By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans. By fans, for fans.

Chelsea then...Surprise em!

Chewie

I reckon we're really gonna have to have a go for the first 45... if it ain't working after that get Gerrard and Torres off and protect em for the league... I know some discussions have already started in this but I reckon we need to really come up with something different rather than letting Essien do another job on Stevie. chelsea don't rely on width the way they used to when Cole / Robben / Duff etc were all options... it was the passing through the middle that got us... Also, bolton hammered them aerially today and we have to look at that in terms of getting numbers in the box...we also need Agger to carry an additional threat by bringing the ball out....

I'd seriously go for...

Reina

Carra Agger Skrtl

Masch Alonso

Kuyt Aurelio

Gerrard Reira/Benny

Torres

the only doubt is whether to play Reira or Benny... I'd go for Reira for the aforementioned aerial threat....

Kuyt will work his socks off protecting that right flank and him and Gerrard can double up...ditto Aurelio and Reira... Masch and Alonso need to protect the defence and keep attack ticking over...

I know it may seem a little mad changing things at this stage but we need to surprise them and really go at them and I reckon this set-up could do it... if we get to 1-0 with 45 to go they'll get nervy!

C'MON THE MIGHTY REDS

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think we need to try anything new. Getting Masch back will be a huge bonus and will help us win in midfield and get to a lot of second balls. A lot depends on whether Rafa trusts Aurelio or not; I think Dossena might get a start so that he can bomb forward and try and put crosses in. I have a cheeky feeling that Benayoun might play left midfield to cut inside and make more men inside the box. Apart from that we dont need to change anything. If we can get the start that we did in the home fixture, we have the quality to get a couple of more goals over the 90 minutes. Blackburn didnt play today but we were very, very good especially with our work rate and movement upfront. Carvalho individually, is a better defender than Terry but Terry is the one who sets up the back four and they WILL miss him. I'd play Agger as well as he's good at attacking set pieces. I'm scared to play Hyypia against Drobga.

Pepe

Arbeloa Carra Agger Dossena

Alonso Mascherano

Kuyt Gerrard Benayoun

Torres.

I reckon we're really gonna have to have a go for the first 45... if it ain't working after that get Gerrard and Torres off and protect em for the league... I know some discussions have already started in this but I reckon we need to really come up with something different rather than letting Essien do another job on Stevie. chelsea don't rely on width the way they used to when Cole / Robben / Duff etc were all options... it was the passing through the middle that got us... Also, bolton hammered them aerially today and we have to look at that in terms of getting numbers in the box...we also need Agger to carry an additional threat by bringing the ball out....

I'd seriously go for...

Reina

Carra Agger Skrtl

Masch Alonso

Kuyt Aurelio

Gerrard Reira/Benny

Torres

the only doubt is whether to play Reira or Benny... I'd go for Reira for the aforementioned aerial threat....

Kuyt will work his socks off protecting that right flank and him and Gerrard can double up...ditto Aurelio and Reira... Masch and Alonso need to protect the defence and keep attack ticking over...

I know it may seem a little mad changing things at this stage but we need to surprise them and really go at them and I reckon this set-up could do it... if we get to 1-0 with 45 to go they'll get nervy!

C'MON THE MIGHTY REDS

Our best performances are when the full backs get forward. That team would have no width.

Our best performances are when the full backs get forward. That team would have no width.

I kow it didn't come out well the way the post was formatted but it would be 3 at the back with Kuyt and Aurelio pushed out wide and Gerrard/Kuyt overlapping on right and Reira/aurelio on left...

when we are going forward we should be committing 5 men to the attack

Kuyt Gerrard Reira Aurelio

Torres

and trusting to Alonso/Masch to hold the fort.... I would also tbh give Alonso a bit more freedom to push forward and allow Agger to distribute a little more... I think we need to overwhelm them completely!

I know we'll not play that way and if its our usual 4-2-3-1 I'll not be unhappy provided that Arbeloa/Aurelio bomb forward...Agger pushes the defence up and we press like mad from second 1... if we're in it at half time having given them a game we can be proud even if we run out of steam... I'll be gutted if we just fade...

this is theirs to lose and ours to gain... one goal from us with even 25 minutes left and it'll go mad!

Chewie

hmmmmm another suggestion..

------------reina-------------

arbeloa-carra-agger----insua-

------------masch-----------

-gerrard---alonso---benny--

----------------kuyt----------

-------------torres------------

Gerrard to be played wide right is key for me... i doubt chelsea will expect it, plus cole wont like seeing stevie attacking him at every chance....gerrard definetly has the beating of him, plus intellegence on the flanks will be vital in this game......chelsea will sit deep so pace is not going to be an issue....i

Its a bit simplistic but i'd start Hyypia and Agger, they're our biggest goal threats and we need goals, with Terry out we might be able to exploit a lack of organisation by them on set pieces and stuff. I know thats leaving out our organiser aswell, but Sami knows what he's at and we need goals. Wont happen but i'd like to see it.

Its a bit simplistic but i'd start Hyypia and Agger, they're our biggest goal threats and we need goals, with Terry out we might be able to exploit a lack of organisation by them on set pieces and stuff. I know thats leaving out our organiser aswell, but Sami knows what he's at and we need goals. Wont happen but i'd like to see it.

I agree. And Sami was our organiser back in the day, so we should be alright.

That said, Carra did some excellent providing today (albeit against an abject load of s***.)

that could work - Agger and Sami are a far greater threat at set pieces than Carra and Skrtl... we need every scrap we can get on Tuesday...

when they walk off the pitch on Tuesday night I want to be proud, not indifferent as was the response of so many last Wed... Indifference sucks... we've had that indifferent feeling for 19 years in the league.... if we fall short this year I want it to be on goal difference or by a penalty shoot-out or something.... if we lose fighting and taking risks so be it... it we simply lose then what's the point of playing...

that could work - Agger and Sami are a far greater threat at set pieces than Carra and Skrtl... we need every scrap we can get on Tuesday...

when they walk off the pitch on Tuesday night I want to be proud, not indifferent as was the response of so many last Wed... Indifference sucks... we've had that indifferent feeling for 19 years in the league.... if we fall short this year I want it to be on goal difference or by a penalty shoot-out or something.... if we lose fighting and taking risks so be it... it we simply lose then what's the point of playing...

100% agree

im trying to think of realistic posibilites....and Carra not starting aint gonna be one...

Maybe...a case for playing all 3.....with agger sitting in front of the other two.

-----------------reina---------------

------------carra-----skrtl----------

--arbeloa-------agger-------insua

---------alonso---------masch-----

------kuyt-----gerrard-------------

-----------------torres-------------

and compress the game in the middle......have both full backs try and stretch the wings..insua and arbeloa definetly have the pace and energy to do that.....

im trying to think of realistic posibilites....and Carra not starting aint gonna be one...

Maybe...a case for playing all 3.....with agger sitting in front of the other two.

and compress the game in the middle......have both full backs try and stretch the wings..insua and arbeloa definetly have the pace and energy to do that.....

it's a bit bonkers to introduce an extra defender when you need to score as many as we do.

You talk about realistic so choose 3 at the back and a player who cant play anyway!

You talk about realistic so choose 3 at the back and a player who cant play anyway!

apologies...forgot mighty insua was not registered.....so aurellio or doessena in..

and you say a bit bonkers to play an extra defender, well not... most pundits were saying it was crazy bringing on hamann against milan when we needed to score 3 goals??? no..it was tactically genius..

Chelsea are gonna set up expecting gerrard in the hole...they will also not expect agger to play in front of the back 4...let him sit there and do the alonso role....push alonso further forward and allow masch the freedom to go tearing about closing down......