Sign in to follow this  
New York Red

The 2022 World Cup

Qatar are ranked 98th in World Football currently. There was only 82 entrants for the last winter Olympics, which means Hampshire, even if ranked at 83 (and i reckon they'd give Bermuda a run for their money) would be better placed as hosts

Qatar are ranked 98th in World Football currently. There was only 82 entrants for the last winter Olympics, which means Hampshire, even if ranked at 83 (and i reckon they'd give Bermuda a run for their money) would be better placed as hosts

You've seen Cool Runnings, right? Don't underestimate the Carribean contingent

yeah but think about having loads of German, Dutch, English, Polish fans all in a place the size of a city, the footy will be the second most entertaining spectacle

not a problem in Hampshire - stick all the hooligans on the Isle of Wight. Arm them to the teeth. Last man standing wins.

And it's my idea so now, who wants to start the TV bidding for that?

tournament lasts a month, the squads will want at least 2 weeks beforehand - so a minimum of 7 weeks have to be created from somewhere

That'll be why I said January and February. Totalling 59 days or eight and a bit weeks.

That'll be why I said January and February. Totalling 59 days or eight and a bit weeks.

and then there's the countries that want a winter break - so that's another couple of weeks

which means starting the season in July 2021 (so the 2020 season needs to start & finish earleir too) and ending it in June 2022, so starting 2022-3 in September?

All in all buggering about with 3 seasons of European football for the sake of a country with no football history whatsoever - but they do have a stack of cash :woohoo:

It's a disgrace, a travesty. Proper, nailed-on CORRUPTION.

and then there's the countries that want a winter break - so that's another couple of weeks

which means starting the season in July 2021 (so the 2020 season needs to start & finish earleir too) and ending it in June 2022, so starting 2022-3 in September?

All in all buggering about with 3 seasons of European football for the sake of a country with no football history whatsoever - but they do have a stack of cash :woohoo:

It's a disgrace, a travesty. Proper, nailed-on CORRUPTION.

Do you think there'll ever be a case for European leagues having to make do in order to have a World Cup somewhere else? Cos that seems a bit mean of us here, tbh.

Do you think there'll ever be a case for European leagues having to make do in order to have a World Cup somewhere else? Cos that seems a bit mean of us here, tbh.

World Cups happen elsewhere, Smithers - been going on for 80+ years - they always take place in June/July

bit mean to shift established football calendars the World over to accomodate a country that's got the tournament on a bid of promising to host it during those months and then them telling everyone a few years down the line 'actually there's a chance it might be 120degrees for every match, with 90+% humidity rendering the whole tournament a complete farce - we'd forgot about that, let's change it to January!'

I get you, I just think we can cope with a change.

Dunkirk spirit! Stuff upper lip, what!

Of course we'll cope. It'll just f*ck up a season or two. Small price to pay to bring the second largest sporting event on the planet to the game's spiritual home!

I get you, I just think we can cope with a change.

Smithy, he's pointing out that the bid was made on one premis (summer tournament) and that very premis is now being talked about as unworkable, causing a shift in the footie calendar.

It was said at the time this would happen, and it was said at the time that Quatar was the least suitable bid but Fifa did it's usual and listened to the money (under the guise of 'spreading the football message). It's like no one knew it got hot in the Middle East in June and July, and they've just noticed. Or that it never used to be hot there in the summer but climate change has kicked in with alarming speed.

Fifa followed the cash, knowing full well things would have to be moved - but figured they'd get away with it. And they probably will.

That's the issue.

Know where else has never held a world cup and is a young league structure trying to make a name for itself? Australia. And China. Both would be better options, in climate terms, than the desert.

Dunkirk spirit! Stuff upper lip, what!

Of course we'll cope. It'll just f*ck up a season or two. Small price to pay to bring the second largest sporting event on the planet to the game's spiritual home!

It's their sport too, like. They should get a go at some point, now they can afford it.

Small price to pay to bring the second largest sporting event on the planet to the game's spiritual home!

:D

It's their sport too, like. They should get a go at some point, now they can afford it.

you think they've paid their dues to the game?

How about the stadiums that will be dismantled and donated?

How about the big blimps floating about to provide shade?

How about the gay community having to shut up when they are there?

How about the beer situation?

How about the air conditioned stadiums?

How about the environmentally friendly stadium construction?

How about the promise of a summer World Cup as usual?

NONE of it will get done. Not that I really care to be honest, but what I do care immensely about is how it will completely f*ck up the football calender globally for a few years. Just to feed FIFA's corruption?

I hope the clubs all get together and tell them to do one. Completely devalue the competition.

they've paid the right people so they will get whatever they want.

it's just a bit of fluff

you think they've paid their dues to the game?

What would that entail?

I'm not sure how you'd say that Qatar hasn't but South Africa has, for example.

Edited by smithdown

What would that entail?

I'm not sure how you'd say that Qatar hasn't but South Africa has, for example.

South Africa could be said to have done their bit in encouraging integration, given they were quicker than the Springboks to have black players. There's also the factor of hosting more than one ACN. Oh, and has Cobs pointed out, they've qualified for a tournament or two

actually qualifying for a World Cup, maybe?

Ah, right.

Well Saudi have and so has Kuwait. Would it meet your approval if it was held there? I reckon there's other criteria when it comes to dues "paid to the game", tbh.

South Africa could be said to have done their bit in encouraging integration, given they were quicker than the Springboks to have black players. There's also the factor of hosting more than one ACN. Oh, and has Cobs pointed out, they've qualified for a tournament or two

Qatar has staged regional competitions too.

I doubt people would see a tournament staged in Kuwait any differently, tbh.