By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Dirk and Ryan could be off to Euro 2008

R A Softlad

Provisional Holland squad announced:

Goalkeepers: Sander Boschker (FC Twente), Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United FC), Maarten Stekelenburg (AFC Ajax), Henk Timmer (Feyenoord).

Defenders: Wilfred Bouma (Aston Villa FC), Tim de Cler (Feyenoord), Urby Emanuelson (AFC Ajax), John Heitinga (AFC Ajax), Kew Jaliens (AZ Alkmaar), Joris Mathijsen (Hamburger SV), Mario Melchiot (Wigan Athletic FC), André Ooijer (Blackburn Rovers FC).

Midfielders:Ibrahim Afellay (PSV Eindhoven), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Feyenoord), Orlando Engelaar (FC Twente), Nigel de Jong (Hamburger SV), Denny Landzaat (Feyenoord), Hedwiges Maduro (Valencia CF), Wesley Sneijder (Real Madrid CF), Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburger SV), Demy de Zeeuw (AZ Alkmaar).

Forwards: Ryan Babel (Liverpool FC), Klaas Jan Huntelaar (AFC Ajax), Danny Koevermans (PSV Eindhoven), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool FC), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Real Madrid CF), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (Celtic FC), Robin van Persie (Arsenal FC), Arjen Robben (Real Madrid CF)

Feckin hell. They have some very good strikers in their squad.

Not a patch on our strikers for the upcoming games against Serbia and Colombia:

Kevin Doyle - Reading

Robbie Keane* Tottenham Hotspur

Andy Keogh - Wolverhampton Wanderers

Shane Long - Reading

Daryl Murphy - Sunderland

:-(

No great shakes until they get to the forwards, then very tasty

Sneijder, De Jong and Van Der Vaart are all pretty decent. But in terms of Defence, I think they're a bit weak.

I'm also supporting Spain, but at the same time I'm a bit concerned about Torres not getting a proper rest over the summer...

Spain just announced -

The list of invited to the Euro is as follows:

ARSENAL: Cesc

Barcelona: Puyol, Iniesta and Xavi

Betis: Juanito

GETAFE : De la Red

LIVERPOOL: Arbeloa, Reina, Xabi Alonso and Torres

Real Madrid: Casillas, Sergio Ramos

Mallorca: Fernando Navarro and Güiza

Sevilla: Palop

Valencia: Albiol, Marchena, Silva and Villa

VILLARREAL: Capdevila, Cazorla and Senna

Zaragoza: Sergio García.

Bojan had already pulled out due to exhaustion

Has Bojan played for Spain yet?

He pulled out of an international game a couple of months ago. I wonder if he's undecided about which country to reresent?

from the interviews he's done over the last two days, it's just that he's knackered. Been a stressful season at Barca and he just wants a complete break. His parents and him discussed it with Aragones

a few days ago and the selection was delayed until today, says no one should doubt his committment, as he feels he' shown that through the U17 and World Cup achievements over the last two summers.

So no Raul then, personal indifferences might be what will end Spain`s title hopes once again.

Think the lack of Raul might be what makes them go further, tbh. He's rediscovered his form this season, but he wields (or at least tries to) too much power both at Madrid and the national side. Apparently the rest of the squad couldn't stand being around him at the World Cup because he spent the entire time moaning about not getting picked. Aragones has got rid of him for the sake of team harmony. Weird using the words "Aragones" and "harmony" in the same sentence, mind.

But still, as Aragones barked at someone who questioned his persistent non-selection of Raul in recent times, "How many tournaments has Raul played at? Five. How many have Spain won with Raul? None."

Pretty black and white, that stat.

Edited by hisdumbwaiter

So no Raul then, personal indifferences might be what will end Spain`s title hopes once again.

I think you've gone totally the wrong way with that one... I actually think Raul's absence will be a factor in actually reducing personal indifferences and creating a better team ethic.

Plus the fact they have so many players now based abroad, it seems there is less of the old Barca (Catalan) v Madrid v Basque v Everyone else splits that have been a problem in the past.

I'd love Spain to win it!!

Guest Prongsy

?

Not getting you there.

Kuyt has been magnificent on the right since we've changed formation, Babel has proven he can be, at the very least, a very dangerous weapon from the bench with his displays against Arsenal and Chelsea.

?

Not getting you there.

Kuyt has been magnificent on the right since we've changed formation, Babel has proven he can be, at the very least, a very dangerous weapon from the bench with his displays against Arsenal and Chelsea.

Bit generous that.

Guest Prongsy
ridiculous is what id call it. have these people ever seen a magnificent right sided midfielder???

Yeah, I have. Quite a few, Kuyt doesn't match any of them and I'm all in favor of him being replaced and returned to his natural position.

His performances against Inter and Arsenal however, they were first class. That's why I said he's been magnificent, maybe an overstatement but certainly not ridiculous, given some of his performances.

Edited by Prongsy

?

Not getting you there.

Magnificent ? Holy f***.