By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Summer Spending

Big E

How much will Rafa be given to spend?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. How much will Rafa be given to spend? In addition to player sales.

• £0-5m
    • £5-10m
    • £10-15m
    • £15-20m
    • £20-25m
    • £30-35m
    • £35m+

This poll is closed to new votes

There's clearly a lot of speculation about transfers at the moment, but one of the main issues I see is the uncertainly of how much Rafa will be given to spend by the yanks.

Personally, I think it will be £20m plus whatever we make from player sales (which I hope will pay for Barry, Dossena and have £10m+ spare). That should be enough for 1 top drawer signing at least. What do you reckon?

I don't want to hijack the transfer thread, this is more about the 'Warchest' :)

Edited by Big E

There's clearly a lot of speculation about transfers at the moment, but one of the main issues I see is the uncertainly of how much Rafa will be given to spend by the yanks.

Personally, I think it will be £20m plus whatever we make from player sales (which I hope will pay for Barry, Dossena and have £10m+ spare). That should be enough for 1 top drawer signing at least. What do you reckon?

I don't want to hijack the transfer thread, this is more about the 'Warchest' :)

I agree with you, I think Rafa will get the money from player sales and something extra on top.

How much do you think we'll make from player sales ?

Crouch £10m Riise £5m Alonso £14m Guthrie £1m

Thats £30m there, before we think about Carson and Pennant.

So a 50m warchest ? Barry and Dossena adds up to what, £22m ?

The way I see it is probably the normal roughly £20m, then whatever we get on sales. Initially thought this would not be enough for our rebuilding, but with some possible clever swaps (or at least deals covering the costs of the players we bring in), we might be able ot do something significant...

Degen = no fee

Dossena = Riise + Pennent / Guthrie / Finnan (roughly)

Barry = Crouch + Carson

Alonso = £15m which can be put on top of the £15 - 20m I'd expect the clowns in charge to give us (maybe thats the problem).

Now if we can use that to attract the likes of at least one of say Villa / Quaresma / Aguero etc and maybe pick up a cheap sub goalie (Taylor or Rame) I'd say Rafa could make the push he needs in the league.

1st Team:

--------------Pepe---------

Arbeloa--Carra---Agger--Dossena

----Gerrard--Masch---Barry

V/Q/A-------Torres---Babel

Back up:

Taylor/Rame

Degen, Skirtel, Hyypia, Aurelio, Insua

Benayoun, Plessis, Lucas, Spearing, Leto

Kuyt, Voronin, Nemeth

Looks a bit lean in the midfield backup department for mine, I suppose Kuyt is interchangeable

I dont see us playing a 4-3-3 next year to be honest, I think the formation we are using at the moment works really well and encourages our two best players to work together, which they have shown works to great affect.

I would be happy to see us continue with our current formation and just improve the wide positions with the addition of a Quaresma type player and Babel on the other wing I think we would still be just as potent a scoring force as if we played 3 up front.

For mine the 1st team will look something like this

Pepe

Arbeloa--Carra---Agger--Dossena

Masch---Barry

Quaresma--Gerrard--Babel

Torres

It just comes down to who we can make a play at and if we have enough in the kitty to make it happen. Quaresma is a 20+mil proposition so we may have to settle for someone alittle cheaper but hey fingers crossed.

Guest Kaizer
Not Qyaresma please - not Milner or Bemtley either ideally, but please not Quaresma.

Would you like to explain why out from a footballing point of view?

Who though?

What's Mancini's contract situation? Did he sign a new one, or is he still talking about leaving?

Other than that, it's Valencia players....Capel, Silva, Villa....

I don't know who - but them I'm not a professional manager with an encyclopaedic knowledge of European footballers and an international scouting team (or Kaizer thank feck) - but just to show willing, I'd prefer Joaquin to Quaresma and he'd be about the same price - or Simao (again) if we could get him - which i doubt we could.

Is Murph busy?

Would you like to explain why out from a footballing point of view?

Yes - he's sh*t, lazy, a diver, not a great team player and has always flattered to deceive - and no - please no stats.

Edited by fyds

Who though?

What's Mancini's contract situation? Did he sign a new one, or is he still talking about leaving?

Other than that, it's Valencia players....Capel, Silva, Villa....

There are more players in Europe than those in Valencia or even la Liga - who saw Skrtel or Dossena coming - or Degen? What about that lad Arshavin just for arguments sake? There are other players - just because we don't know them or they are not (yet) BIGnAmEz doesn't mean we should limit our horizons.

Yes - he's sh*t, lazy, a diver, not a great team player and has always flattered to deceive - and no - please no stats.

But he's had a good amount of assists the season before last and a decent amount last season. Ok, assists are not the only barometer for proving whether a player is selfish or not, but then atleast it gives some idea.

When i saw him (At Anfield was it?) he tracked back to their own goal and made a tackle to stop a perfect shooting chance for Kuyt, i think. Similarly, he did his defensive duties quite well in the 2 games i saw him play. Again, it could just be an anomaly but i speak only of whatever i've seen of him this season and a few appearances in the previous ones.

He's Porto's best player and is in the right stage of his career to move outside of Portugal. His move to Barca failed partly because he was too young, so his head was probably not straight and also because he had problems with his manager. Quality wasnt in question.

I'd have him here purely because of the fact that there arent many other players available for the position we want him to play and in the formation we do. And also because Porto have been kicked out of the CL, so he might want to leave to a club which offers it. We made a bid of 14 million pounds last season (apparently), so Rafa probably rates him. I'd have Quaresma at our club right now, tbh. He offers something different from what Kuyt does and would be quite useful in a lot of games and would do well under a good manager.

Edited by carrafan

There are more players in Europe than those in Valencia or even la Liga - who saw Skrtel or Dossena coming - or Degen? What about that lad Arshavin just for arguments sake? There are other players - just because we don't know them or they are not (yet) BIGnAmEz doesn't mean we should limit our horizons.

I'd agree - but it's much easier for a solid young defender to stay under the radar - attacking talent tends to hit the headlines instantly.

Simao, maybe - aye. Whatever happened to Marek Mintal?

Guest Kaizer

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong and once more wrong.

The more pressing question shouldn't be what will they give us, but what can they afford to give us.

In the current climate then afford is a very loose word..

They could justify a large transfer budget and project the increase in income a more successful team will have on the books. It’s a business – its not like anyone actually puts their hands in their pockets and gives out cash to the manager anymore.

Unless your manager is…………………. (fill out your own choice here)

Oh – and why is that a pressing question? Who is asking whom and why such anyone give out answers?