By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Pennant to be given 1 year contract extension

GWistooshort

Both the Liverpool Daily Post & Oliver Kay in the Times this morning are reporting that Liverpool are likely to exercise their option of extending Jermaine Pennant's contract for an extra year to prevent him leaving on a free transfer at the end of the season as he has now entered the final year of his current deal.

According to the Daily Post Rafa has "assured Pennant he won’t freeze him out" & "believes Pennant could still prove a useful squad member and has pencilled the 25-year-old in for an appearance in the Carling Cup clash against Crewe".

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverp...64375-21671031/

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle4670446.ece

According to the Daily Post Rafa has "assured Pennant he won’t freeze him out" & "believes Pennant could still prove a useful squad member and has pencilled the 25-year-old in for an appearance in the Carling Cup clash against Crewe".

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverp...64375-21671031/

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle4670446.ece

:lol:

Good old Rafa

Am I right in saying that if we want to extend Pennant's contract, Pennant actually has to agree to the extension?

Liverpool have the option to invoke a one-year extension, a course they may choose to follow to prevent Pennant walking out of the club on a free transfer at the end of the season.

Looks like it's a club option going by the above from the Post.

I hope he does come back into the squad. I'd prefer to see a bit more of Pennant and a bit less of Benayoun and Kuyt.

Credit to the guy too for just getting on with it. Not been the best few weeks for him!

Spot on with both points.

Am I right in saying that if we want to extend Pennant's contract, Pennant actually has to agree to the extension?

I believe either party can exercise that option if they want to. I know Le Tallec exercised his right to an extra year because of the wages he was on. We couldn't stop him.

I hope he does come back into the squad. I'd prefer to see a bit more of Pennant and a bit less of Benayoun and Kuyt.

Credit to the guy too for just getting on with it. Not been the best few weeks for him!

I'd prefer to see him ahead of Benayoun, just but Kuyt is definitely a better player than him. although I hope this extension is just to ensure we get more money when we flog him, he really isn't good enough to play for us.

But will we get 5 million for him after he's spent a year kicking around in training and/or with the reserves?

I reckon we should just let his contract expire and be rid of him.

We'll certainly get more than the extra money it would cost to extend his contract. A couple of million might not sound much in the grand scheme of things but it all adds up.

Apprently Jermaine Pennant is a rich man's Riera.

So they say in Spain, where Pennant is a regular topic of discussion from Las Ramblas to the orange gardens of Seville.

Was in Barcelona earlier in the year and to be honest, I was sick of hanging out at cafes and listening to the locals debate Pennant and his "cool hair".

Even the tour guide at La Sagrada Familia crow-barred him into his talk.

Good call by the club. He was going to be paid this year anyway since he didnt move on Monday.

By exercising the clause, the club believe they will sell in January or next Summer and therefore get a fee for him (instead of nothing if they didnt exercise the option)

The only risk the club runs is that no-one wants him and we have to retain him for next season. This can even be mitigated by both parties agreeing to cancel the contract next Summer.

Also, it means Pennant needs to be considered for games now so that we can get a half decent fee for him. With very limited options out wide (I mean really out wide), he is not all that bad.

Good call by the club. He was going to be paid this year anyway since he didnt move on Monday.

By exercising the clause, the club believe they will sell in January or next Summer and therefore get a fee for him (instead of nothing if they didnt exercise the option)

The only risk the club runs is that no-one wants him and we have to retain him for next season. This can even be mitigated by both parties agreeing to cancel the contract next Summer.

Also, it means Pennant needs to be considered for games now so that we can get a half decent fee for him. With very limited options out wide (I mean really out wide), he is not all that bad.

Apart from the fact that he doesnt score anywhere near enough and can barely cross the ball.

Apart from the fact that he doesnt score anywhere near enough and can barely cross the ball.

I'd rather have him wide right in a 4-4-2 than Kuyt so in that respect I've got no problem with him staying. Hopefully now he doesn't need to be frozen out he will be on the bench as an option when we need a player that will actually take a man on.