Our leftbacks since Nicol

Earl Hafler

What's been the problem ? Souness selling Staunton was criminal when you look at Burrows ad Dicks but we seem to be in a constant struggle to find a leftback who matches the quality of our other defenders.

The aformentioned Dicks and Burrows were shocking, Stig was pretty good going forward and capable of a decent cross, Harkness was lower league standard.

Riise has a couple of good seasons, one of which i think his better games were at left midfield, but i think he got away with some poor defensive displays because of his freekicks and goals.

Right back has been the position Bob Wright could have written a dissertation on regarding curses and injuries. Rob Jones looked to be the next Steve Nicol but injuries cut short his career. Heggem, too, was plagued with injuries but looked lethal going forward. Babbel's year at right back during the treble season was just about as good as it gets but the curse struck again.

Personally, i think Rafa should promote Insua to first choice leftback and use him as much as possible to help his progression. Aurelio could be used as back up / rotation and Dossena sold back to Italy to help raise funds for the creative player we need in attack.

I'm not convinced by Arbeloa at right back and Angelina Jolie has been to Anfield more times than Degen has. With both Skrtel and Agger in the squad i think there's a case for asking Carra to switch to right back.