By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Here's one for you

Knox_Harrington

Agree with that (and he keeps him on because he can bang one at any time) but if we had genuine quality wide right then he'll be used up top. I'd have Garcia ahead of Defoe (for example) but I wonder if Rafa would have the more out-and-out forward.

We're in a situation where we need 22 class acts to challenge Chelsea. I'm sceptical as to whether or not we can afford to build that squad without selling a player like Garcia.

I think if someone came in with a strong enough bid then Rafa might be tempted to ' sacrifice ' Garcia's qualities but i think he's valued more by us than he would be by other clubs, save one or two in Spain.

If we had to sell him to bring in someone like Wright-Phillips then maybe but i think enough money will be raised through our exploits this season, transfer sales and the usual £15-20m given to a manager in the summer to keep the idea of selling Garcia to the underworld of Tribal Football and other rumour mongers.

I would consider selling Garcia. Don't get me wrong, there are many players we need to let go before him. But Garcia could be a useful player to have to land a bigger Spanish fish (say a Torres or Villa?) By the same reasoning, Morientes might be sold too. Guess it all depends, but Luis and Nando would both be attractive to various Spanish teams, so we'd have to see what may come.

I think we need one striker to replace Cisse. In many ways Nando could be replaced by Fowler. (Robbie has all the skill and link up play of Nando but has more of a goal threat too. Not quite as good in the air, but Nando has hardly been banging the headers in has he?) Crouch stays. Then Pongo stays, and Kewell can also do a good job up front if needed (especially if Gonzales does well on the left).

We need a right midfielder. I think Pennant is our man personally, and £5-6M should do the trick.

Sell, flog, give away on freebies, beg clubs to take 'em from us - fit each description to each player ;) :

Cisse

Kirkland

Traore

Warnock

Le Tallec

Mellor

Potter

Whitbread

Diao

Dudek

Cheyrou (is he still our player??? Cant remember)

It's gonna be a busy summer trying to get rid of players who have little or no future here, simply cos they ain't good enough or just don't fit in, without selling players who are good enough!

I'd agree with that list and getting about 15m in return (some are obvious free's) add this to about the usual 15m summer kitty, and I think this would be enough to get a pacy Right wing, a pacy striker, a left back, and maybe a central mid.

My Guesses:

Baines LB 4-5 million

Pennant 5-6 million

Defoe/Owen 12 million

Nolan / Goal scoring Mid - Limited to 8 million

These players added to what we already have would have us challenging, I feel.

Garcia is a cracking player. I can't see him being sold unless someone much better becomes available.

He's struggled a bit this season but:

a. foreign players sometimes do worse in their second season because they lose their surprise value as opposing teams work them out;

b. he's been injured;

c. he still scores goals;

d. we play better with him in the team;

e. he's earned some f***ing loyalty.

It's rare for any player as useful as Garcia to be shipped out after two seasons I think. After two seasons they've either adapted or not. Those who don't adapt leave (Cheyrou, Josemi, Cisse?). Those who adapt adequately (and are happy at this level) stay as squad players for a bit (Smicer, Dudek, Pongolle). Those who adapt brilliantly hopefully never leave (Hyypia, Hamman, Alonso?). I think Garcia is at the level of someone like Riise: first XI more often than not, but not an ever-present.

Edited by nd

I'm sure there is a long list of players that will leave, and if garcia is on it, I am sure he is after players like Moro No goal, Cissy, Dudek and Traore. In fact, Cheyrou, Le Tallec, Pongo, Mellor, Potter are still on our books too.

no, I think garcia is at threat when some of the younger players are biting at his heels.

The problem with selling Luis is that Rafa has built a functional team which operates effectively and efficiently but can sometimes be a bit predictable going forward. In comparison with our rivals we lack flair in the final third, not many of our forwards can beat a man with trickery or guile.

Garcia is one of the few players in our squad who can unlock a defence with an unpredictable move or piece of skill. If we sell him the offensive options for the coach will be reduced and we may become an easier team for opposition managers to nullify.

I agree with Knox's assessment of where we need strengthening and his point regarding generating transfer funds. However if Luis is sold I still think we'll need to replace his qualities within the squad. If we can find a goal scoring forward who is equally at home dropping off and running at defenders then perhaps we can afford to let Garcia go but those players are hard to find and tend to be expensive. I hoped Sinama might step up in this regard as he has good ability on the ball.

Garcia's last couple of games have been dissappointing but I know when the home leg against Benfica arrives with the prospect of a massed defence to overcome Garcia will be one of the players the manager will trust to break the opposing system. Take him out of the equation and we look a predictable and formulaic attacking force.

The problem with selling Luis is that Rafa has built a functional team which operates effectively and efficiently but can sometimes be a bit predictable going forward. In comparison with our rivals we lack flair in the final third, not many of our forwards can beat a man with trickery or guile.

Garcia is one of the few players in our squad who can unlock a defence with an unpredictable move or piece of skill. If we sell him the offensive options for the coach will be reduced and we may become an easier team for opposition managers to nullify.

I agree with Knox's assessment of where we need strengthening and his point regarding generating transfer funds. However if Luis is sold I still think we'll need to replace his qualities within the squad. If we can find a goal scoring forward who is equally at home dropping off and running at defenders then perhaps we can afford to let Garcia go but those players are hard to find and tend to be expensive. I hoped Sinama might step up in this regard as he has good ability on the ball.

Garcia's last couple of games have been dissappointing but I know when the home leg against Benfica arrives with the prospect of a massed defence to overcome Garcia will be one of the players the manager will trust to break the opposing system. Take him out of the equation and we look a predictable and formulaic attacking force.

As I keep saying, I hope we don't sell him. I'd happily go into next season with him as an option up top off Morientes/new lad or Crouch along with Owen and Fowler. But if we are to challenge next season I just think we will have to spend a little more extravagently than normal. Buying final third players is always more expensive and arguably more difficult.

We look a side without intelligent movement when he doesn't play as well as arguably being a side without a quality goalscorer who can both get into the positions and put the ball in (Fowler tinted specs off please folks). However if we were to sign two of those players (Owen/Defoe) as well a quality wide right and Gonzalez who can get behind teams then we would be less reliant on him. This pragmatic approach may well be the one that's taken. I say this as someone who rates Garcia as a far better player than Defoe.

What I would disagree with in the above Armin is that Garcia is adept at running at defenders. While his anticipation, movement and desire for the ball is second to none I rarely see him beat his man (United last week was an oddity) in a one-on-one situation. He can open up defences with his eye for a clever ball or with his running without the ball but rarely with it. That is our biggest flaw currently. Outside of Kewell and Gerrard we have no one who can carry the ball in behind teams; it's that which Benitez needs to correct before next August and that need which I think could be the motivation behind the pragmatic decision to move Garcia on.

Yeah, let's sell one of the (few) players who can score for us.

Fair point.

We played some great football with Kewell just off Owen and Kewell had a good partnership with bridges. And Arsenal until Adebayor didn't have a target man and even then long term i think they will go with RvP and Henry. Even though I thinkcrouch is good enough we can use him as and when we need him. He doesn't have to be our a,b,c,d and e plan.

He doesn't have to be but you need players who can retain possession up front and can win things aerially. By playing Kewell as your main forward and having others buzz off him you take him away from his two best positions; being the man who buzzes round or wide left. Seems a strange decision to to that to him. For instance who on earth would want to see Kewell/Garcia up front as a partnership fron the start of a game? Anyone? While we'd all understand and perhaps even look forward to Crouch/Garcia or Morientes/Kewell etc.

Henry is, as ever, a special case. Even Barcelona though looked better the other night when Larsson came on in as a more traditional line-leader.

No problem with you thinking that Will but I'd even go so far as to say that your excellent new signature suggests that if to help build the squad we need to win the league a couple of players have to be sacrificed then they will be. Garcia is currently our most valuable expendable asset (i.e. not Reina, Carra, Alonso, Gerrard) if we keep playing this system. We know the manager is ruthless.

I think to call him expendable is ridiculous

He doesn't have to be but you need players who can retain possession up front and can win things aerially. By playing Kewell as your main forward and having others buzz off him you take him away from his two best positions; being the man who buzzes round or wide left. Seems a strange decision to to that to him. For instance who on earth would want to see Kewell/Garcia up front as a partnership fron the start of a game? Anyone? While we'd all understand and perhaps even look forward to Crouch/Garcia or Morientes/Kewell etc.

Henry is, as ever, a special case. Even Barcelona though looked better the other night when Larsson came on in as a more traditional line-leader.

I'd just view a Kewell Owen/defoe partnership in the same was as an aimar Villa relationship. I don't think it's that left of centre to be fair. I wouldn't play it in every game because i like to see crouch out there but it would be my first choice. I don't think kewell garcia is comparable to a kewell owen/defoe as the latter two can get in behind thus leaving kewell to drop off

I'd just view a Kewell Owen/defoe partnership in the same was as an aimar Villa relationship. I don't think it's that left of centre to be fair. I wouldn't play it in every game because i like to see crouch out there but it would be my first choice. I don't think kewell garcia is comparable to a kewell owen/defoe as the latter two can get in behind thus leaving kewell to drop off

Simply don't see it working in this league and it's so rare now we play a side which leaves space to get in behind through the middle. West Ham did at Anfield. Beyond that?

I think to call him expendable is ridiculous

Expendable is perhaps the wrong word, but I think everyone bar the four I named and perhaps Finnan are "available". I certainly can't imagine any side making us an offer for those five we'd accept. I can with Garcia. Of those players remaining Garcia is the one we'd get the best offer for.

Edited by Knox_Harrington

SWP

Owen

Kuyt

Sorted.

Add Victor on a free as cover for RW and if we can't get SWP there's always Pennant and if no Owen there's always Defoe. If people think we need better comptetion at LB there's always Aurelio on a free from Valencia providing he doesn't agree a new deal or Goran Gavrancic might be a cheapish option as he's playing at Dynamo Kiev. Bridge might also be available?