By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

merging the Academy with Melwood

Molby

in one of the Echo articles, where Stevie G istalking about the need for investment today, he mentions that he'd like to seethe Academy merge with Melwood

more than anything, I like the fact that he hasan opinion on this, and is willing to state it

but what would it mean in terms of how the clubis run day to day and in terms of player development? thoughts please

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2010/11/08/steven-gerrard-wants-a-quick-fix-for-liverpool-s-future-100252-27617901/

What are the benefits of it?

Is it feasible to have it in one location? They would need a new one i would have thought

I really don't know

I wish the f***ing hapless interviewer would ask the questions when something interesting like this pops up

Don't know what Melwood is like but I would have thought the academy is big enough. They already have evetyone there from the reserves downwards, so it appears to be only the first team that aren't there. If they moved everyone to the academy you would have thought they would generate income by developing/selling Melwood

Melwood is big enough to build a new building to house the academy. It's a good idea and would be a big boost to the young lads to be training at the same base as the first team. I'm sure it would help communication between all the staff too.

The first team might prefer not to have a load of kids around trying to nick their shinnies to sell on ebay though

I think it's a great idea. The youngsters need to see how the first team trains & behaves. It's how it used to be and probably still is all over the country with the youth team cleaning the first team player's boots etc.

Being assigned to support and look after a first team player is an excellent part of their education and 'growing up'. It helps keep their feet on the ground as well as giving them a target, something to aspire to be.

I think it's a great idea. The youngsters need to see how the first team trains & behaves. It's how it used to be and probably still is all over the country with the youth team cleaning the first team player's boots etc.

Being assigned to support and look after a first team player is an excellent part of their education and 'growing up'. It helps keep their feet on the ground as well as giving them a target, something to aspire to be.

How does it benefit the first team though?

I doubt any youth players are cleaning boots anymore by the way. The youngsters at our acadamy don't even clean their own kit

I doubt any youth players are cleaning boots anymore by the way. The youngsters at our acadamy don't even clean their own kit

they do at some clubs still, perhaps not on the top flight.

How does it help the first team? Could go either way. First team players might start to feel more responsible. They might involve themselves in the teaching, they might learn more about coaching/tactics as a result. Then again, they might just like to show off what they;ve got, how good they are and so on.

Put it this way, I don't see how it can have a negative affect on the first team. They'll always have the privileges, sections of the place where only they are allowed etc.

I think they should certianly be in the same location.

Melwood is big enough to build a new building to house the academy. It's a good idea and would be a big boost to the young lads to be training at the same base as the first team. I'm sure it would help communication between all the staff too.

No it's not. There's no room for expansion. The only way to do it would be to move everything to the academy where there's more room but the club spent millions doing up Melwood a few years back so you can understand the reluctance to move. Maybe the new regime will see things differently.

5158959764_757692bdf8_z.jpg

Edited by Maldini

great idea. For the youth, see potential heroes every day. a striker could learn more watching torres up close for 30 minutes than a day training. by involving the first team with the youth,, you give them added responsibility and see the potential coming through. Its like the 'coach' option in FM, provides a mentor of sorts. Also, keeps everyone on their toes. First team seeing a younger playing coming up who looks good in his position, or a younger player who thinks he's made it, how much better he has to be.

great idea. For the youth, see potential heroes every day. a striker could learn more watching torres up close for 30 minutes than a day training. by involving the first team with the youth,, you give them added responsibility and see the potential coming through. Its like the 'coach' option in FM, provides a mentor of sorts. Also, keeps everyone on their toes. First team seeing a younger playing coming up who looks good in his position, or a younger player who thinks he's made it, how much better he has to be.

The problem is the Academy players would never see the first team. The first team train in the morning and would leave by 1 and the academy players wouldn't arrive until later.

I think Stevie commented on this in his biography? He said something about how training close to the first team helped him develop, and also how helpful the likes of John Barnes was for his development.

I think this is a great idea, but Roy thinks it's utopia.

Don't think it does with regards to the current first team. I think Gerrard was advocating it to bring on the youngsters, which should in turn benefit the first team in the long run. I think that's his theory anyway.

No it's not. There's no room for expansion. The only way to do it would be to move everything to the academy where there's more room but the club spent millions doing up Melwood a few years back so you can understand the reluctance to move. Maybe the new regime will see things differently.

5158959764_757692bdf8_z.jpg

Where's Paco's Hill? Top left hand corner?

Edited by Buzz