By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Souness

psl

Didn't think he still cared!

I've always thought its was pretty clear how much affection he has for the club.

To be honest, I don't mind him as a pundit for these kind of games. He usually has something interesting to say - especially when it comes to midfield.

It was a relief not having to listen to Redknapp last night.

'Its in you, it never leaves you' he said.

I think that sums it up.

I remember when he came back to Anfield with Newcastle a couple of seasons back. The players had just walked out at the start, and Sky caught him talking to staff I think inside the tunnel area outside the dressing rooms. Realising that the players had walked out and he was late, he went down the tunnel and placed his hand on the 'This is Anfield' sign.

I have been searching ages for it on YouTube but it's not there. But it was definitely nice to see, made me smile and was spot on. As he said: 'Its in you, it never leaves you'

I thought Keegan might do it a few weeks back but he never.

Fantastic player, unbelievable in that midfield.

They started to talk about him placing a flag in the centre circle and fans coming after him I think at Fenerbache. Can someone tell the story?

Memory tells me that it was the Turkish Cup Final, played in fener's back yard against their nemesis Galatasaray. Gala won, Souness ran on the pitch with a huge f*ck off Gala flag and planted it in the centre circle.

Try imagining Fergie running onto Anfield after a huge match and planting club colours and magnify that by 10. That was the outrage it caused and there's loads of YouTube clips out there on it.

Souness is a understandably a legend for Gala fans for doing that.

The man caused HUNdreds of Rangers fans to burn their season tickets because he had no truck with their non-Catholic policy. He is a big man, a tough man, a hard man. He made an enormous mistake when in charge of the club that he loves (as well as failing probably for the first time in his life and then recently talking an awful lot of s*** on television), but he's never since been anything but loyal to Liverpool.

They're the same eyes you can see when he lifts the cup.

The man caused HUNdreds of Rangers fans to burn their season tickets because he had no truck with their non-Catholic policy. He is a big man, a tough man, a hard man. He made an enormous mistake when in charge of the club that he loves (as well as failing probably for the first time in his life and then recently talking an awful lot of s*** on television), but he's never since been anything but loyal to Liverpool.

They're the same eyes you can see when he lifts the cup.

He had an interview with Dunphy where he was speaking about his reign , admitted his mistakes and other things. IMO people are too critical of him , he's a Liverpool great , he loves the club so much he resigned. By that I mean , Souness is a man of great pride and for him to walk away and admit he was not up to the job would have taken a lot from him , such is his love for the club he walked away because he did not want to destroy it and recognised his tenure would do just that.

Slag Souness all you want.

But he still loves the club to a serious degree. And lets not forget that its easy for him to feel that some players aren't good enough, when you consider how absolutley brilliant he was, and how good some of the teams he played in were.

Man's a legend. Let's never forget that.

Souness, for me, is 2nd only to Kenny in the players I have seen live playing for Liverpool (I am 35!).

If you took the best of Gerrard, Keane and Viera, combined them, the sum of the parts is Graeme Souness IMO.

Always remember him on Sky when Utd were playing the Gooners with Kean and Viera were at their peak.

Keys said (or words to that effect), I bet your glad you are not out there facing those 2 Graeme, Souness looked at him with utter contempt and replied along the lines of he'd love to be out there facing them, it was them who should be glad HE wasn't out there.

What a player, would be worth £35M+ in the modern game.

Edited by Spiblish

the whole thing with the S*n leaves a bad taste, but i'll tell you what, as a player he was something else. i can forgive him for being a s*** manager, but the crack with the s*n somewhat spoils it for me. Dont doubt for a single minute he doesnt care immensely aboutteh club. And for a captain to send the manager up to get a trophy at Wembley was a fantasticly selfless thing to do. the Pride on Bobs face when he went up those 39 steps in 1983 was a joy to see

He had an interview with Dunphy where he was speaking about his reign , admitted his mistakes and other things. IMO people are too critical of him , he's a Liverpool great , he loves the club so much he resigned. By that I mean , Souness is a man of great pride and for him to walk away and admit he was not up to the job would have taken a lot from him , such is his love for the club he walked away because he did not want to destroy it and recognised his tenure would do just that.

Looking back at that time, it's easy to imagine that it precisely because he cared so much that he made such a mess of things - from interviews he's given since he seems to intimate that some of the senior players had gotten too comfortable at the club. Whereas a more detached manager (like Rafa) would probably have looked at what these players could still contribute Souness just tried to get them out the club a.s.a.p.

It wasn't a great period to be season ticket holder I can assure you but I still hold Souness the player in the highest regard.

i forgave souness for that a long time ago. he's long since expressed sincere regret. who am i to deny him.

doesnt mean i have to like him as anything other than a player though - im not sure i do. what i do, is acknowledge that he is probably the greatest midfielder and captain in our history.

Edited by Mike

As has been said above, I can forgive him being a s*** manager, and I don't doubt that he still loves us, but his dealing with that rag has pushed it a bit too far. Although I don't doubt that he severely regrets that too. I vaguely recall reading an interview when he said he did, but I have no idea where or when

i remember an interview he did a few years back on 5 live i think were he expressed his remorse.

Souness sadly, marred this triumph by poorly timed publicity in the Sun newspaper. He explained the story himself in 1999, in an interview with Garth Crooks: "Because the game went to penalties, the paper missed the deadline. That picture [of Souness with his future bride] ended up in the newspaper on the Wednesday - the anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster. I should have resigned then, looking back.

"I will forever be sorry it happened. It was out of my control. I was in hospital having an operation which, as it turned out, was life threatening. It was a foolish mistake, but when somebody tells you at 37 that you are going to have open heart surgery and that you might die, how would you react? I reacted in a way which I'll regret for the rest of my life. I'm sorry to the people on Merseyside whom I offended and I shall eternally be sorry".

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/past_players/players/souness/

Edited by Mike

I once met Souness here in Malta in 1990 when he was still managing Rangers. As some have said in this thread the man has incredible presence. Not a big man stature wise but when he walks into a room there is a certain intensity. I remember walking up to him to get his signature. I was 14 at the time and was starstruck. As he signed the piece of paper all I could say was "You were a great player." His reply was curt ".....but not any more."

I think the problem Souness the manager had was that he judged players by his own standards. The vast majority of players could not live up to those expectations, particularly when it came to wearing the red shirt.

You often see very successful people struggling to make a successful transition to managing others doing the same role (becoming a team manager in this case). There aren't many top managers around today who were great, great players in their day.

Souness was a magnificent player, and I'm not surprised to hear he still loves the club.

Guest Snorky

Souness was the reason I stopped going to Anfield.

When he appeared in that rag, I stopped going to Anfield but still went the aways. I never returned until he was no longer the manager.

It still leaves a sour taste, I want to forgive him, but it's hard.