By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Chilli con carne

Guy_Incognito

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you reckon they don't taste as nice, then?

I'm not arsed about being in a chilli-making contest with you all anyway. it's just faux-machismo, like Andy going on about how he loves his curries bloody hot.

yeah...you with your lifes too short to chop onions, grate cheese, crush a f***ing clove of garlic...and we're the ones peddling faux machismo.

What do you do in the 60 seconds it takes to grate a bit of cheese?

[Ostrich Man, this is your cue]

As John says it is the cleaning that's the time consumer. That and grating your fingers trying to do the last bit... which I have been known to do.

Are we sure Andy doesn't mean plain haricot? I have to admit, I like mixing my beans in chilli - haricot, black eye, kidney, all three.

Sweetcorn has no place in a chilli though.

Nah, normal baked beans and Kidney beans. Love beans me. And sweetcorn is nice - you should give it a go! Adds a little something.

But, as I said, the whole thing is down to choice to personal preference. If you like different kinds of beans - lash em in - if you don't like sweetcorn - don't put it in!

Everyones a winner :)

Far from it for me to bash another baked bean lover, but doesn't the tomato sauce in the beans water down the chilli sauce?

Open goal for OM there Gilps. Sloppy.

I don't use Chili sauce. I either use a mountain of chili powder or (more usually) several nice hot chopped chilis. No way some baked beans are going to water that down :)

My chillis are rather hot though, it must be said - just lucky me and the missus like em that way.

Is buying grated cheese any more of a cheat than buying sliced bread?

No.

Depends entirely of how much of each is represented by "1 amount"

Erm..

As many big spoons of Chili powder you are happy with - Drop into Pan - OR get fresh chilies, chop them up finely and drop them in - I tend to put a load of very hot chillies in rather than chili powder - but again this is personal choice.

1 can of baked beans - Drop into Pan

Well you are making a chilli sauce, aren't you?

Nope. I'm just chucking loads of s*** into a pan, heating it up and hoping for the best.

I'd make a great chef, me.

Nope. I'm just chucking loads of s*** into a pan, heating it up and hoping for the best.

I'd make a great chef, me.

:lol:

Andy. When you put ONE AMOUNT of chillies in the pot along with ONE AMOUNT of passata, then you are making a chilli sauce.

Edited by Des

"1 can dark beer

1 cup strong coffee "

"Add tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth. "

Wtf? Coffee and beer goes into the making of a chilli? The beer i can just about see, but coffee just sounds disgusting.

Btw, Stag Dynamite Hot chilli is good for a canned chilli if you're being lazy and cant be bothered doing proper cooking. It contains habaneros, and is pretty damn hot.

"1 can dark beer

1 cup strong coffee "

"Add tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth. "

Wtf? Coffee and beer goes into the making of a chilli? The beer i can just about see, but coffee just sounds disgusting.

It's stunning. Just remembered that I added grated chocolate instead of sugar.

You eat mince from a can, so have no valid point of view.

Edited by Captain Sanil Crastow

It's stunning. Just remembered that I added grated chocolate instead of sugar.

You eat mince from a can, so have no valid point of view.

I havent actually had chilli from a can since leaving Uni a couple of years ago, and it was perhaps only nice because i couldnt cook and the habaneros in it were so spicy i couldnt really taste anything after a while.

I'll try making that recipe sometime soon. I normally just make chilli very simply: tomatoes, onion, garlic, cumin, chilli powder, chillies, tomato puree, beef stock, minced beef. Easy.

I havent actually had chilli from a can since leaving Uni a couple of years ago, and it was perhaps only nice because i couldnt cook and the habaneros in it were so spicy i couldnt really taste anything after a while.

I'll try making that recipe sometime soon. I normally just make chilli very simply: tomatoes, onion, garlic, cumin, chilli powder, chillies, tomato puree, beef stock, minced beef. Easy.

It's the mix of chunks of meat and mince that do it for me, the mince sort of melts and just becomes part of the sauce.