By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Liverpool vs Fulham

Rory Fitzgerald

Apologies, full preview not yet ready but seeing as Cobs isn't jumping the gun this time after starting the Arsenal thread (that worked out well didn't it Cobs !!), I'll get it started and add the rest when ready.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fulham's set up

If an established Premiership side were to be relegated this season, Fulham were my prediction at the start of the campaign. Of their 10 games so far this season, they have lost 6 with 3 wins and 1 draw. However, 2 of those wins were against teams even worse than themselves i.e. Palace & Sunderland. Their set up is a 4-2-3-1 type formation though in 3 of the last 5 games its been Berbatov & Bent in attack with Berbatov the deeper of the two. There has been little consistency in the team selections as there has been a high degree of rotation, even within the backline. The midfield is anchored by Scott Parker and Steve Sidwell, who is also a willing forward runner. However, some of the players in advance of midfield are hardly the most industrious with the exception of Kasami who puts in a shift from out wide. As such, the disconnect between the work rate of the 2 and the 3 in midfield causes problems for the team especially given the poor performances of the back line - both individually & collectively - so far this season.

Fulham's defence

Fulham have conceded 15 goals in 10 league games which is the 5th worst in the league. Whilst they put in a good shift at Chelsea earlier in the season 'only' losing 1-0 until the last 5 mins, lately teams have generally been able to comfortably play football through the likes of Ruiz, Berbatov & Bent meaning that there is no real pressure on the ball until the midfield get involved. Whilst Kasami is a willing worker, if the front players are not working as a unit, the work of one player cannot effectively counteract the opposition in that area of the pitch.

With not enough protection from the front, the back line need to be on their game. However, too often they have been blighted by individual lapses and collective disorganisation. The screenshot below is example of some poor awareness within the defensive ranks at Southampton that they ultimately got away with. In fact this screen shot is almost a mirror image of some of the balls that Gerrard whipped in against Newcastle in the 2nd half recently.

FulhamSouthampton.png

However, their luck did not last long with Amorbieta not getting close enough to Lambert at the back post allowing him to head the ball without any real challenge on the 6 yard line.

FulhamSouthamptonGoal.png

Whilst the above is an example of individual lapses, the following passage against Stoke questions the organisation of the defence but also demonstrates the lack of pressure on the ball with N'Zonzi and Ireland having the freedom to receive passes, get their head up and play horizontal passes forward. This did not lead to a goal on this occasion but its indicative of the problems that the team are having.

FulhamStokeAmorbieta.png

Below are examples of their defence against Man Utd in their most recent game. The first graphic shows some questionable positioning in part due to Richardson not receiving support from Kasami whilst the other 2 are more examples of a poorly deployed offside trap, though this time leading to goals despite getting away with it against Stoke.

FulhamUtd.png

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - and just Cobs, no-one else, just Cobs. Part of what I have to say is more insightful than everything Cobs says so I went ahead with it :popcorn:/>

and you've just made yourself look a bigger c*nt than I ever could, so fair play

--------------------Mignolet

-----Toure--------Skrtel-------Sakho

Johnson---------Lucas----------Cissokho

----------Gerrard--------Coutinho

----------Sturridge-------Suarez

If Suarez is unavailable due to having to head off for the international game then I'd go with

-----Toure--------Skrtel---------Sakho

Johnson-Henderson---Lucas---Cissokho

-------------Gerrard-----Coutinho

--------------------Sturridge

-----Toure--------Skrtel-------Sakho

Johnson---------Lucas----------Cissokho

----------Gerrard--------Coutinho

----------Sturridge-------Suarez

If Suarez is unavailable due to having to head off for the international game then I'd go with

-----Toure--------Skrtel---------Sakho

Johnson-Henderson---Lucas---Cissokho

-------------Gerrard-----Coutinho

--------------------Sturridge

what the f***