Sign in to follow this  
Rushian

The Spectator on Hillsborough

It's probably mentioned elsewhere but The Times says the story was originally written by a Simon Heffer. My dad says a Heffer was a Merseyside MP a while back and was wondering if there was any connection there.

Anyone?

That was the late Eric Heffer, about as far removed from Simon as can be, politically and no relation.

Both on the larger side though.

Guest beloved aunt

simon heffer is one big fat witless f***

his columns are trailed along the lines of "he's irreverent! irascible! irrepressible!". in other words, he's one of those tory bigots who "speak as they find", talk s**** and don't care who they hurt. (much like his recently deceased colleague and fellow t*** lynda lee-corpse, in fact.)

i have a friend who works near the mail building. he often sees heffer waddle into work. in the flesh (of which there is much) hef is, by all accounts, nearly totally red in hue. he's a heart attack waiting to happen. his veins probably pump claret.

yeah, he's a fat c*** alright

simon heffer is one big fat witless f***

his columns are trailed along the lines of "he's irreverent! irascible! irrepressible!". in other words, he's one of those tory bigots who "speak as they find", talk s**** and don't care who they hurt. (much like his recently deceased colleague and fellow t*** lynda lee-corpse, in fact.)

i have a friend who works near the mail building. he often sees heffer waddle into work. in the flesh (of which there is much) hef is, by all accounts, nearly totally red in hue. he's a heart attack waiting to happen. his veins probably pump claret.

yeah, he's a fat c*** alright

:applause:

this vitriol belongs in the rant room.

I think his apology is about as good as anyone could possibly make. He stuck to his guns on the crux of the article, which incidentally i agree with, and addressed the factual errors and errors of judgement in an articulate and compassionate way.

The problem is, I don't think he means one word of it.

Guest OSRB

The Hillsborough thing, which is clearly tactless bordering on disgusting, ruins what is a good point, not just about Liverpool but England generally. I find the peppering of minutes silence's baffling, and for once agree with something written for F365:

http://www.football365.com/opinion/john_ni...ry_129651.shtml

Indeed I think the whole nation mourning the death of a man as if he was their relative quite disturbing.