By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Coaching

Yeah, but haven't done my badges.

I'm 47 years old, and don't want to be to be re educated in all things football.

Been either playing it, running men's teams, and youth sides, for 37 of those 47 years.

Once I'd have been interested in getting my badges, but it'll take up a lot of my precious time.

Good luck though Dazz, really worth it.

Anybody do it?

I have just done the FA level 1 to help out with my boys teams.

Thought level 1 was quite good. Thinking about level 2 but much more intense.

My son has a Level 2 badge, it's far more involved than Level 1 which is basically a day's course and a bit of study. I didn't do it because being an old Dad with a bad knee at the time the physicality was a challenge. I was lucky though, I managed a brilliant side and worked with a good coach at a semi pro club for a number of years, I learned loads. I'd definitely do it if you have the time Dazza. 

I coached my daughters footie for 14 years. Got the badges, learned a lot, had a great time, kept the girls together, they all went to Uni, and they are all doing well as adults.

Mission accomplished.

This is not totally unconnected, you learn later on just how much influence you had on their development, it's hugely rewarding and a big surprise when you speak with them later on.

This is not totally unconnected, you learn later on just how much influence you had on their development, it's hugely rewarding and a big surprise when you speak with them later on.

I told them very early on that if they thought they were going to end up getting soccer scholarships to Duke University or vying for international junior championships, then they need to go to another team. I wanted them to learn the game properly, respect their teammates and opponents, love the sport, not smoke, not do drugs, not get pregnant. It worked well. Every one of them went to university, and none of them had any slip ups. The were all good kids, despite the fact that some parents couldn't stop themselves from being ars*holes. But they gradually culled themselves out. We also ended up doing really well in competitions and leagues and had a great laugh doing it.

I also insisted on every one of them being Liverpool fans. And they were. I still run into some parents, and the girls, and they all tell me that they still follow us to varying degrees. I take great delight in that.

• 2 weeks later...

I coach also at U10s. Did the level 1 and found it very rewarding despite thinking I knew enough having played semi pro myself.

Gets you thinking. More about how you teach rather than what you're teaching.

Frustrating at times but overwhelmingly brilliant for most of it. They say and do the funniest things. It's a huge responsibility so anyone taking it on should be proud of themselves whatever sport.

• 3 weeks later...

I coach also at U10s. Did the level 1 and found it very rewarding despite thinking I knew enough having played semi pro myself.

Gets you thinking. More about how you teach rather than what you're teaching.

Frustrating at times but overwhelmingly brilliant for most of it. They say and do the funniest things. It's a huge responsibility so anyone taking it on should be proud of themselves whatever sport.

I know plenty of 'semi pros' who know f*ck all about football.