By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Lucas & Meireles

fred milne

I doubt that the original plan was to partner them together but these things happen in football and the important point is to recognise it when you've stumbled on something that works.

Its early days but Lucas and Meireles is starting to look like a proper CM pairing. One that's greater than the sum of its parts. Both are mobile, have good technique and have trust in each other's ability to receive the ball under pressure. Lucas in particular looks like he's moved onto another level as a player.

If they keep this up, then when he's fit again I'd be tempted to use Gerrard on right instead of Kuyt and leave the other three midfielders alone. Torres and AN Other up front (probably Babel if it was up to me.)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's exactly (almost word for word) what Richardson et al were talking about in the Guardian Footy podcast the other day.

Effectively saying that they're a more 'stable' partnership in the center of midfield (which Woy's a fan of), where as Gerrard's more of a 'bursty' player, which is unpredictable.. which Woy is NOT a fan of. They reckon he'll shift Gerrard out to the right even though it's not his preferred position and play Dirk upfront with Torres.

It's exactly (almost word for word) what Richardson et al were talking about in the Guardian Footy podcast the other day.

Effectively saying that they're a more 'stable' partnership in the center of midfield (which Woy's a fan of), where as Gerrard's more of a 'bursty' player, which is unpredictable.. which Woy is NOT a fan of. They reckon he'll shift Gerrard out to the right even though it's not his preferred position and play Dirk upfront with Torres.

He singled them out for praise in his post-match interview.

Gerrard should be playing off Torres. It's his best postion, despite what Keyes, Gray and Redknapp contest.

Aye. Maxi left, Kuyt right, Torres up front with Gerrard off him.

Meireles looked really promising last night I thought. Like he's starting to get to grips with the physical stuff.

:lol:

I'm made up for Lucas, hes taken a lot of flack over the last couple of years but now its like a weight has been lifted from his shoulders this season, his passing esp the ball for Ryan was superb last night

But then he was a Rafa signing and hence is part of the 'mess' that was left behind by Rafa :bleh:

really, which idiot actually said that?

He got a 7 in the match ratings. Same as Konchesky and Luke Young.

LIVERPOOL

Pepe Reina 8

Paul Konchesky 7

Sotirios Kyrgiakos 8

Martin Skrtel 8

Glen Johnson 8

Maxi Rodriguez 8

Lucas 7

Raul Meireles 9

Dirk Kuyt 8

Ryan Babel 8

David N'Gog 8

reckon spearing and shelvey might have given villa's central midfield the run around last night. nonetheless lucas and merieles looks our best combination.

think we could do lots of different things at anfield and look decent doing them, especially against half the rubbish this year's league's turning out. issues have always been away from home. and on that front we don't look any better off.

Edited by yellow jumper