By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Positive piece about us

downunder

"They are the team that Fabio Capello, the England manager, would like to have: a classic leader of the line, a solid centre, pace and wit on the flanks and Gerrard playing as he does for, well, Liverpool."

???

Who's that referring to? Babel might have pace, but he seems to have a serious shortage of wit.

"They are the team that Fabio Capello, the England manager, would like to have: a classic leader of the line, a solid centre, pace and wit on the flanks and Gerrard playing as he does for, well, Liverpool."

???

Who's that referring to? Babel might have pace, but he seems to have a serious shortage of wit.

I'd say you were wrong about that, some of Babel's play is superb. He's not making all the right choices in games just yet but in time I'm certain that will come.

We've had some pace merchants at the club without any of Babel's 'wit', for me he stands heada and shoulders above the likes of Ciise or Bellamy and in his first season at the club he has shown some flashes of great ability.

I'll be very suprised if Babel's not one of the very best players in the league in years to come.

Babel's taken over the frustrating tag previously reserved for Garcia. We've had glimpses of what he can do, but only glimpses.

Don't get me wrong, I love Babel as a player the same way I loved Garcia. These type of players are always frustrating and will always have days when those little pieces of skill just don't come off, but next season they'll be no more "lots of potential style" excuses for Babel and it will be time for him to show a bit more consistency as a goal threat, by way of assists or goals, for that is what he's here to do.

Re: the article.

It was a good piece, but doesn't tell us anything many of us have known for years, that is, we're only a few players away from "greatness".

I don't even want to contemplate the "doomsday scenario" the author mentions, my only worry, as I've previously posted, is that the boardroom "mess" will seriously affect Rafa's ability to improve the squad in the closed season, effectively putting us back another season or two in terms of a title challenge.

Edited by Red

???

Does Kuyt have more wit than Babel?

???

Babel is pace, Kuyt is wit.

If you could combine the two, we'd be laughing.

Babel's taken over the frustrating tag previously reserved for Garcia. We've had glimpses of what he can do, but only glimpses.

Don't get me wrong, I love Babel as a player the same way I loved Garcia. These type of players are always frustrating and will always have days when those little pieces of skill just don't come off, but next season they'll be no more "lots of potential style" excuses for Babel and it will be time for him to show a bit more consistency as a goal threat, by way of assists or goals, for that is what he's here to do.

Babel has the potential to be a much better player than Garcia.

Feeling a bit more optimistic about tonight's game now......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Arsenal-Liverpool game is the big one

By Myles Palmer

Liverpool are without Kenny Dalglish tonight

And that gives Arsenal a chance.

Kenny is 57 now and will not be partnering Fernando Torres.

If it had been Dalglish & Torres, forget it.

Stevie G is playing in a new role. Rafa has taken over three years to find this format : two Dutchmen wide and two goalscorers, Torres and Gerrard, linking with each other.

There are three games against Liverpool and I've been thinking about them for two weeks.

The most important game is the first one. Whever you have four massive games coming up, the first one is the biggest. If Arsenal lose it, they will concentrate on the league. If they lose tonight, they will focus 100% on Saturday's league game at the Emirates. Also, any player injured in tonight's game could miss the next two games. Any player from either side could miss the next two games. And any player sent off tonight will miss Tuesday's second leg at Anfield.

The good news is that Babel and Kuyt are useless. They should not hurt Arsenal. Babel will swerve inside Toure and shoot wide. And while Stevie G is a very powerful gladiator with big feet who can bang a shot into the net from 25 yards, I've got a funny feeling this will not be one of his glory nights.

So Liverpool have only one player : Torres.

As regular readers will know, I've said from day one that Torres is the real deal, an alpha-male warrior with considerable artistry, a kid who puts his foot in, has a lovely repertoire of dribble-and-shoot moves, a guy who can win knockdowns, head goals, play on his own, provide assists, do everything. He has a brain and a career and he's very competitive. He ticks all the boxes. He left Atletico Madrid to play Champions League football. He is especially good at scoring in five minutes, 10 minutes, 12 minutes. He is hot, in form, dangerous, a world class assassin.

But Torres has been carrying a hamstring and came off limping when Spain played Italy last week.

He will not play all three games. It's likely that he will be rested on Saturday. Wait and see on that one.

Liverpool played Everton on Sunday, a garbage game that I half-watched while reading Saturday's Guardian book reviews.

Arsenal played Bolton on Saturday, so they have had one more day to recover. That day should give them extra zest and allow them to last longer in the game.

There is one other player who is a threat to Arsenal. If he comes on, or starts in any of the games, it will be a worry for Gooners. I'm talking about Peter Crouch. He can take Arsenal apart. Babel can't, Kuyt can't, Benayoun can't. But Crouch can.

It's a big game and I'm up for it. I'm really glad Kenny D isn't playing because he was a lot better than Stevie G.

Kenny was different class. Kenny was the best British footballer of his generation by a mile.

Last week I didn't think Arsenal would win anything this season. I still don't. But we shall see. I didn't think they would win from 2-0 down at Bolton with 10 men. The truth is on the pitch, as PV4 used to say.

Arsene has urge dhis boys to lay on a spectacle but that looks unlikely. Get ready for a night of tension : Liverpool's stubborn shape against Arsenal's patient passing.

http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/index.p...nt01returnid=42

Guest Prongsy

Babel is about 6 years old, started only 24 games, scored 8 goals, in a new league, with a new team and in a new country. He needs a couple of years, just like Ronaldo did.

He's a special talent, he won't always be frustrating as you suggest. He's the next Henry, I tells ya.

Guest Anders Honoré

I am not entirely convinced by Babel yet. Don't think I've never seen anyone with so much raw ability be so raw and unpolished.