By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

The Next Liverpool Manager

Kid Klopp

5 hours ago, Hassony said:

Because it's European royalties vs a team that has less CL semi final appearances than Eric Dier 

Using Dier as an instrument to help your spurious argument is below the belt you barstid, he's the Djimi Traore of European football.. Munich have been s*** this year, Arsenal are a point off the top of the premiership, a superior league by far. I was very surprised they lost.

6 minutes ago, Murphman said:

Using Dier as an instrument to help your spurious argument is below the belt you barstid, he's the Djimi Traore of European football.. Munich have been s*** this year, Arsenal are a point off the top of the premiership, a superior league by far. I was very surprised they lost.

I was impressed by how Tuchel approached those two games. He had Artetas number. I think Saka touched the ball thrice or something in the second leg. They just kept drawing Arsenals full back up into triangle in the wing and breezed past their press. Arteta couldn’t cope. Great stuff. 

6 minutes ago, Murphman said:

Arsenal only beat the poorest Porto team in years on penalties, and Porto were the better team over 210 minutes 

1 hour ago, Molby said:

let’s stop talking and also acknowledging s***e

that’s what I’d call utopia

it’s exactly like if you’re playing an important match in your local league and someone on the sideline shouts

“hey let’s play rugby with a turd, here catch!”

and you forget about the game at hand, catch the turd, tuck it under your arm, and start legging it down the wing

Normally I’d agree with you but aren’t Edwards, Hughes and Howe supposed to be old Portsmouth mates? I guess that’s why he keeps popping up, especially when we haven’t signed anyone yet. Personally I’m doing it in jest and despair. If it actually does go to him I think I’ll finally implode.

5 hours ago, Swipe said:

The quotes from Ornstein posted earlier. 

Like someone said, those quotes have got massive Eddie Howe vibes.

Not linked to those quotes, but I can't remember seeing Emery's name ever being mentioned. He's good.

Edited by DanWM

2 minutes ago, Dominus Maximus said:

I’d be happy with Emery all things considered. 

Heard someone saying his record at everywhere except arsenal is really good. Villa play good football. 

On a separate note, I'm not sure why we never seem to be linked with Douglas Luiz. It looks as though arsenal have got a free run at him.

3 minutes ago, DanWM said:

Heard someone saying his record at everywhere except arsenal is really good. Villa play good football. 

On a separate note, I'm not sure why we never seem to be linked with Douglas Luiz. It looks as though arsenal have got a free run at him.

I think we were linked with Luiz last summer and the summer before.

4 minutes ago, PaulMcC186 said:

I think we were linked with Luiz last summer and the summer before.

Don't remember anything last summer? But yeah, think he would be good for us, without getting into any more 3 at the back chat.

3 minutes ago, Hassony said:

I just can't see us winning the league with Emery , which is why I don't want him 

It's that funny thing where it's hard for managers to progress through the league. Like with de zerbi, people will always think "ah but Brighton are crap"

I mean Emery's won the league with PSG, which doesn't count for much, but then there's only a handful of managers who've won in a major league in the past 10 years.

35 minutes ago, DanWM said:

It's that funny thing where it's hard for managers to progress through the league. Like with de zerbi, people will always think "ah but Brighton are crap"

I mean Emery's won the league with PSG, which doesn't count for much, but then there's only a handful of managers who've won in a major league in the past 10 years.

Think Emery has a long enough track record that you can say he can reach the top four, reach the CL quarters, win the Europa League, and that’s about it, PSG aside. He’s broadly a 7/10 with individual games where he can reach 8 and 9. 

• Like 1

But surely Amorim falls into the “be brave” category with only the proven like Ancellotti or to a much lesser extent Zidane being the other category which I can’t remember. 

Be honest, none of us had considered Amorim until a few months ago. It’s a brave appointment 

5 minutes ago, Tobes Rafa said:

But surely Amorim falls into the “be brave” category with only the proven like Ancellotti or to a much lesser extent Zidane being the other category which I can’t remember. 

Be honest, none of us had considered Amorim until a few months ago. It’s a brave appointment 

Yeah, you are right. But Ornstein wrote that line knowing that everyone is assuming Amorim is the favorite, which makes me think that they are looking at someone else, which Ornstein also wrote. 

37 minutes ago, goodrobotusses said:

Think Emery has a long enough track record that you can say he can reach the top four, reach the CL quarters, win the Europa League, and that’s about it, PSG aside. He’s broadly a 7/10 with individual games where he can reach 8 and 9. 

I dunno, I'm not trying to bang the drum for Emery all that much, but arsenal and PSG are the only two top sides he's managed. Only one of those was expected to win the league, and he did. 

I was talking more in a general sense about how there aren't many managers available who've got league winning credentials.

9 minutes ago, DanWM said:

I dunno, I'm not trying to bang the drum for Emery all that much, but arsenal and PSG are the only two top sides he's managed. Only one of those was expected to win the league, and he did. 

I was talking more in a general sense about how there aren't many managers available who've got league winning credentials.

Yeah, I got you. Apologies, realise my post might have come across that a rebuttal of what you wrote, but was meant more as a response to the Emery discussion more broadly.

I get what you're saying about the clubs Emery has coached, and I think he is a good coach and tactician, but I suspect he is just a notch below top level. The fact neither Barcelona or Madrid have sniffed around him suggests that is the view in Spain also.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, goodrobotusses said:

Yeah, I got you. Apologies, realise my post might have come across that a rebuttal of what you wrote, but was meant more as a response to the Emery discussion more broadly.

I get what you're saying about the clubs Emery has coached, and I think he is a good coach and tactician, but I suspect he is just a notch below top level. The fact neither Barcelona or Madrid have sniffed around him suggests that is the view in Spain also.

You're probably right about the Barca/ Real thing, maybe he's just carved out too much of an identity as Europa League Man. 

Thinking about the options available, there's maybe Inzaghi at Inter? But beyond that it feels like we're looking at lesser leagues/ managers who've performed at sides who aren't expected to win the league.

Don't need to apologize btw!

Edited by DanWM

9 hours ago, Molby said:

we’re going to be outspent by about ten other teams

so we’ll be needing a miracle-worker

again

f*** off FSG

I'm at peace that there's no way to avoid being outspent by City, Newcastle and Chelsea. You either have to cheat or be backed by an oil state to be close.

• Upvote 1