By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The New Owners? Thread

Bromage

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How successful are the Boston Red Socks?

I read somewhere that they are a well-run club, and that the fans really like the owners. But are they challenging for titles?

EDIT: Just checked Wikipedia, and it seems they've won the World Series twice since NESV bought the club in 2002.

Edited by Eiler99

I read somewhere that they are a well-run club, and that the fans really like the owners. But are they challenging for titles?

I am a Red Sox fan of sorts (lived in Boston 6 years, so I am contractually obligated to be one - definitely my fav baseball team, it's just that I don't really like baseball). They are successful. Would be more so if the Yankees didn't spend literally 2X what any other team spent all the time, and if all of New England didn't believe that the team was cursed for 86 years. In any case, if we're run like the Red Sox there really won't be much to complain about. They typically are the 2nd or 3rd highest spenders in the league.

No wonder they're trying to block the sale. It's a dream scenario for us from the point of view that if it is £300 million, not only will they walk away with nowt, they are down on their £140 million Kop loan as well.

Absolutely dream result if it goes through from the point of view of sticking it to cancer and aids.

Here's a nice comparison for you - they went many, many years without being able to win the title (86 in fact, makes our wait sound like nothing). But over recent years have reestablished themselves as a dominant force in the game and won at least a couple of titles. They are known for having the most passionate and dedicated fans.

Oh and they came back from 3-0 down to win their most famous World Series against the Yankees...:)

Edited by Leo No.8

Broughton has to be sure Hicks' legal challenge will fail, in order to release that statement. Surely.

Hopefully his criteria for new owners will prove much more stringent than Moores and Parry.

Sky Sports News really are awful. They've been talking about the deal since I got up but they don't actually say anything.

Oh, Tom Cannon is on now. He says it's a good deal.

Call it off, call it off...

Only the following to deal with now:-

Purslow

The stadium

The squad

The manager

Fan representation

My over riding feeling is the mission is far from accomplished.

There's Hicks legal challenge to torpedo as well.

Pourslow, Hogson, the squad, the stadium

I'm waiting before cracking open the champagne as those two b******s haven't actually gone yet. Let's hope we can rescue the season.

The Board decided to accept NESV's proposal on the basis that it best met the criteria we set out originally for a suitable new owner.

That there is a bit of a worry, to me "best met" suggest that they were unable to secure all the pre-requisites initially outlined by Broughton. IMO they've dropped the commitment to a new stadium from negotiations

The Board decided to accept NESV's proposal on the basis that it best met the criteria we set out originally for a suitable new owner.

That there is a bit of a worry, to me "best met" suggest that they were unable to secure all the pre-requisites initially outlined by Broughton. IMO they've dropped the commitment to a new stadium from negotiations

I would take stability for a few more years and not worry about the stadium for now TBH.

I know it's more than just a stadium, it's the re development of Anfield too. But one step at a time.

Doesn't it just mean in was better than the other proposal rather than suggesting any shortcomings?

I think they are saying it was the best for the club not the one offering the most money.

Edited by Leo No.8

Going on the theory that NESV must be brutally aware of what they are getting involved with, there almost has to be a solid plan. Either that or the price is so good it's almost a no brainer. Suppose we'll have to wait

that's got to be correct, hasn't it? they have to be less than chancers having been made aware of the level of protest and feeling towards H&G.

roy can finally sign habib beye. :yes:

I'm a little bit at a loss re: the hate for Purslow and especially Broughton. Sounds like they did what they were tasked to do. Obviously we can't judge the new owners yet, but they got the club out of the immediate danger and did it before any administration set in (Lord knows we can't afford a deduction right now). Being warm and fuzzy with the supporters isn't part of their job description. Even Purslow's famous accounting was probably just a case of him saying what he thought he had to keep things ticking over. I doubt the extra money is in his Swiss bank account right now.

We don't have to love every single person at the club.

Edited by CaptainXabi