By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Purslow's accounting

David Hodgson

Been giving a lot of thought to the statements and briefings coming from Purslow in the past fortnight regarding our incredible vanishing transfer budget.

According to his 'accounting' we have no money left for transfers, despite the alleged provision for the manager of a new £20m net this summer. He claims we must offset the monies raised from selling Keane, Alonso, Arbeloa, Leto and others (totalling c.£54m) against the purchases of Riera, Aquilani, Johnson, 'the greek' (totalling c.£44m) and the new contracts given to Torres, Gerrard and Kuyt.

Hmmm. By his own rationale, the books have been balanced by offsetting sales against purchases, with a surplus of c.£10m, so therefore that money and the £20m that Rafa was 'promised' has actually all gone on new improved player contracts ? My ar*e. Improving the pay of existing employees is an operational cost, and although this kind of wage inflation can be expensive, it is not out of kilter with the 'inflation' in the club's earnings (turnover continues to rise, therefore pro-rata headroom exists for wage increases). At any rate claiming these increases wipe out a £20m transfer budget is ludicrous.

All of the above is based upon giving Purslow's bent logic the time of day. The truth is that Riera and Keane were affordable to the club a year ago, and were clearly factored into available cashflow at that time. I'll guarantee that following Riera's purchase that Rafa wasn't told 'oh, by the way, you're going to need to sell a player for at least £8m in 6 months time to make Riera affordable'. Therefore, approaching xmas 2008, G & H's finances cannot have been planned around selling a player that Rafa had just bought 6 months earlier (Keane). To this end, it's clear that there is no other way to treat the Keane £15m gained in January than as new money that should have been available to the manager there and then.

Purslow has admitted that £20m was earmarked for Rafa this summer, and even allowing for the fact that most of that wasn't new money (£15m of it from Keane), that still suggests Rafa should have had a total of c.£59m to spend, after the sales he made. He spent c.£37m so where's the other c.£22m gone ? Wage rises again.

It's a scandalous fudge by Purslow and he's shown himself to be a traitor on a parry/Moores level already.

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a scandalous fudge by Purslow and he's shown himself to be a traitor on a parry/Moores level already.

Purslow was brought in by the Amercians to run the club the way the Americans wanted it run.

I expected nothing less. The truth is that our debt has been reduced this summer and that is money that should have been allowed from transfers.

My worry is that every season we are going to have to sell a player to finance other deals.

It is scandalous DH, you are spot on and the problem seems to be that the press aren't investigating while the fans don't have a voice.

Someone needs to take it up with him or the club.

You are right about Purslow, he is clearly a skilled businessman and has a great CV but he's marked his card with all this. Never to be trusted again.

Purslow was brought in by the Amercians to run the club the way the Americans wanted it run.

I expected nothing less. The truth is that our debt has been reduced this summer and that is money that should have been allowed from transfers.

My worry is that every season we are going to have to sell a player to finance other deals.

Yep. Seems that way. Too coincidental that the banks tell G & H to bring down the debt as a proviso of the re-finance and then low and behold Rafa suddenly runs out of funds.

Idid hope that Purslow as a 'fan' might have understand the need to treat fellow fans with honesty, even if the news being delivered wasn't great.

The truth is that Riera and Keane were affordable to the club a year ago, and were clearly factored into available cashflow at that time. I'll guarantee that following Riera's purchase that Rafa wasn't told 'oh, by the way, you're going to need to sell a player for at least £8m in 6 months time to make Riera affordable'.

I was told (by an absolute Parry hater) at the time of the signing that Parry had played a blinder signing Riera, that the cupboard really was bare and Parry had to battle Espanyol and battle internally to get the clearance.

The question about Purslow isn't whether or not he's doing someone's bidding, it's whether it's G&H's or RBS'.

There's that 50 million in from the Premiership TV rights too knocking about. It's obvious we are actually flush in one respect but the money must be all going to sort out G&H's debt. Interesting too that the SportsMedia site have it today (link) that Hicks is definitely lining up buyers for his Texas NetBall team (or whatever the hell sport it is) implying both him and Gillet are going to focus on Liverpool. That would tie in with them looking to reduce their debt here too. Gives me a real sense of "mediocrity here we come..."

I will not accept being lied to by the hierarchy in such an underhand manner. They're treating us as idiots, incapable of forming our own opinions. The very idea that £20M can disappear from the budget for 'new contracts' is an embarrassing claim to make, especially as we've lost some £250K a week in wage commitments already this summer. Unless we are now incapable of meeting the demands of our very modest wage bill, relative to our fight for the title, we have been had good and proper and that £25M-odd is now sitting nicely in an RBS account.

It is a sham, and a disgrace, and Purslow can't be trusted with any of his public statements in future. It's a disgraceful state of affairs.

New football stadia key to Liverpool's 2018 World Cup plans

Sep 3 2009 by Marc Waddington, Liverpool Daily Post

..................Anfield managing director Christian Purslow explained that, for Liverpool FC, the “centrepiece is to deliver a world-class football ground that everyone can be proud of, a new home for the club with a stadium of at least 60,000 seats, giving the best possible match experience.”

He added that the project would begin “when contraction in the world banking market ends and recession finds its equilibrium”.

He added: “It’s a central part of the council’s regeneration strategy for Stanley Park around Anfield. Research shows that benefits to the local economy and community will be much greater than if the club was expanded in situ or moved away.”

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverp...92534-24595780/

It is scandalous DH, you are spot on and the problem seems to be that the press aren't investigating while the fans don't have a voice.

Someone needs to take it up with him or the club.

You are right about Purslow, he is clearly a skilled businessman and has a great CV but he's marked his card with all this. Never to be trusted again.

Absolutely. It's frightening, because either he thought we'd swallow it, or he doesn't care. I don't know what's worse.

I was told (by an absolute Parry hater) at the time of the signing that Parry had played a blinder signing Riera, that the cupboard really was bare and Parry had to battle Espanyol and battle internally to get the clearance.

The question about Purslow isn't whether or not he's doing someone's bidding, it's whether it's G&H's or RBS'.

Either way, one would have hoped the blatant lying could at least stop.

it's nothing but theft.

Been on a united site and the acceptance amongst theirs is quite startling. We're in the same boat us and them.

The fact they made a loss last season despite the operating profit etc etc. And there's f*** all they can do.

Either way, one would have hoped the blatant lying could at least stop.

No, it can't. There's enough who will buy it, or rather buy it to the point they won't go bananas and think, well he has had money to spend and it was his decision to buy Aquilani and not invest in the rest of the squad and he must have known the score and and and... and there's nothing we can do anyway.

We should be going bananas with something ridiculous happening.

I never swallowed the wages issue.

Assuming Kuyt, Torres and Gerrard split an extra £60k between them per week over the next 4 years, thats approx £12.5mln.

But how much are we saving with Hyypia leaving, his wages must have been approx £30k a week meaning the net increase is 30k/week, hardly earth shattering as its the average wage of a squad player.

---------------------------------------------

Also, is Acquillani getting the same as Alonso ?

We budgeted for Keane's wages for 4 years last Summer, Glen Johnson will take that along with Arbeloa's wage.

----------------------------------------------

The net increase in wages is maybe the equivalent of adding a squad player or two - can that swallow a whole budget ?

No, it can't. There's enough who will buy it, or rather buy it to the point they won't go bananas and think, well he has had money to spend and it was his decision to buy Aquilani and not invest in the rest of the squad and he must have known the score and and and... and there's nothing we can do anyway.

See my comment re united.

There's some who are saying things like "I'd rather squad investment not happen if it stabilises the debt". Whilst I take his point, the reason that stabilisation needs to happen is that c**** like G&H and Glazer are basically reducing the risk to them and putting it all on the club and the fans end up stumping up the f***ing difference.

Meanwhile the team that is on the pitch is f***ing poorer.

I think it has come to that stage. I was all for waiting for the transfer window to close before confirming the truth, unfortunately, those predicting the poor state we are in were right all along. I think something needs to be done to get pressure on these c****.

I think it has come to that stage. I was all for waiting for the transfer window to close before confirming the truth, unfortunately, those predicting the poor state we are in were right all along. I think something needs to be done to get pressure on these c****.

I judge you for needing to wait.

Sorry.

Absolutely. It's frightening, because either he thought we'd swallow it, or he doesn't care. I don't know what's worse.

Whilst vocal protests from the fans remain a minority affair, and the press seem oblivious to and/or disinterested in the story, it's very easy for them to behave like that. They're pretty much acting with impunity becuase there's hardly anyone challenging them or making life difficult enough.

The problem is that we are doing absolutely nothing about the situation. We can do simple things like boycott purchase of any type of club merchandise, cancel RBS bank accounts and not attend any type of Cup matches. We can send the message to other supporters to follow suit as this is the only thing that will drive out these two cretins.

From my side I have not purchased any club merchandise for over a year. I have also closed my RBS bank account. They asked me for the reason why I was closing my account. I told them if they refinancing G&H's loans I will come back.

I have also cancelled my Sky subscription and gave them the same reason.

All of my Liverpool friends (around 20 of them) have done the same. Its better than nothing.