right that this should happen within games too, as that's what this is all about, and that it should be interactive but in an unobtrusive way...if you follow

I like Ibby's proposal, just contemplating the protocol if we score one second in to the 6 minutes

do we celebrate and get back to it or leave it as it is? not a deal breaker btw

I think a proper song. A story. Something specific about how we feel about the families. The 96 will always be with us, something that remembers the families is just as important.

This, all day long. The fight for justice must continue but I think the song should focus on them rather than the purpotrators of the cover up. Difficult though it is to separate the two.

Those first 6 minutes we did against Arsenal, we shoudl do that every game.It'd get the fans going anyway.

We could stop if we scored.

Another verse of YNWA would be great, but half the crowd claps in the wrong place as it is!

but 6 minutes every game...

do you think that would be sustained? maybe if it went around the sides of the ground

main stand, Anny rd, centenary and finishing with the Kop, or vice versa? so then everyone only puts in a 1.30minute shift and then stops for the next part of the ground to carry on

as you say, would get the crowd going

Ok have found a couple of examples of the "everlasting applause" as it's known as. Club Brugge do it every game during the 23rd minute. Here are two examples of it in the games they played against birmingham city in the Europa league last season (sorry on iPhone don't know how to inbed the vids):

First vid is during the home game:

Second vid is in st Andrews. That's the beauty about it, it can be done home and away and all the crowd can join in, as the Birmingham city fans evidently do in this vid:

Molby I am not sure what happens if a goal goes in during the 6th minute I don't think it would be wrong or disrespectful to celebrate as the 96 were also all reds like us and would have celebrated with us if they were still with us today?

This, all day long. The fight for justice must continue but I think the song should focus on them rather than the purpotrators of the cover up. Difficult though it is to separate the two.

That would be difficult, and tbh I'm thinking something that describes the kind of foes they have faced down on our behalf, that they took on the biggest case of state-sanctioned corruption this country has ever seen would be highly appropriate imo. I think there's room for something determinedly celebratory, something that shows them how proud we are of them as individuals, which can tell their story to future generations the way something like Liver Bird Upon My Chest does.

Edited by smithdown

When we played Alaves in the final, didn't they have the names of all their season ticket holders in feint print all over their shirts?

How about the names of the 96 on ours, and only on the ones that the first team players wear, not the ones you can buy in the shops, to kind of emphasise the privilege of pulling on that shirt?

It also emphasies that '96' isn't just a number (which the 'Stand up for the 96' stuff, whilst well intentioned, kind of misses in some ways). They were 96 individuals, each with their own hopes, dreams, joys, fears

In a weid way, it is often the presence of Kenny and even the Youth Team kids at stuff like Wednesday that really brings it home to me and finishes me off - because it reminds that just like me, they were just normal people who went to go and watch the team they loved. Trevor Hicks paying tribute to 'our magnificent team' the day after the Chelsea 4-4 at the 20th anniversary memorial destroyed me.

For that reason, I'd like the lasting and ongoing tribute - to each of those 96 people as individuals in theior own right - to be out there on the pitch.

I think a song would be great as well by the way.

That would be difficult, and tbh I'm thinking something that describes the kind of foes they have faced down on our behalf, that they took on the biggest case of state-sanctioned corruption this country has ever seen would be highly appropriate imo. I think there's room for something determinedly celebratory, something that shows them how proud we are of them as individuals, which can tell their story to future generations the way something like Liver Bird Upon My Chest does.

it's the best result but perhaps the hardest to achieve

someone has to write it, most people have to like it and it has to get sung every game

the pragmatist in me says it might be more practical to try something simpler than a whole new song, like the clapping on 6 minutes to start and then I reckon a new song would eventually evolve from there that embodies the themes you describe above

I know I keep going on about it but couldn't a minutes applause do that smithy? Looking at the example I found the brummies became aware of the significance of it and joined in, even at St Andrews.

The whole stadium doing that for the victims and their loved ones would be a fitting tribute IMO and would ensure that the future generations never forget.

The cause and the familes need no separation and symbolic words could be used to articulate the historical importance to the club and the fans. Im not sure it would be good to mention the govt, the syp or Mackenzie though. Their names should never be preserved for posterity.

I know I keep going on about it but couldn't a minutes applause do that smithy? Looking at the example I found the brummies became aware of the significance of it and joined in, even at St Andrews.

The whole stadium doing that for the victims and their loved ones would be a fitting tribute IMO and would ensure that the future generations never forget.

Personally, I'd rather we did something a bit more unique to us.

Maybe my suggestion isn't exactly unique either, though I'm not aware of anything similar done for similar reasons or over a concerted period of time.

When we played Alaves in the final, didn't they have the names of all their season ticket holders in feint print all over their shirts?

How about the names of the 96 on ours, and only on the ones that the first team players wear, not the ones you can buy in the shops, to kind of emphasise the privilege of pulling on that shirt?

It also emphasies that '96' isn't just a number (which the 'Stand up for the 96' stuff, whilst well intentioned, kind of misses in some ways). They were 96 individuals, each with their own hopes, dreams, joys, fears

In a weid way, it is often the presence of Kenny and even the Youth Team kids at stuff like Wednesday that really brings it home to me and finishes me off - because it reminds that just like me, they were just normal people who went to go and watch the team they loved. Trevor Hicks paying tribute to 'our magnificent team' the day after the Chelsea 4-4 at the 20th anniversary memorial destroyed me.

For that reason, I'd like the lasting and ongoing tribute - to each of those 96 people as individuals in theior own right - to be out there on the pitch.

I think a song would be great as well by the way.

I like that idea

and back to the clapping on 6 minutes - it could start with the scoreboard scrolling down the names of the 96 as a cue to start - as they scroll, we clap

1 minute would be enough imo - manageable and everyone would participate (that's not to say the song shouldn't happen but we could start the clapping almost immediately)

Edited by Molby

It occurred to me during that game that it would be infinitely more fitting for us to have the names of the 96 on our shirt.

The cause and the familes need no separation and symbolic words could be used to articulate the historical importance to the club and the fans. Im not sure it would be good to mention the govt, the syp or Mackenzie though. Their names should never be preserved for posterity.

possibly, aye, I don't really see myself ever singing "mackenzie" in any context if I think about it, I don't even join in on any of the silly chants about him now, and after him there's loads of other names that would have to follow, wouldn't be fair on Simon Heffer or Jeremy Hunt etc to leave them out

Would it not be better to have a permanent reminder of their lives rather than their deaths?

Well to be pedantic that isn't when they died. It's when it became 'Hillsborough' and is widely acknowledged as the sentient time we remember them.

Also, Molby's point (I think) is that there is more to the tragedy than the 96 that died. There's the hundreds, no thousands of walking wounded we also need to acknowledge.

Edited by Mike

Would it not be better to have a permanent reminder of their lives rather than their deaths?

I can see the merit in the clock as a permanent physical reminder in the stadium but we already have the memorial

I go back to the scrolling of the names in order to commemorate their lives as you say

on the 6th minute, a gong strikes and the 96 names scroll down the scoreboard - it takes a minute and we applaud throughout; then the gong strikes and it's finished; if we have a song then that would be a good time to air it; if not, Justice! Justice! Justice! at the end would be good. Just 3 times would be effective I think

if I was a parent of one of those who died I would be absolutely delighted to have my son/daughter honoured by the club and the fans in this way at every home game (I need a bit of artistic licence with this statement - obviously speculating on how one would feel in that situation isn't to be taken lightly but I hope you see where I'm coming from)