By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The New Owners? Thread

Bromage

How would he have got details of the deal?

He won't have. Sky wheel him on any time there's a story about us being bought over and he gives his expert view on the prospective buyer.

He's pointless.

All he said was the Red Sox are a good institution, not unlike Liverpool FC and pointed out - quite fairly, i must admit - that the Red Sox are a different entity to the Texas Rangers and Henry is very highly thought of.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Massively concerned. Seems very rushed, seems to have come to a head very quickly and I hope this wasn't a rush job to keep the club out of Hicks refinancing hands. The personal wealth of the new owner is a concern, we've always worked out that we need about £1bn to get everything this club and the surrounding area needs done, and that far exceeds this guys wealth.

On the plus side, the Red Sox are seemingly a well-run, well-managed club, they didn't have any problem bidding massively more for that Japanese pitcher and they're a very famous and obvious target if it all goes t*** up. Guess we'll wait for their own statement. Very cautious about getting all giddy, if the stadium has been dropped that really screws everything up, it's 2nd only to the debt being cleared.

Let's pray that these guys know what they are getting into, what is required and most of all aren't using any leverage in this. Made up the parasites are nearly crushed, but we need to see a lot of detail, plans and above all, action, before the club can feel anything like LFC again....

I don't really know anything about Baseball, but from what I've read, the Boston Red Sox are managed very well.

Sports Illustrated each year produce a list of the best and worst owners of each franchise in the major sports and has NESV as number one. But also take a look at the list of worst owners.....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/05/08/mlb.owners/index.html

Doesn't it just mean in was better than the other proposal rather than suggesting any shortcomings?

I think they are saying it was the best for the club not the one offering the most money.

hopefully mate hopefully, it's just the last 3 years have knocked all the optimism out of me.... always expecting the bloody worse now

Here's a nice comparison for you - they went many, many years without being able to win the title (86 in fact, makes our wait sound like nothing). But over recent years have reestablished themselves as a dominant force in the game and won at least a couple of titles. They are known for having the most passionate and dedicated fans.

Oh and they came back from 3-0 down to win their most famous World Series against the Yankees...:)

Well if that post doesn't get you buzzing... :popcorn:

Time will tell, I guess. Hopefully it won't be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Fingers crossed!

Massively concerned. Seems very rushed, seems to have come to a head very quickly and I hope this wasn't a rush job to keep the club out of Hicks refinancing hands. The personal wealth of the new owner is a concern, we've always worked out that we need about £1bn to get everything this club and the surrounding area needs done, and that far exceeds this guys wealth.

On the plus side, the Red Sox are seemingly a well-run, well-managed club, they didn't have any problem bidding massively more for that Japanese pitcher and they're a very famous and obvious target if it all goes t*** up. Guess we'll wait for their own statement. Very cautious about getting all giddy, if the stadium has been dropped that really screws everything up, it's 2nd only to the debt being cleared.

It's not just him though is it? NESV are bigger than Henry.

You're right to still be unsure though. I think we all are deep down.

Although i'd say that's inevitable after the last three years.

Sky just showed a new top 10 list for wealthiest owners in Britain. Was interesting - City were the only club listed who spend ridiculous amounts. Even Chelsea have levelled off in that respect.

The QPR owner was number two behind Mansour.

Just goes to show, as a lot on her have been saying, we really don't need a sugar daddy. Just better, more honest businessmen who run things sufficiently enough so as to allow us to spend what we make, which is not unsubstantial.

I'm a little bit at a loss re: the hate for Purslow and especially Broughton. Sounds like they did what they were tasked to do. Obviously we can't judge the new owners yet, but they got the club out of the immediate danger and did it before any administration set in (Lord knows we can't afford a deduction right now). Being warm and fuzzy with the supporters isn't part of their job description. Even Purslow's famous accounting was probably just a case of him saying what he thought he had to keep things ticking over. I doubt the extra money is in his Swiss bank account right now.

We don't have to love every single person at the club.

I can understand it, dont agree with all of it. Up until this 'deal', on the surface they had nothing to show for their efforts but seemingly not doing a great job replacing the manager. There is a whole lot of other stuff too not helped by Purslow's methods or such asides as 'Sons of Strikers, giving the impression of smug and condescending city boys coming up for well paid jolly. I dont think that's likely the accurate reality, I think the situation has been a huge s*** sandwich, but they've not (CP in particular), helped themselves and it isn't just post Benitez rage.

Broughton said they've been in discussions with NESV for weeks and met them several times in England and America. I doubt it's been rushed. These seem like shrewd guys who have no doubt been doing their due diligence, unlike those mugs, who proudly stated they did very little due diligence back in 2007.

Broughton also said that discussions with potential purchasers would be done on the quiet, which has been proven to be correct.

I am a Red Sox fan of sorts (lived in Boston 6 years, so I am contractually obligated to be one - definitely my fav baseball team, it's just that I don't really like baseball). They are successful. Would be more so if the Yankees didn't spend literally 2X what any other team spent all the time, and if all of New England didn't believe that the team was cursed for 86 years. In any case, if we're run like the Red Sox there really won't be much to complain about. They typically are the 2nd or 3rd highest spenders in the league.

I'm also a Baseball fan and the Red Sox are a top team, full of tradition and respect for the fans. They have been quite successful over the last decade and their rivalry with the Yankess is the biggest in baseball.

It's not just him though is it? NESV are bigger than Henry.

You're right to still be unsure though. I think we all are deep down.

Although i'd say that's inevitable after the last three years.

Sky just showed a new top 10 list for wealthiest owners in Britain. Was interesting - City were the only club listed who spend ridiculous amounts. Even Chelsea have levelled off in that respect.

The QPR owner was number two behind Mansour.

Just goes to show, as a lot on her have been saying, we really don't need a sugar daddy. Just better, more honest businessmen who run things sufficiently enough so as to allow us to spend what we make, which is not unsubstantial.

I agree. If we're really making 40M a year in profit before interest payments, that buys a whole lot of stadium. And that number will increase once the stadium is finished.

Arsenal were skint because they had just borrowed a ton of money for the Highbury development just as the real estate market headed south. If it had just been the stadium, they'd have been ok.

Financially, I'm not concerned about his wealth. If NESV have enough to buy the club without debt, the financial picture is not a problem. The underlying business is very strong and the stadium can be funded by loans and naming rights, no problem there.

The other main concern is the culture of the club they run, ie everyone pulling in the same direction with a solid plan and the right people.

Christ, just what we need, more f***ing yanks. They probably won't be as bad as the previous owners but I still have a bad feeling about this lot. Americans have ZERO interest in 'soccer', why the f*** would owners of a baseball team be interested in us? To make them more money to fund their baseball ventures, that's why. We are certainly not out the woods yet lads, our future is still bleak.

FWIW, a guy from Four Four Two is on SSN now talking about the new football rich list.

He said Henry would enter the list in the top 20 if he came in, and added he has a history of investing heavily in the team (Red Sox) while staying away from the day-to-day running.

Ok calmed down a bit now, it's obviously not quite the end-game.

Broughton mentioned clearing "acquisition debt", I'm assuming this means the RBS loan G+H took out to buy Liverpool, i.e. the majority of the debt less G+H's loans, is this right?

Christ, just what we need, more f***ing yanks. They probably won't be as bad as the previous owners but I still have a bad feeling about this lot. Americans have ZERO interest in 'soccer', why the f*** would owners of a baseball team be interested in us? To make them more money to fund their baseball ventures, that's why. We are certainly not out the woods yet lads, our future is still bleak.

Xenophobic claptrap. We've every reason to be cautious about new owners and their intentions, but at least try and be objective.

Why would anyone want to buy the club and then not build a new stadium? I can understand if they want to but just not yet immediately (though I presume then all the planning applications have to start all over again), but surely they'd want a new stadium?

Do Red Sox share their stadium with anyone else.....?