By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Mascherano and Alonso

We have the best front two in the league, do we also have the best central midfield partnership?

Given time and space today accentuated the positive aspects of both these players; Xabi's passing was spot on, great range, right choice more often than not and a 90% accuracy rating. Mascherano's aggressive pressing, fierce tackling and marauding runs into the final third complemented this nicely.

You could label these two with not getting into the box enough and not getting enough goals but at the same time they play the way our system dictates, protecting and pulling the strings from deep with the front four given the responsibility to score with emphasis on the full backs to outnumber the opposition in wide areas. With that plan working nicely we've outscored every other team in the league so far this season.

Rather than Alonso departing as was the preliminary plan last summer, we should be focusing on building on these two as vital cogs, along with Reina, Carragher, Gerrard, Kuyt and Torres. Although I wouldn't be against any potential Barry transfer (he's rated as the fifth best player in the league according to Actim but it's a little disconcerting Agbonlahor and Berbatov are 3 and 4) it'd be on the proviso that he'd understand that he'd get roughly the number of games Lucas gets now, plus games filling in on the left. You'd hope we'd last longer in the domestic cups next season so a player who can fill 3 positions to a high standard would be a good signing.

We have the best front two in the league, do we also have the best central midfield partnership?

Given time and space today accentuated the positive aspects of both these players; Xabi's passing was spot on, great range, right choice more often than not and a 90% accuracy rating. Mascherano's aggressive pressing, fierce tackling and marauding runs into the final third complemented this nicely.

You could label these two with not getting into the box enough and not getting enough goals but at the same time they play the way our system dictates, protecting and pulling the strings from deep with the front four given the responsibility to score with emphasis on the full backs to outnumber the opposition in wide areas. With that plan working nicely we've outscored every other team in the league so far this season.

Rather than Alonso departing as was the preliminary plan last summer, we should be focusing on building on these two as vital cogs, along with Reina, Carragher, Gerrard, Kuyt and Torres. Although I wouldn't be against any potential Barry transfer (he's rated as the fifth best player in the league according to Actim but it's a little disconcerting Agbonlahor and Berbatov are 3 and 4) it'd be on the proviso that he'd understand that he'd get roughly the number of games Lucas gets now, plus games filling in on the left. You'd hope we'd last longer in the domestic cups next season so a player who can fill 3 positions to a high standard would be a good signing.

wouldn't mind Barry, he'd be excellent cover for Alonso or Mash. But it's the wide areas we need improving most

The fact that Rafa wanted to shift Alonso still baffles me. I just don't get it.

He did drop his level last season maybe thats because he was injured for parts of the season, but hes better than every at the moment and those 2 in central midfield are world class.

the reason Chelsea beat us is because they are the only team in (world?) football that can match our midfield. Mascherano and Alonso behind Gerrard is just unbelievable. The way we're playing at the moment and the results we're getting (minus Chelsea game) is the best I've seen in living memory since I was born (1988).

Toure or Keita do a lot of donkey work for the pair. So maybe you should consider them as a midfield three. :)

1) Toure/Keita, Xavi, Iniesta OR Masch, Alonso, Gerrard

I'd rather have Masch than Toure, Gerrard than Iniesta, but Xavi is probably better than Xabi. Overall i'd rather have our lot.

2) Torres vs Eto'o

Torres anyday for me, but Eto'o is also amongst the best in the world.

3)Messi & Henry vs Kuyt & Riera

Is where they really beat us.

1) Toure/Keita, Xavi, Iniesta OR Masch, Alonso, Gerrard

I'd rather have Masch than Toure, Gerrard than Iniesta, but Xavi is probably better than Xabi. Overall i'd rather have our lot.

2) Torres vs Eto'o

Torres anyday for me, but Eto'o is also amongst the best in the world.

3)Messi & Henry vs Kuyt & Riera

Is where they really beat us.

Agree, but:

Valdes, Abidal, Puyol, Pique, Alves vs Reina, Aurelio, Carra, Skrtel, Arbeloa

Is where we really beat them..

Is Xavi H really THAT good? he seems have become incredibly hyped up, not really sure whether it's justified. Some people were saying he's in top 3 in the world. Is it just a case of people trying to look smart by making out they can appreciate the less flair-y players?

Edited by Sion