Tosh happy for Craig Bellamy

Benitez

'Special' Liverpool suits Bellamy

By John Ley

(Filed: 15/08/2006)

John Toshack, the Wales manager, spoke yesterday of his delight that Craig Bellamy, the new Liverpool striker, had inherited his place as an Anfield forward.

Wales play Bulgaria in Swansea tonight, and Bellamy, who has bedded in well since his arrival at Liverpool, will begin alongside the Norwich striker Robert Earnshaw.

"The most important thing for me is that Craig is happy," said Toshack. "He has worked his way there intelligently. They were his boyhood club. He had his problems at Newcastle, he went to Celtic, he won himself a medal up there and got himself involved in matches, and after his move to Celtic, he went to Blackburn with Mark Hughes. "He did well for Mark, they were good for each other and now he has got this move which is great for him, at his age. It comes at a great time because they are a big, big club, one involved in the Champions League and he has already won his first medal too [the Community Shield]. "Liverpool is very special. A European night there is very special. Those of us who have been privileged enough to have experienced it will never forget. You can take the man out of Liverpool but you can't take Liverpool out of the man. Craig knows what to expect. I was having the same chat to Xabi Alonso, who made his debut for me at Real Sociedad and then went to Liverpool."

ere