By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Changing the team you support (as an adult)

Arguments, stick, slagging, reasonableness, logic, history, philosophy, debate, violence, threats. None of these have ever succeeded in changing the mind of a single football fan from one team to another (that I've met). Unless you know different.

The only thing I've heard of that worked a few times was taking fans of opposing teams onto The Kop on a European night, never experienced it first hand though.

A guy who lived over the road from me when I was a nipper was a staunch Red. Went home and away, went to all the major finals at least from 74-85 and so on.

However his son at the age of six decided that his football team was going to be Everton. The fella took him to see both as he asked to go and see both but when the kid decided that he wanted to support Everton, his dad's allegiance changed overnight. This is a fella who went everywhere with Liverpool, luckily for me he got me programmes from Paris & Rome, but in the blink of an eye became a solid Blue.

Funnily enough I saw him not so long back, still as staunch a Blue as he's ever been.

I know of four

Leeds to Spurs

Liverpool to Spurs

Notts Forest to Liverpool

Luton to Liverpool to Man Utd to Luton.

edit - the Forest to Liverpool one may have been when he was a teenager.

Edited by Boca

What about if a close member of family or a best mate was a player? What would you do then?

I'm guessing you'd still have an allegiance to your 'original' team from birth, and go to see them when there's no clash, but if you're going home and away to watch the player you'd have to learn to love the player's team I reckon?

A lad from my school is a player has his Dad & Brother watch basically every game he's ever played, and that's covered 3 clubs, including the one they all grew up supporting.

I wonder where their real allegiance would lie?

You can divorce your wife but not your football team.

My dad managed both. :lol: He changed sides in our local derby. Probably because of me, that I supported their rivals and he had to accompany me for the games, when I was a small boy.

Late eighties, aged about Twenty, mate of mine, changed from Sheff Wed to the Mancs. To this day no one lets him forget.

They're great those guys, especially the really 'full on' fans. I know a Chelsea lad, never misses, f*cking hates it when people ask him why he stopped watching QPR?

Late eighties, aged about Twenty, mate of mine, changed from Sheff Wed to the Mancs. To this day no one lets him forget.

Michael Vaughn did that as well didn't he?

I know a few people who changed from other clubs (wycombe, Brentford) to Portsmouth when my old company relocated from Surrey to Hampshire