By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

INTER MILAN v LIVERPOOL

ynwa.tv

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got a team is tactically astute in defence and is finally brimming with confidence in attack with a two goal lead and a manager that is in his element in these situations

versus

A team that has defensive problems and is in a bad run of form (relatively speaking) and with a history of choking in such situations.

The only way I can see us being knocked out is if we concede an early goal or get a red card or basically all the 50/50 breaks go Inter's way.

If this was 0-0 we would fancy our chances of going through so I see no reason to be nervous when the game kicks off. As I said, an early goal for them will put it right back in the balance but only once in Rafa's reign have we lost 2-0 in Europe and that was home to Benfica - an entirely different situation.

Guest Sabre

Chivu apparently going to play through the pain barrier after popping his shoulder recently. He'll play with heavy strapping to protect it. They're without Samuel, Cordoba, Dacourt, Crespo and Materazzi.

Edited by Sabre

Just need a sensible, composed and relaxed approach to the game - work hard - don't overextend, try and keep the ball and put pressure on their centrebacks with counterattacking moves.

Decent performances from our defence and midfield should give our forwards and wide men a bit of space and a platform to build on.

Whatever happens - I think we need to try and not get carried away and just play our game and don't let them dictate the play.

Going to be very, very, very difficult - but with them pressing and pushing plus the unfamiliarity of their centre backs with each other - you never know.

Reina

Arbeloa Carragher Hyypia Riise

Alonso Gerrard Mascherano

Kuyt Torres Babel

Subs: Martin, Skrtel, Aurelio, Lucas, Benayoun, Crouch.

almost right, but we can have seven on the bench :)

If aurelio is fit he might play, although i would prefer JAR

Guest Prongsy
I reckon Rafa will go for it, one of those 20-minute blitzes to begin the game, try to score, end of tie.

Yeah, I think that's right. If that plan doesn't work, we'll hit them on the counter attack.

Guest Prongsy
More and more I get the feeling that Finnan's career is grinding to an end. Shame, because he's been consistently good for us, for a long time.

Whilst agree about his consistent goodness, he's getting a bit older now and if we can bring in someone like Rafinha in the summer, then with Arbeloa being the right age, I can't see Finnan being much more ethan a spare part.

Whilst agree about his consistent goodness, he's getting a bit older now and if we can bring in someone like Rafinha in the summer, then with Arbeloa being the right age, I can't see Finnan being much more ethan a spare part.

I think with Finnan it is a case of a Bob Paisley-ism; Make sure your players' legs go for another team.

Yeah, agreed.

Said it before, but the celarest indication of Rafa's squad improvements is the players leaving. Garcia, Sissoko, etc....sorry to see all those players go, will be equally sorry to see Finnan leave, if he does go. Makes a change from celebrating every departure.

Guest Prongsy
Yeah, agreed.

Said it before, but the celarest indication of Rafa's squad improvements is the players leaving. Garcia, Sissoko, etc....sorry to see all those players go, will be equally sorry to see Finnan leave, if he does go. Makes a change from celebrating every departure.

Yeah, you've hit on a very good point. They players purchased by Rafa that we're getting rid of, and that are adjudged to be not good enough for Liverpool, are going for more money than we paid for them (as a rule, with exceptions) and are often being fought for by more than one club. There are many players from the Houllier era that we couldn't give away.

We've got players now, like Crouch, Pennant, Riise et al, that will be sought by more than one or two other clubs and made profit on.

It underlines the point that only top players are going to improve us. We've got to the stage where one top player a season, instead of 5/6 solid players, is the route we must take (unless we get some major funds from DIC, that is - then it's 3/4 top players this summer)