By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

World Cup 2010 (merged threads)

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit disappointed for the Yanks, I was enjoying their little run.

What fkin run?! I keep hearing about this run they're on and how they've defied the odds.

They're ranked 14th.

Drew against England who are ranked 8th. Good result.

Drew against Slovenia who are ranked 25th. s*** result.

Beat Algeria who are ranked 30th with a last minute goal, jammy result.

Lost to Ghana who are ranked 32nd, s*** result.

f*** the yanks, all I keep hearing about is how plucky they are and went on a great run... b******s, they had a dreadful set of results other than the England game.

Edited by JonShar

"All of Africa are cheering for Ghana" says the ITV commentator. Are they?

Not sure he would be saying all of Europe were cheering for Spain last night, or all of Asia were cheering South Korea this afternoon.

Patronising prick

Especially when Congo (I think) alone is larger than Europe

Made up. Stupid yanks.

:yawn:

'stupid' yanks is priceless coming from you

The 'yanks' have been one of the few highpoints of this tournament so far. Especially when you look at France, Italy, England.....

So if any of you are taking some delight in the demise of the US in this tournament, I have to counter with this.

They played with more guts than a hell of a lot of the teams in this tournament, including France, Italy, England, Cameroon, Greece, and more.

They came back from the dead a few times in the games they played.

They had the two worst cases of legitimate goals being disallowed in the tournament.

If they didn't have that badge on their shirt, you'd look at them very differently.

The USA were (was) a breath of fresh air in this tourny - along with Uruguay, S Korea etc

In fact - my top & bottom fives, relative to both absolute and expected outcomes:

Top five (so far) in terms of results & performances in no order

Uruguay

USA

Argentina

NZ

S Korea

Bottom five

France

Italy

England

Swiss

Cameroon

no real science in there

Eh?

The 'yanks' have been one of the few highpoints of this tournament so far. Especially when you look at France, Italy, England.....

Yes, but England are going to win it.

They played with more guts than a hell of a lot of the teams in this tournament, including France, Italy, England, Cameroon, Greece, and more.

Guts are useless though when you get knocked out. England could be gutless the whole tournament and still go on to win it.

The commentators are patronizing when they harp on about all of Africa being behind Ghana - and as someone pointed out if Spain or Italy or whoever were the last European team, would all of Europe be behind them? In addition - Africa and Europe don't exactly equate either - Congo - I think it is - being larger than Europe on its own.

Why would people from Nigeria or Sudan cheer Ghana?

Eh?

Yes, but England are going to win it.

remind me in 12 hours

They came back from the dead a few times in the games they played.

They had the two worst cases of legitimate goals being disallowed in the tournament.

If they didn't have that badge on their shirt, you'd look at them very differently.

I actually agree with all that. :o

Forgive me, I just don't get this whole "they played with guts" and "top 5 teams of the tourney stuff".

England result aside, the Slovenia game was the equivalent of Liverpool playing Blackburn. They drew. The Algeria game was the equivalent of Liverpool playing West Ham. They won with a goal in injury time. The Ghana game was the equivalent of us playing Blackpool. They lost.

Help me understand how that shows their guts and quality. If it was the examples above Liverpool would be under pressure.

The commentators are patronizing when they harp on about all of Africa being behind Ghana - and as someone pointed out if Spain or Italy or whoever were the last European team, would all of Europe be behind them? In addition - Africa and Europe don't exactly equate either - Congo - I think it is - being larger than Europe on its own.

Why would people from Nigeria or Sudan cheer Ghana?

remind me in 12 hours

The whole African continent is about the size of Europe isn't it? I assume by Europe you mean more than Great Britain + Ireland, France, Germany, Spain/Portugal and are including Russia and Eastern Europe in it too?

And commentators go on about it during club games too - "we're all behind Arsenal in Europe" - are we f***ing b******s. I hope they crash and burn and get embarrassed 9-0.

Why do you think that?

They are a good solid outfit, and they are improving (they are probably one only three teams that can win the world and haven't done so far)

as someone already said, they are like the stoke of international football, they got over rated after a jammy win against spain last year

They are a good solid outfit, and they are improving (they are probably one only three teams that can win the world and haven't done so far)

as someone already said, they are like the stoke of international football, they got over rated after a jammy win against spain last year

get a grip. there are about 20 teams with a better chance of winning a world cup that havent won it than USA. they got through the easiest group in the competition by riding their luck, and they were shown up by a poor Ghana side last night.

Er, no Macca.

The whole African continent is about the size of Europe isn't it?

No. it is much much bigger. Have a look at Google maps.

Peter Drury was an absolute disgrace again last night by the way.

I though the USA did ok with a limited pool of talent.

They have a couple of good intelligent attacking players in Donovan and Dempsey and a decent playmaker in Bradley.

Their defence was atrocious when under pressure and they need a better keeper than Howard.

Jarg mentioned it above. He needs killing.

Murray on the BBC highlights actually said the following words pretty much verbatim: "They play with a smile on their face and have more rhythm than I could possibly imagine." Hahaa!!

Murray on the BBC highlights actually said the following words pretty much verbatim: "They play with a smile on their face and have more rhythm than I could possibly imagine." Hahaa!!

f*** me.

I mean it's just wrong. Ghana, while they went at the US from the off have been ferociously well organised.

and they need a better keeper than Howard.

I was wondering about him last night. Has anyone actually seen him make a save? (Apart from Heskey but he doesnt count, he's not a footballer) He doesnt drop many obvious clangers but I honestly barely ever see him save anything and some of his positioning like for that 1st last night is shocking.