By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Can anyone challenge the top 4 this forthcoming season?

Because all i read on that villatalk website is how they're going to over-take us next season, they're on the up, etc...

Is it just me, or are Villa a lot further off breaking into 4th than their fans or certain parts of the footballing world may think?

At the moment their squad, if you get rid of Barry, looks like this.

3 DF Wilfred Bouma

5 DF Martin Laursen

7 MF Ashley Young

9 FW Marlon Harewood

10 FW John Carew

11 FW Gabriel Agbonlahor

13 GK Stuart Taylor

14 FW Nathan Delfouneso

15 DF Curtis Davies

16 DF Zat Knight

17 MF Moustapha Salifou

18 MF Wayne Routledge

19 MF Stiliyan Petrov

20 MF Nigel Reo-Coker (vice-captain)

26 MF Craig Gardner

27 MF Isaiah Osbourne

28 FW Shaun Maloney

That's just 17 players, with some of them either never having played for the club before, or a very limited amount of times. The only player they have left there that honestly I feel would make our first team 18 as it is now, is Ashley Young. Zat Knight, Marlon Harewood, Wayne Routledge, Stuart Taylor. Nigel Reo-Coker, Craig Gardner, Moustapha Salifou. Their squad is dreadful.

They're about to lose their captain, have just spent most of the fee they'll get for him on Curtis Davies (who they had on loan last season so it's not exactly an improvement so to speak) and they haven't got a GK yet (worse off if they buy Robinson).

It will take some serious spending, and wisely, for them to mount a top 4 challenge.

Last season they were very lucky with injuries and this season i think they will struggle big time. They've got the intertoto cup which will mess up their pre-season, and then if they do get through, they've got a UEFA cup campaign, which we've all seen the effect it can have on teams with weak squads.

Obviously it will depend a lot on transfer dealings in the next 7 weeks, but I honestly can't see any side challenging the top 4 for a prolonged period the forthcoming season.

People will say 'Spurs, they've got Modric and Dos Santos', but they're likely to lose Berbatov and maybe even Keane, and there's no saying what impact their new signings will have on the PL.

spurs could be interesting, depends on who else they sell / keep. arsenal probably need to pull their finger out in the transfer market this summer, but if adebayor goes to barca then they'll have another 30m to play with. but flamini, hleb and adebayor would take some replacing.

city could be worth watching. if they were to get ronaldinho and this lad jo kicks off then who knows?

arsenal probably need to pull their finger out in the transfer market this summer, but if adebayor goes to barca then they'll have another 30m to play with. but flamini, hleb and adebayor would take some replacing.

They needed to add about five players (to challenge) without losing any. Arsenal don't look healthy to me I must be honest.

They needed to add about five players (to challenge) without losing any. Arsenal don't look healthy to me I must be honest.

We say the same thing every season though don't we.

Although that said, THIS SEASON, if they don't do well in the transfer market, i think they'll struggle.

Ramos seems to know what he's doing and they have a solid nucleus of side with money to spend as well so i'll say Spurs. Everton should have a reality check this year and miss out on the top six (fingers crossed). Portsmouth and City to fill the next couple of spots.

spurs could be interesting, depends on who else they sell / keep. arsenal probably need to pull their finger out in the transfer market this summer, but if adebayor goes to barca then they'll have another 30m to play with. but flamini, hleb and adebayor would take some replacing.

city could be worth watching. if they were to get ronaldinho and this lad jo kicks off then who knows?

Goofy's brother says he won't play in England and a deal; with Milan is 90% done.

I've been amazed when looking on Villa and Spurs forums recently how vulnerable they think we are.

Not sure if its us failing to note our own inadequacies or them.

They've been saying that for years.

''If Gerrard gets injured Liverpool will struggle''

''Gerrard and Torres score all their goals'' (even though Ronaldo and Tevez scored a more larger % of United's total goals last season)

Usual optimistic bulls***.

Guest PaulMcC
I've been amazed when looking on Villa and Spurs forums recently how vulnerable they think we are.

Not sure if its us failing to note our own inadequacies or them.

Got a link to any of these forums saying that?

he's a very good club manager. always has been.

Wasted a lot of money, and their form was a disgrace in the second half of the season

but like you, I am not sure Hughes is the right manager to take them to the next level