By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Gary Lineker talks s****

'ere

As England fans prepare to watch from the sidelines with Euro 2008 ready to get under way on Saturday, BBC presenter Gary Lineker knows all too well about the disappointment the tournament can bring.

Lineker was part of the England team which qualified for the Euros in 1988 and 1992, only to return home before the knockout stages.

Despite those painful memories, Lineker - second in England's all-time list of goalscorers - is looking forward to Euro 2008.

Here, he gives BBC Sport his thoughts on the forthcoming tournament and explains why international football is more important than the Champions League.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger have said the Champions League is more interesting than international football. Do you agree?

They are club managers so they are bound to say that. They do not care about international football; their interest is their club. They are only bothered about their players not getting injured in international football.

But the one thing that can really draw a nation together is a tournament like the World Cup and the European Championship.

That is when you get these moments of national togetherness that are so rare. Football can achieve something that few other sports can.

The Champions League is a great tournament, but it can never, ever bring about that national togetherness and that is why international football is so important.

It is easy to forget how important England's success in the 1990 World Cup was for boosting football and generating interest. The crowds went up in domestic football after that tournament.

International football will always be vital and that is why there was a sense of national mourning when England did not qualify for this tournament.

The World Cup and the Euros will always be bigger than the Champions League... until it gets to the point when the clubs are so strong that they feel able to say that there is not going to be international football anymore - and if that happens then we really are in trouble.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given England did not qualify for Euro 2008 what is the future for the English national team?

It is not the same without us in it and it is not great for English football. With the quality of our players there is no way we should not have been in it.

But England have underperformed for a long time and have not shown their true potential and this time they have paid the price.

Hopefully England can turn things round and reach the World Cup in 2010. It is not hard to qualify for the World Cup unless you really mess it up.

You worry a bit about the production of young talent, but I think the academies are starting to get it right. Even so I think it will be another six to 10 years before we really see the benefit.

Some pessimists think England will never win a major tournament again, but it's been a long time since England have won a major tournament so it is not that brave a statement to make.

I will always live in hope, though we might have to wait until we host a World Cup as that gives us a better opportunity.

If Greece won Euro 2004, how can you say England cannot win it? We've been close at the World Cup in 1990, which shows it can be done.

All you need is to get it right at the right time. You need to get the tactical discipline, the players and the team spirit.

We have got the players and the quality to do it, though we do shoot ourselves in the foot as our domestic season is so tough and we play 100mph football compared to everyone else.

Who will be the player of the tournament?

For me it has to be Cristiano Ronaldo. He is such a brilliant talent and quite wonderful to watch.

I thought he played well in the World Cup 2006 so he has nothing to prove.

He has been sensational in the last two years and has just got better and better.

Maybe he overdid the tricks before but his overall football education has shown him when to do the tricks and when not to do them, when to give the ball and and when not to.

He has got such all-round talent. You could not ask more from a front player. He works his socks off, he is strong, quick, has unbelievable control, is brilliant in the air and scores goals.

By and large he is a wide player, so to score so many goals shows just what an extraordinary talent he is.

Who will win Euro 2008?

It is open, but I am going for those perennial underachievers in Spain.

They have a bit more strength in depth than in the past. They have got a good spine in Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Cesc Fabregas, Xavi, Fernando Torres and David Villa and they look very strong up front.

Torres is a much better player than I thought he was. He is still young and it usually takes people a while to acclimatise to the Premier League, but he has done it straight away which suggests he is a really class act.

He has shown he can finish and is maturing and learning fast. His pace helps him - he is really quick.

Spain also have this experience of players going abroad - their national team has never had that before.

In Spain the feeling is that team chokes, but they have done well in sports like golf and motor racing where they have shown they have the bottle.

Given Austria are 92nd in the Fifa rankings and Switzerland are 44th, should host nations in major tournaments be made to qualify?

Without a host nation taking part, the tournament would be absurd. The World Cup tournament without Germany in 2006 would have been unthinkable - it was just such a special event.

The same was true of Euro 96. It is impossible to imagine that tournament without England being present.

Perhaps what you might have to look at in the future is the issue of joint host nations as that uses up two spots up. It would be better if they could use just one country.

It is unfortunate these particular two countries are a bit weak. They will probably be knocked out in the group stages, but they will still add a bit of colour to the tournament. Two weak teams out of 16 is not too bad.

England haven't underperformed at all. How can you underperform for 30 years, or so? It's unrealistic expectation, not underperforming.

England's success in 1990 brought a whole new army of fans to footy. 95% of whom are t***s & I wish would f*** right off.

No Cup competition is bigger than the EC. I'd sooner Liverpool won the EC in 2009 than Ireland monopolize international footy for the next 50 years.

Guest Raisbeck

Of course they have under performed, even if you dont like England or want them to win a major tournament you surely have to agree that the group of players in the current squad should qualify for every major tournament. Not being in Euro 2008 is a major under performance.

Guest Raisbeck
you don't consistently underperform over years though

they have consistently underperformed for at least 2 years.

Under Erikkson they qualified for major tournaments, we played consistently underperformed for 2 years and missed out on the Euro.

"In Spain the feeling is that team chokes, but they have done well in sports like golf and motor racing where they have shown they have the bottle."

Stupid thing to say, when's the last time Torres went motor racing or Fabergas won a golf tournament?

Guest Raisbeck
"In Spain the feeling is that team chokes, but they have done well in sports like golf and motor racing where they have shown they have the bottle."

Stupid thing to say, when's the last time Torres went motor racing or Fabergas won a golf tournament?

Think hes referring to Spanish mentality, that they are always the chokers in the big tournaments but in individual sports Spaniards have shown they can be beat everyone?

Torres is that good he would though

Guest the Dude abides

Could someone just highlight the good bits. Don't want to read the whole thing, he's such a bore.

Ok, think i have the just after reading one or two of the replies. Spain haven't really choked in the big tournaments imo. Take this year for example. They're severely lacking defensively and are light-weight in mid-field.

Edited by the Dude abides

Guest Linton
'ere

England's success in 1990 brought a whole new army of fans to footy. 95% of whom are t***s & I wish would f*** right off.

Too right. I always support England after Sweden, and when they are out it hurts because this is the footballers I follow week in and week out. But I never get the arrogance of SOME fans? I really want England to go on and win the EC and the WC but they sure make it easy to not like them, just because of fans who acts like total t***s.

'ere

England haven't underperformed at all. How can you underperform for 30 years, or so? It's unrealistic expectation, not underperforming.

No Cup competition is bigger than the EC. I'd sooner Liverpool won the EC in 2009 than Ireland monopolize international footy for the next 50 years.

Think Linekar was right, in relation to getting a nation going or the interest at least. If England qualified for this tournament and did well (however unlikely that would have been) then the interest and the amount of people watching the games going down pubs etc would be greater than for the European Cup.

Guest Raisbeck
exactly what i was going to say...

our record in international tourns has always been s****.....

Our 1966 win was a fluke..........

sure it was :lol:

In 66 England were the best side so they won the WC, just because they have never won it since doenst mean the only win was a fluke.

Greece won the Euro last time out and might never win it again but we wont be saying it was a fluke (well you might be) in 50 years because they were the best team over the tournament.

Our record hasnt always been s**** - In the 90s we made both the WC semis and the Euro semis

sure it was :lol:

In 66 England were the best side so they won the WC, just because they have never won it since doenst mean the only win was a fluke.

Greece won the Euro last time out and might never win it again but we wont be saying it was a fluke (well you might be) in 50 years because they were the best team over the tournament.

Our record hasnt always been s**** - In the 90s we made both the WC semis and the Euro semis

Fluke here doesn't mean they didn't deserve to win it in 1966, it means that that they have only produced one class team in 80 years!

nonsense

Not saying that this is the case myself, just explaining what is meant by Fluke

the 1990, the 96 teams, the 1970 teams were all good teams, capable of winning the tournments

I think englands problem (same goes for spain actually) is that a lot of the players are over rated because of who they play for, players like Lampard, Rooney, Poyul, Ineista are over rated because they play for chelsea/ united and Barca..etc, and that why they get the favourite tag unfairly

fair enough

the '82 side was good too

fact is not qualifying for the current Euro tournament is clearly underperforming. How many English players were there in the 4 semi final teams of this year's CL ?

Crouch

Gerrard

Cole x 2

Terry

Brown

Ferdinand

Rooney

Lampard

Hargreaves

Carrick

that's a keeper short (carra/scholes retired so they aren't included) of a team + a sub right there

and whilst Liverpool are supplemented by Torres/Masch, Chelsea by Drogba/Ballack/Makalele and Utd by Ronaldo/Tevez there's still enough talent there to qualify for this tournament.

Anything less than a quarter final place at every major tournment for a country like England is underperforming

If england had appointed a half decent manager that they would have been here, but not qualifying might actually be a blessing in disguise, as they would have had no chance of winning it with Mclaren in charge and it has made the FA actually go out and get probably the best manager in world football.

I also think that the FA should have appointed GH in a simmilar role to what he is currently doing in france

They won it due to home advantage rather than being the best side - although they aren't alone in that.

Their team was actually better in 1970, altough still not the best.