By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Souness' destruction of the squad

Tosh

Is there an argument, perhaps a worryingly sacrilegious one, that it may, in hindsight, have been a mistake to buy Rush back?

I think there's a case for saying that. He was never the same player again after Juve, although still a very good one, and a perfect balance did get a bit unbalanced.

Still, I'm glad he did, because seeing the news break (totally out of the blue) on Ceefax that we'd re-signed Rushie was the biggest buzz I've ever had as a Liverpool supporter outside of winning trophies. There was no forewarning of it. Like Christmas day suddenly being sprung on you.

Is there an argument, perhaps a worryingly sacrilegious one, that it may, in hindsight, have been a mistake to buy Rush back?

There may be. It felt to me at the time that Rush was part of the family, and if he wasn't happy in Italy, it was obvious that he should come back home.

Of course, we were probably overly sentimental as a club right up until G&H came in, and now 'we' have become utterly ruthless uber-c****.

There may be. It felt to me at the time that Rush was part of the family, and if he wasn't happy in Italy, it was obvious that he should come back home.

Of course, we were probably overly sentimental as a club right up until G&H came in, and now 'we' have become utterly ruthless uber-c****.

If we were ruthless in a constructive on pitch way then I'd be made up.

Just as a point, Rush was a British record signing when he came back I think. That was a lot of money that could have gone on two or three good lads in their early twenties.

Just as a point, Rush was a British record signing when he came back I think. That was a lot of money that could have gone on two or three good lads in their early twenties.

but then where would Rushie have gone?

anyway, Kenny stays into the 90s and we sign plenty of good lads in their early twenties.

I don't think Paisley was particularly. The likes of Cally, Hughes etc were moved on as soon as he sensed they were starting to wane.

I don't think Paisley was particularly. The likes of Cally, Hughes etc were moved on as soon as he sensed they were starting to wane.

no critiscism of our great managers was intended.

the Liverpool Way worked brilliantly for a long time. I was talking about the failure to adapt to the era of the c*** really (1990 onwards).

but then where would Rushie have gone?

anyway, Kenny stays into the 90s and we sign plenty of good lads in their early twenties.

He was on the verge of joining Man U, had wages, signing on fee agreed etc.. We were supposed to sign Gary Pallister for a record fee to replace Hansen but obviously got told of Rushies agreement with the Mancs and signed him instead. If he'd have gone there we could've kept Aldo and improved our defence and Ferguson wouldn't have had a big part of his title winning team - all ifs and buts obv. ;)

Btw, before anyone kicks off with "rushie isn't like that little Welsh tw*t" bull it was Rush himself in his piece in the Echo that came out with story of him coming so close to going to OT - iirc, it was before the 4-0 the other season.

As for Souness, he made huge mistakes but everybody thought that the 3 foreigner rule in UEFA competitions was about to be introduced into the Premier league - I really think if he had had free reign on who to buy he may well have had some success with us.

Edited by The walters step over

• 8 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Watching the 4-3 game against the cartoon army just now. Spine of the team James, Ruddock, Digger on 1 leg and God. Change James and Ruddock for say a Seaman and Adam's. Midfield of Digger on 1 leg, Redknapp and Mcmanaman and Mcateer.Even changing one of Digger or Redknapp with say a Keane, Viera or even a Sherwood, someone with a bit of dig and fight and that's a title winning team. We were always one or two players away from being the real deal. Therein was the problem, too many bad boys.

Dean Saunders was s***e for us.

Kenny’s later signings were poor, and the rest were ageing. A few more below average signings by Souness and we were upper mid table. 

The current Utd decline has similarities. 

I went quite a bit the 91/2 season, pay on the gate, the Kop was half empty, and we dreadful!

On 03/04/2020 at 21:07, libero said:

Watching the 4-3 game against the cartoon army just now. Spine of the team James, Ruddock, Digger on 1 leg and God. Change James and Ruddock for say a Seaman and Adam's. Midfield of Digger on 1 leg, Redknapp and Mcmanaman and Mcateer.Even changing one of Digger or Redknapp with say a Keane, Viera or even a Sherwood, someone with a bit of dig and fight and that's a title winning team. We were always one or two players away from being the real deal. Therein was the problem, too many bad boys.

We were in for Schmeichel in 91 and Keane in 93, both under Souey. Those two signings shaped the league for decades. It would be interesting to hear Souey talk about why we (he) didn't close the deal on them.

In the window we missed out on Schmeichel we bought James. In the window we missed out on Keane we bought Clough.

Shocking that we went so long without a top class kepper.

Edited by Flight