By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

jerzy dudek

Mike

It was one of those where your resistance is broken and you mentally give it up as a goal.

After the save I knew then we were going to win

even now I get nervous just thinking about that save - somehow I keep expecting it to go in!!!! once it was saved tho that was it - you just knew it was gonna happen for us!!!

funny how even thinking about it gets you all fired up again and with Keane signing all the despondency goes and once again we stand on the threshold of a new season expectant!!! in fact - every time I think we shouldn't get too carried away I remind myself of this

Reina - always winning that gloves award for clean sheets

Agger - back to form and fitness

Skrtle - 6 months under jis belt and looks immense

Carra - gonna have to get back to top form - great for us

Masch - second full season

Gerrard - nuff said

Babel - second season and prospects look good

Torres - nuff said

Keane - really think signing marks change in Rafa's attitude. This is not a signing for the future, this is the experienced ready made premiership player to make a difference now

when I look at the spine of that side and then consider we also have Alonso/Barry (take yer pick), Lucas in his second year, Kuyt with the intelligence to play Rafa's system, Dossena to bolster the full back positions etc I just think - we can actually flaming well do this!!!!

all that inspired by the sheer thought of Istanbul!!! Wow I love that night...

Chewie

i was right on top of that save in extra time. Shevchenko knew he had scored, he fuvkin' laced it,it was not a half hearted efforted from inside the six yard box, Dudek knew it was in - he dived to save it, it hit his hand as he threw it towards the ball and it flew off in the most unlikley trajectory i've ever seen. It was like for one moment given the build up too, that there was no way the ball was going into the Liverpool net- honestly it was the most incredible thing i've ever seen in my life (i'm not religious but that whole night was a weird experience)- i was right next to the shot and it was unsaveable - it was fvckin in, and even then if he had got a hand to it, it was either going inside the post or into the roof of the net , not over the fvckin' bar !!!

Miracles happen,it's mad, we assisted, but it happened.

In a night of miracles that was one of the biggest. Unreal moment.

Funnily enough I was just thinking about that save this morning (not that I don't think about Istanbul at some point most days anyway!). The trajectory of the ball was just ridiculous and we were destined to win the trophy that night. All the way through the competition though I was sure we were destined to win it - Olympiakos, Juve hitting the post, Gudjonsen's miss, to name three moments off the top of my head - was shocked at half-time that we were three-nil down because I was so sure we were fated to win it, but I never lost hope... :) Dudek you're a legend.

i was right on top of that save in extra time. Shevchenko knew he had scored, he fuvkin' laced it,it was not a half hearted efforted from inside the six yard box, Dudek knew it was in - he dived to save it, it hit his hand as he threw it towards the ball and it flew off in the most unlikley trajectory i've ever seen. It was like for one moment given the build up too, that there was no way the ball was going into the Liverpool net- honestly it was the most incredible thing i've ever seen in my life (i'm not religious but that whole night was a weird experience)- i was right next to the shot and it was unsaveable - it was fvckin in, and even then if he had got a hand to it, it was either going inside the post or into the roof of the net , not over the fvckin' bar !!!

Miracles happen,it's mad, we assisted, but it happened.

Carra, is that you?

Every now and again I YouTube that double save. Truly the most amazing bit of keeping I've ever witnessed.

i agree, i've never seen anything like it before or since. it'll never be considered a better save than gordon banks' from pele, even though it is.

It's funny - Dudek will always be the hero and remembered for that and the pens (and rightly so) but he was well shaky for large parts of the game when you watch it again

I'm always surprised by quite how much he mares it (not to take anything away from what happened in extra time)

Guest DanTheDaggerman

The best bit about that double save was Dudek's knowing nod right after it, like he knew we were going to win this.

Still don't know how that ball went directly upwards after hitting his hand.

hit the hard part of his thumb going into his palm didn't it.

its a pure instinct - as i said, he puts his hand there before shevchenko shoots. fated.

What was his penalty all about? COMPLETELY bottled it - it was something in between a chip and a shot, but not a particularly hard one...and seeing as he was going down the middle with it.

Never been the same since has he?

nah, think it finished him. you could see when he ran, well, ambled up for his penalty that his head was gone. and at chelsea he's looked a shadow of the previous player.

It's funny - Dudek will always be the hero and remembered for that and the pens (and rightly so) but he was well shaky for large parts of the game when you watch it again

I'm always surprised by quite how much he mares it (not to take anything away from what happened in extra time)

aye - he was pretty shaky in parts of the game - made a great save from a Sheva FK around the 50th min - would have been 4-0. Sheva absolutely wellied it, it was past the wall before Dudek saw it - almost past him before he reacted, but he made a great save. Then about 2 mins after 3-3, he spilled a routine low-cross around the middle of the box & one of the Milan players finished it off, only to see the back-pedaling Traore clear it off the line at the post.

Memories of Dudek in that Final are tainted by what happened at the end - a bit like the 1989 FACF is remembered as a classic, when really the 90 mins were pretty dull.

That said - thank feck for Jerzy. I won't hear a bad word against him