By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Barcelona - Real Madrid

Twas a very good game - really enjoyed it.

Just after half time I thought that Madrid were actually going to nick it as Barca seemed to be losing a bit of belief and the crowd began to become restless but fair play to them. I thought that Drenthe played really well.

Glad Messi scored. Didn't have a great game by his standards, though the poor guy must have been pretty sore after getting booted all over the park in the 1st half. But given the treatment he received, that goal will have been all the sweeter.

He must be on painkillers most games. I honestly think he's going to burn by 27/28. No way will he be playing into his early/mid 30s.

He would have revolutionized our right side.

Alves and Aurelio on the flanks would have been brilliant. Arbeloa to step in for either when required.

So mostly Alves and Arbeloa then...I'd still take that.

He must be on painkillers most games. I honestly think he's going to burn by 27/28. No way will he be playing into his early/mid 30s.

Yeah, it's a real worry. The treatment he receives from opponants combined with those repetitive hamstring injuries are a real threat to his future. The hamstring thing in particular could be a problem for him long term. Like Michael Owen he's a slight fella who plays in a stop-start, twisty-turny way, where a lot of his explosiveness is over the first few steps. That means if the muscle is naturally weaker (which is likely given his size), and he's likely to be playing 2 games a week throughout his career (which started at 18 years old too), he's probably more likely to suffer regular problems. And while Messi is technically on another planet to Owen (who's primary weapon was always acceleration, hence the reason he's only been an Inzaghi-level poacher for the last 7-8 years, once that acceleration was taken away by injuries/weight work), and isn't solely reliant on acceleration, if Barca don't find a way to protect him he may end up only being this explosive a player for a short spell.