Sign in to follow this  
New York Red

The 2022 World Cup

South Africa could be said to have done their bit in encouraging integration, given they were quicker than the Springboks to have black players. There's also the factor of hosting more than one ACN. Oh, and has Cobs pointed out, they've qualified for a tournament or two

Qatar has staged regional competitions too.

I doubt people would see a tournament staged in Kuwait any differently, tbh.

Be interesting how they react if there a few openly gay players picked for the tournament, bound to be a few who are out by then.

Noooooo. Isn;t it falconry, galloping through the sand dunes on camels, and playing polo with a dead sheep? Sports like that?

That's Dorset.

Be interesting how they react if there a few openly gay players picked for the tournament, bound to be a few who are out by then.

Maybe even in the South Africa team.

Rambo III

That's Dorset.

Maybe even in the South Africa team.

They won't qualify, going backwards their standard of football.

Qatar has staged regional competitions too.

I doubt people would see a tournament staged in Kuwait any differently, tbh.

Pick a Middle East nation, you'll have the same cons being flung at you. The conditions were always going to be against playing there, which is why it same as a "shock" that they won the bid.

Be honest, running about for 90 minutes in July, where would you feel better doing it - Australia, America (and they had real issues in 94), Japan, South Korea or Qatar?

Ah, right.

Well Saudi have and so has Kuwait. Would it meet your approval if it was held there?

If they had an honest bid for the tournament, to include the time of year when the thing was to be hosted and hadn't say paid off a South American country's Football Association's debt to secure their vote then yeah.

I don't have a problem with Qatar per se - I'm sure once you get past the homophobia, exploitation of foreign workers and the odd human rights abuses you'd find they're a great bunch of lads

I reckon there's other criteria when it comes to dues "paid to the game", tbh.

cracking - let's see your list and where the Qatari's have earned it?

Edited by Cobs

Pick a Middle East nation, you'll have the same cons being flung at you. The conditions were always going to be against playing there, which is why it same as a "shock" that they won the bid.

Be honest, running about for 90 minutes in July, where would you feel better doing it - Australia, America (and they had real issues in 94), Japan, South Korea or Qatar?

I agree with you. If the question is "isn't it miles too f*ckin hot?", then I'll find my post from when I went. It was only after seeing the facilities that they already have, and knowing the financial backing it will get, and appreciating that what we have here is a global public sector investment project rather than a corporate gobbling off of football that my head turned. It'll be unusual as it won't be 'one for the lads', it'll likely be a family affair cos families will do Dubai and the like these days and no bother. It'll be weird and then it'll go back the way it was, probably.

They know it's hot but they're loaded. They'll spend billions to deal with it. Better them spending billions on that and the money flies about all over the show on madcap schemes than just buying rockets and jet fighters all the while.

So, let's just see what they come up with first.

If it's all other things then you'll have to write down the rules cos I don't know what they are.

Oh, and btw, I aint earning any dough out of it, not as of yet anyway, just in case anyone was thinkin...

I'm sure once you get past the homophobia, exploitation of foreign workers and the odd human rights abuses you'd find they're a great bunch of lads

Much like the Russians :popcorn:

Much like the Russians :popcorn:

can't criticse them without being accused of sour grapes

Good point.

FWIW dept: friends of mine who live in the arabic part of the world were a) amazed that Qatar got chosen, and b) fairly certain it was going to become a winter tournament

Just saying, like

Australia. It's winter there.

Most of us will still watch it on telly. Won't make f*** all difference except to the lads who go and I'd guess a lot of them will be well up for the madness of it. I'd be loving to see the mad stadia.

If one difference between Qatar and Australia or America is the absence of a few thousand chair chuckers then there's an upside. Already done Japan and South Korea, too soon.

I agree with you. If the question is "isn't it miles too f*ckin hot?", then I'll find my post from when I went. It was only after seeing the facilities that they already have, and knowing the financial backing it will get, and appreciating that what we have here is a global public sector investment project rather than a corporate gobbling off of football that my head turned. It'll be unusual as it won't be 'one for the lads', it'll likely be a family affair cos families will do Dubai and the like these days and no bother. It'll be weird and then it'll go back the way it was, probably.

They know it's hot but they're loaded. They'll spend billions to deal with it. Better them spending billions on that and the money flies about all over the show on madcap schemes than just buying rockets and jet fighters all the while.

So, let's just see what they come up with first.

If it's all other things then you'll have to write down the rules cos I don't know what they are.

Oh, and btw, I aint earning any dough out of it, not as of yet anyway, just in case anyone was thinkin...

What would you say if the British Government (on the whim of David Cameron) won a sporting event that they were going to spend GBP50,000 per capita on building stadiums alone and then dismantle them afterwards and ship them off to Africa?

Most of us will still watch it on telly. Won't make f*** all difference except to the lads who go and I'd guess a lot of them will be well up for the madness of it. I'd be loving to see the mad stadia.

If one difference between Qatar and Australia or America is the absence of a few thousand chair chuckers then there's an upside. Already done Japan and South Korea, too soon.

Of course we'll still watch it on the telly! It's the World Cup!

The difference is going to be on how it fecks our season(s).

I didn't realise there were so many 'countries before club' types on here!

And there was no trouble at USA 94

Boss little thread this.

How many pages by 2022 I wonders?

Edit: 2022 pages, obviously. Imagine that if we could pull it off.

Edited by Tommy Cockles

Boss little thread this.

How many pages by 2022 I wonders?

Edit: 2022 pages, obviously. Imagine that if we could pull it off.

Once it derails our first league title for 31 years watch it really go off

oh cobs why do you always have to let yourself down like this?

http://www.ynwa.tv/f...dpost&p=2970987

let myself down? get a grip, lad

"Am in Doha and I'm here to tell you that the idea of Qatar hosting this World Cup of theirs is so far off its cake it's hilarious" smithdown 16 Aug 2011

"Ok, so one mooch later I can see that it's possible if the kick offs are well after midnight and there's a slight whiff of a breeze to catch your breath on." smithdown 16th August 2011

"But maybe, fair's fair. Once in a while the spectators have to adjust to a different environment and appreciate the achievements of their desert-dwelling brothers and enjoy the good fortune of all that gas and oil they've gone and found, by whizzing about in fancy tube trains from airport to hotel to watching footy in air-conditioned grounds and large cooled arenas.

I think it's a goer. I think I've decided" smithdown 20th August 2011

and now you're all for them shifting it to their winter, f*cking our seasons up, presumably cos it's actually, y'know a bit too hot, like

let myself down? get a grip, lad

"Am in Doha and I'm here to tell you that the idea of Qatar hosting this World Cup of theirs is so far off its cake it's hilarious" smithdown 16 Aug 2011

"Ok, so one mooch later I can see that it's possible if the kick offs are well after midnight and there's a slight whiff of a breeze to catch your breath on." smithdown 16th August 2011

"But maybe, fair's fair. Once in a while the spectators have to adjust to a different environment and appreciate the achievements of their desert-dwelling brothers and enjoy the good fortune of all that gas and oil they've gone and found, by whizzing about in fancy tube trains from airport to hotel to watching footy in air-conditioned grounds and large cooled arenas.

I think it's a goer. I think I've decided" smithdown 20th August 2011

and now you're all for them shifting it to their winter, f*cking our seasons up, presumably cos it's actually, y'know a bit too hot, like

"Tbf though, move it to January, play in the early hours - that'd be ideal but they won't be allowed."

grip that, sunshine

"Tbf though, move it to January, play in the early hours - that'd be ideal but they won't be allowed."

grip that, sunshine

which proves what? Nothing, that's what.

You've said they could pull this off - they've no intention of pulling it off, they won the bid on a massive lie, (and a lot of money) ! And you're here lapping it all up.

Get a grip of that.

which proves what? Nothing, that's what.

You've said they could pull this off - they've no intention of pulling it off, they won the bid on a massive lie, (and a lot of money) ! And you're here lapping it all up.

Get a grip of that.

why are you so angry about this?

so very angry